• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Pictures where color is king, essential and make things work powerfully!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
It's about time, let's celebrate our life that must seen in color!

It's the codes for humans. The blush of shyness, the pallor of shock, the emerald green of seas off southern Turkey, the main of a lion, all are componants that can hardly ever be replaced by just tonalities.

Show your pictures that must be in color to have full effect and where going to B&W would indeed be, draining its life blood.

Asher

Anything that easily goes to B&W and even improves as a monotone giving more impact, doesn't belong here, so test it first. :)

Last edited:

John Angulat

pro member
Where color is king

From a very old post.
Still one of my favorites.
I don't think this image would have any appeal to me in B&W:

JJA4670sm.jpg

Cem_Usakligil

Hi Asher,

It's about time, let's celebrate our life that must seen in color!

It's the codes for humans. The blush of shyness, the pallor of shock, the emerald green of seas off southern Turkey, the main of a lion, all are componants that can hardly ever be replaced.

Show your pictures that must be in color to have full effect and where going to B&W is indeed, drain the life blood.

Asher

Anything that easily goes to B&W and even improves as a monotone giving more impact, doesn't belong here, so test it first. :)
I think you are way too clever. By apparently giving us color fans a chance to prove the added value of color, you are also giving us a rope by which we can hang ourselves, aren't you? <LOL>

I think that you'll end up proving is that any good picture with a good composition and structure will survive the conversion to B&W and some will become even better as you wrote yourself. The other way around things are different and color is not always an added value. So you are at an advantage here :). Or perhaps not as there are also pictures which never can be as good in B&W as they are in color. My mind goes immediately out to the typical photographs of Nicolas, with those super yachts sailing on azure waters.

Although I prefer color to B&W in general, I evaluate each picture individually before I draw any conclusions. It is a pet irritation of mine when people think along the lines of: "oh it doesn't work in color so let's make it B&W to make it look artsy and interesting". To be fair to all, I also don't like asking for a color version of a picture when the photographer has chosen do show his/her work in B&W. Except when the OP is asking for C&C and a different (color) version is relevant to the discussion.

Nevertheless, here is a snap (nothing fancy, nothing artsy, nothing special: just a snap) which to my mind wouldn't work in B&W as well as it does in color. YMMV.

f05371.jpg

Cheers,

Asher Kelman

Cem,

I'm straightforward in this. We want to remove any impression that OPF could be drifting towards a monochrome view of life, despite the showing of more than a few strong images that are only energized in B&W presentation. Still, we can show that this is hardly the rule! Some pictures must be in color to have full effect. B&W might be also effective, but in these cases, the concept is likely altered drastically as the necessary vocabulary of color is missing.

We want to emphasize here works where color iis part of the essential vocabulary. So in this thread, we just want to celebrate those pictures that depend absolutely on color for success and the two examples by John, Cem and Ruben are just that.

Thanks and let's have more! :)

Asher

Last edited:

janet Smith

pro member
Some really nice shots here, so here is my offering, no way would this work without colour!

IMG_5618A.jpg

Autumn - Acer Palmatum Seiryu

Mike Shimwell

Some Northumbrian colour

All shot for colour and I think they work best (only!) in colour:)

Mike

After night falls - Mike Shimwell
4279907361_91e2fd5148_o.jpg

Celebration! - Mike Shimwell
4279907899_1bb41e2b4a_o.jpg

Holy Island Causeway -
4279906965_6fa773bb6c_o.jpg

Asher Kelman

Janet, Mike and Tom,

This collection is building a good sense of where color matters so much!

Thanks for sharing. Who else has examples!

Asher

Can't imagine this pepper not having its redness. I wonder what would happen if I photoshoped it in to skin color !

DSCF0002.jpg

I used to work as a PJ with TriXPan developed with D76 -sometimes even with Dektol, you just dipped the film in to the PAPER developer and count to 10 or something like that, can't remember, and you had a photo in to newspaper in no time Lol-- needless to say that this was strictly B&W. For some reason I just lived in this monochromatic world and all my old photos are perfectly well the way they are. At that time a revolution let itself know -for me at least- in the form of Susan Meisselas

Meiselas%20Nica.jpg

[Image redirected for non-commercial discussion]

Showing us the potential -and challenges of chrome slide film.

A few revolutions latter we all probably shoot all color, so this is an interesting question...

Last edited by a moderator:

Steve Davis

Hi All! I'm knew here. Here's two of mine that I can't imagine having impact without color.

766998562_7twnt-O.jpg

766997462_GTqWB-O.jpg

Without the color to separate the elements in this one, the wagon wheel and the fence behind become a jumbled mess.

Asher Kelman

Paul's picture, above, would be hardly as impressive in B&W. Here the color works to distinguish the light textured portion of the architecture. It's sand color is particularly beautiful and is part of the identity of the building and makes this photograph in contrast to the Nigel's use of dark shadow as a contrasting geometric component of this striking composition.

A simple test for color, is to ask the question, what work is it doing for the picture? Here the answer is, "everything!"

Asher

Steve Robinson

The weather been pretty dismal outside so I decided to try a macro inside. The dreary snowy weather made for some decent available light to illuminate the violets. Pentax K20D + SMC M 100mm f/4 Macro, 4s @ f/22, ISO 100.

782332844_KZQ25-O.jpg

Asher Kelman

The weather been pretty dismal outside so I decided to try a macro inside. The dreary snowy weather made for some decent available light to illuminate the violets. Pentax K20D + SMC M 100mm f/4 Macro, 4s @ f/22, ISO 100.

782332844_KZQ25-O.jpg

would have argued against anything more than f 8.0. Obviously what is blurred by the small aperture is not being resolved by the sensor and you have very sharp details. I'm so impressed. This fits n with one of my sayings, "Don't "think", try instead!"

This s a most remarkable and original composition with a sense of the yellow hands that holds the sword.

Kudos to you and mother nature!

Another win for color photography!

Asher

Asher Kelman

Fahim,

This one is such a great example of the necessity of color. There are few graffiti pantings that work in B&W. I expect there might be some that depend on composition more than the bold surprise strokes and rebellious screaming statements startling colors.

Asher

Phil Marion

I suppose this one would still look good in colour if processsed by someone proficient in convert to B&W - my attempts are not very good.

3670900326_e35af32437_o.jpg

Phil Marion

Thanks Bart - as much as I like the photo, i also like the story behind the photo. The shot almost never happened...all because of my own ingrained stupidity.

I was leaving to go to the Gay Parade in my city and decided I need an umbrella because it was raining. I couldn't find my own. My girlfriend gave me the one pictured above. My immediate reaction was "I not walking around with this silly umbrella!". I spent another 10 minutes frantically looking for my black umbrella but to no avail. I grudgingly took the colourful one thinking I'd use only it if I had to protect my gear. it wasn't until I got to the parade that I realised how stupid and pigheaded I was. The umbrella was PERFECT for the parade.
At one point I looked up and saw the colour and the raindrops and realised that I had a great photo. And how I almost didn't get a chance to see it - all because of my own stupidity.

Asher Kelman

I don't know, it's easy to like a sunset.

img3278sm.jpg
Harvey,

At the size shown, the players are too small to discern properly. There's action going on but we cannot know it. The sky is a sunset and so has to compete with all the sunset imges we have seen. It's the extra things that will make this distinguished. However, here, although they might be compelling, we cannot apprecaite that. Things are too small!

So if we'd see the players, perhaps that would make the picture that must have color. I suggest at least double the size and lightenng the figures a tad, if you can.

Asher

Harvey Jewett

OK, here it is a bit bigger and brighter. Unfortunately I shot this a while ago with a Canon 20D and so the shadow detail is a bit lacking. Thanks for your comments!

picnicisover.jpg

Matthew Bryan

One of several shot this afternoon

I brought flowers home for my wife and couldn't resist taking some shots. Here's one...

img_4900-1024x768.jpg