• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Who else has a Canon EOS EF 50mm f1.2L USM on order

Will Thompson

Well Known Member
I am first inline at a local store.

And of course why.

For Me My 85 is a little long in tight spaces and I never touch my 1.4, in-fact I sold it.

Ivan Garcia

Will Thompson said:
So no one is considering this lens???

50mm f/1.4 = £220, 50mm f/1.2L = £1200, no contest realy (unless you got the cash to spare/you make lots of money with your photos) I would consider this lens at a more reasonable price... but, to be honest, I am very happy with my 50mm f/1.4 copy, so far, it has never let me down, even wide open.

Nill Toulme

I *think* I want one, but I won't know for sure until a few more solid hands-on reports and reviews are available. I want it for shooting sports in poorly lit high school venues, and the speed and accuracy of its AF performance will be critical to whether it's really useful in that situation.

Nill
~~
www.toulme.net

Ben Rubinstein

pro member
The 50mm and 85mm 1.2L lenses on a 1D mkII would be my idea of heaven for a wide open fast and accurately focusing system perfect for weddings. The 50mm 1.4 is OK but the bokeh could be better and although sharp wide open, is nothing special. However that combo would cost more than most of my entire camera/lens kit so I think I'll have to pass...

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Well Ben,

I finally grabbed one from B&H last night! Now I know 3 people who have ordered the lens. Two have arrived. Mine is on its way!

I like to shoot availble light and this will be great on the 5D or 1DII. I really like this focal length as it's great for portraits and groups and even landscapes.

Finally, something may beat my 50mm f2.5 Macro for the quality of the glass at 50mm.

I hope it is really as good as it should be!

Asher

Harvey Moore

Got mine from Pro Photo Supply also, $1467 including shipping.

This is one I have to learn to use at wider apertures. Test shots around the apt are ok, I'll be out tomorrow in the real world with it.

If all is well, will probably be on the 5D as default body cap. :)

harvey

Ken Tanaka

pro member
Asher Kelman said:
Mine arrives on the 26th all being well!

Am wondering, does B&H match prices?

Asher
No, I've only known them to match/beat a price several years ago on an item that was substantially more expensive than an slr lens. Since they gross more sales in a day than nearly any other store produces in a month they don't have to be quite so price-competitive.

This lens has gotten mixed early reviews from mixed owners (amateurs, amateur pros, and full-time pros). I'll be interested in seeing your opinion.

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
Had mine aabout 3 weeks

I've had mine a few weeks. Took it with me on a cruise for low light indoor shots at a couple parties. I did not have enough practice with it - It takes me a while to adapt to each lens. I was very happy with the first shots on my 5D but I am still working through making it do what I want. Love the bokeh and I love low/selective focused shots. This is replacing my 50 2.5 Macro for some things. I do like the feel and weight of it. I am having a party at my house tomorrow and I will probably use it for some portrait type photos of my friends.

ChrisDauer

Nill Toulme said:
No, but I got mine from Pro Photo Supply in Oregon for $1467, and I just saw a message claiming that Roberts Imaging is selling it for $1400.
Nill

Wow. BH is $1600. How reputable is Roberts Imaging? I didn't find them listed on resellerratings.com

Also, I noticed the 85/1.2 from BH was only $1790. I could have sworn it was $2200 just a month or so ago. Anyone know what's up, or am I just losing my mind?

Nill Toulme

Very reputable as far as I know. And $1790 sounds about right for the 85. Onecall accidentally listed it for about $1100 a month or so ago, including through Amazon, and there was quite a run of orders for that! None of them honored, of course, including my own. :-(

Nill
~~
www.toulme.net

Asher Kelman

I have mine and am delighted!

Unlike my usual custom, I admit to babying the lens with a UV filter for protection.

It focuses fast but one can't shoot from the hip at f 1.2 and hope to get anything in focus.

It has a water color girl from Japan inside who blows magic out of the camera to suround each subject with a mystery.

This is a lens for poetics not for documents!

I will be reporting shortly!

Asher

Harvey Moore

From 1st shoot w/50L, f2@800

340038332_21904b4ebe_o.jpg

Scott B. Hughes

Harvey et al,

...are you finding this lens to be similar to the 85/1.2 in that it has nice bokeh, but is quite sharp when opened up? And when stopped down is super sharp/crisp?

Scott

Harvey Moore

Scott,

I am getting "excellent" sharpness on the 50L with minimal sharpening, only enough to counter the AA filter effect on the 5D.

F1.2 very adequate, very good f1.4-1.8, excellent f2 +

There is some disagreement in the Canon forum at fm in this regard v other Canon 50 lenses, similar to the 85L v 85 1.8 wars that raged there a while back. I won't participate in the heated discussions, just happily use this gem.

Don't have an 85L, but the 50L is very close to my 35L, and nicer IQ than my 85 1.8

harvey

Asher Kelman

This is a magic lens!

I'll be posting shortly. Works fast and has a superb bokeh.

Perfect for low light work in a club or restaurant. however, don't try to get two people with f = 1.2!

Unless of course they are ligned up perfectly like soldiers, LOL!

Asher

Harvey Moore

Asher Kelman said:
.......however, don't try to get two people with f = 1.2!
Unless of course they are ligned up perfectly like soldiers, LOL!

Asher

At 1.2 it's a chore to get two eyes on one person in focus :)

harvey

Scott B. Hughes

Harvey Moore said:
Don't have an 85L, but the 50L is very close to my 35L, and nicer IQ than my 85 1.8

harvey

Back in the day my kit was a 24, 35, 50, and an 85. All Olympus and slow. <g> All was good. I want to recreate something similar for a smaller travel kit, fast stuff and not include any zooms.

I don't know the 35L... I recall so-so reviews, or am I mixing up lenses? The 35L has nice bokeh and is sharp as well?

I just spent 10 days on the Big Island (Hawaii) and took 3 lenses. The 16-35, 50/1.4 and the 85/1.2II. When I was packing, I thought will I miss the longer? I did a couple of times, the rest of the time I moved closer. I forgot to pack the 15mm, darnit.

Asher Kelman

I've had mine a month and except for a shoot last night of a quintet (2 violins, viola, cello and piano), where I needed to reduce the sound of the shutter and switch to the 70-200 2.8 L IS, I use just this one lens for everything, the 50mm 1.2 on the 5D.

Today I shot a model with that one lens.

For a fashion shoot two days ago I used both the 50 1.2 ans the 70-200 although I'd have preferred a 50-300!

Asher

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
I love it too

I have always like the 50 and I am loving this new lens too. I am used to my 50 2.5 macro where I can get a bit closer, but, like all things that are new to us, I am adjusting - it's beautiful. I am taking it with me to Santa Fe with the 70-200 2.8is and the 24-105 for my portrait/lighting class.