• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Cumbria - reflections

janet Smith

pro member
IMG_8001.jpg

Crummock Water

IMG_7744PB.jpg

Ullswater

IMG_7700PB.jpg

Ullswater​

Just a few of the shots from our weekend in the Lakes, we were lucky to have mirror like lakes while we were there, let me know what you think please.

Wayne Stratton

I love them all but I cant say enough about #1! I like the perception of distance the most and then they way it isnt centered, followed by the multiple, crystal clear reflections. Beautiful!

Last edited:

John Angulat

pro member
Jan, I have only one complaint - that you chose to post all 3 images at once!
I've been overwhelmed by too much of a good thing!
My compliments, these are wonderful.
Each has it's own merits, the geometric lines in the first, the tranquility of the second and the third for it's capture of the magnificent valley fading to the background.

Mike Shimwell

Ah Janet, I'm weary of working too much and these remind me that a weekend in the lakes is long overdue. I know and love Crummock and Buttermere - we got married at Wythop Mill just outside Cockermouth and our wedding reception was on the bank of Ullswater.

Lovely images as usual.

Mike

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

IMG_7744PB.jpg

Ullswater

Just a few of the shots from our weekend in the Lakes, we were lucky to have mirror like lakes while we were there, let me know what you think please.

Claude_Monet%2C_Impression%2C_soleil_levant%2C_1872.jpg

Claude Monet Wikipedia Image

Of course, Janet, we love the first one. Enough said. However here there's actually more going for the picture. The water has transformed the brightly lit pint of the trees to an impressionist image of the 19th Century.

The water, made light using levels will show this.

Asher

janet Smith

pro member
I love them all but I cant say enough about #1! I like the perception of distance the most and then they way it isnt centered, followed by the multiple, crystal clear reflections. Beautiful!

Hi Wayne

Thank you very much, funny, I was very unsure about No 1, but I really liked the contrast between the green island and the rust of the dead bracken on the bank, I'm glad you like it.

janet Smith

pro member
Ah Janet, I'm weary of working too much and these remind me that a weekend in the lakes is long overdue. I know and love Crummock and Buttermere - we got married at Wythop Mill just outside Cockermouth and our wedding reception was on the bank of Ullswater

Oh Mike! It's so important to make sure you get time off, you must make time for yourself! It's amazing how all the stresses of everyday living seem to slip off your shoulders in a serene place, we walked for quite some time around Crummock Water, I always like to be in or right next to the water, there was still ice in places, mostly the ground was hard so mud wasn't a problem. We also went to Deepdale and walked over the tops which was just beautiful, it's amazing how much you can fit in to a weekend.

What a lovely place to get married - and to have your reception on the banks of Ullswater is absolutely idylllic!

Make sure you go back soon.

janet Smith

pro member
Of course, Janet, we love the first one. Enough said. However here there's actually more going for the picture. The water has transformed the brightly lit pint of the trees to an impressionist image of the 19th Century.

The water, made light using levels will show this

Hi Asher

Thank you, I have loads more shots of reflections where I have zoomed in tightly into the reflections, we were only there two days but I've come back with 100's of shots to work through. The problem with the tightly framed reflection shots is that they look confusing, the reflections are so perfect, you have to look closely to see what they are, I'm wondering how best to work them, when I get to them, I may post some to see what you think, (I'm still struggling with my warped jetty at the moment!!) Thanks for the advice about levels on this shot, I'll try it.

janet Smith

pro member
Jan, I have only one complaint - that you chose to post all 3 images at once!
I've been overwhelmed by too much of a good thing!

Hi John

Well this made me laugh, thank you, which has to be the best thing about going away for a few days, I've hardly stopped laughing since I came back! Glad you like them - thank you!

Asher Kelman

Hi Asher

Thank you, I have loads more shots of reflections where I have zoomed in tightly into the reflections, we were only there two days but I've come back with 100's of shots to work through. The problem with the tightly framed reflection shots is that they look confusing, the reflections are so perfect, you have to look closely to see what they are, I'm wondering how best to work them, when I get to them, I may post some to see what you think, (I'm still struggling with my warped jetty at the moment!!) Thanks for the advice about levels on this shot, I'll try it.

Janet,

The perfect pictures with perfect reflections I like but there's little for freebase musing. In the particular picture I selected, the water ripples had broken up the reflections so that the images in the water are remade in a much softer stroke form. That looked impressionistic to me. I spent some time with that image and removed the top portion with the lighten on the hillside and just sharpened the real trees but nothing else and brightened the pink parts of the trees and it works very well.

Asher

janet Smith

pro member
I spent some time with that image and removed the top portion with the lighten on the hillside and just sharpened the real trees but nothing else and brightened the pink parts of the trees and it works very well

Did you keep it, if so would you post it so I can see, but thank you for being interested enough to try.....

Steve Robinson

These are terrific Janet. I do like the 1st best though. I think they should be in a travel brochure. I might even have to visit there someday.

Wendy Thurman

Janet-

#1 is very strong. That patch of green sets up a lot of tension and the image is immaculately composed. Very nice photograph.

Wendy

janet Smith

pro member
#1 is very strong. That patch of green sets up a lot of tension and the image is immaculately composed. Very nice photograph

Hi Wendy

Yes it was the patch of green opposite the rust that inspired the composition, glad you like it, thanks for commenting, hope all is well with you....

StuartRae

Hi Jan,

Sorry not to reply earlier, but I've been far too busy coughing :-(

All three are beautiful, and at a first glance #1 is the best. But then I looked again and fell in love with the light in #2, especially the patch of sun illuminating the trees on the left and the hillside above them.

More please,

Stuart

janet Smith

pro member
Sorry not to reply earlier, but I've been far too busy coughing :-(

All three are beautiful, and at a first glance #1 is the best. But then I looked again and fell in love with the light in #2, especially the patch of sun illuminating the trees on the left and the hillside above them.

More please

Hi Stuart

Sorry to hear you've been coughing, hope you're feeling better now. I'm glad you enjoyed my shots of the Lakes, here's a few more for you.....

IMG_8128PB.jpg

Derwent Water

IMG_7644.jpg

Deepdale

IMG_8026.jpg

Honister Pass​

StuartRae

Hi Jan,

I'm glad you enjoyed my shots of the Lakes, here's a few more for you.....

Thanks. I enjoy looking at any shot of the Lakes, especially other people's. I like the way the ducks line up with the jetty in #1. I see there's still some snow on Skiddaw. Special thanks for the shot of Deepdale, which I've not visited for the best part of 30 years; I must get back there again.

Regards,

Stuart

Phil Marion

lovely shots.
Only suggestion is that you crop the reflected sky out of them (the sky in the bottom half) and include the sky in the top half of the photo. The non-reflected sky would have more detail.

Cem_Usakligil

Hi Jan,

All I've wanted to say has been mentioned before me. Let me just say that I like them a lot, especially the first one. The warped jetty with the ducks is quite lovely. Thanks for showing :).

janet Smith

pro member
Hi Stuart, Phil & Cem

Thank you, yes I quite like the jetty with the ducks, still a bit bothered by the flat light, but it looks quite tranquil & serene I think in this shot.

Here are a couple more of Deepdale just to refresh your memory a bit more Stuart, very harsh light, but a lovely place, I'll be going again very soon, as soon as we get a good day!

IMG_7579.jpg

Deepdale

IMG_7635.jpg

Deepdale

Asher Kelman

Hi Stuart

Sorry to hear you've been coughing, hope you're feeling better now. I'm glad you enjoyed my shots of the Lakes, here's a few more for you.....

IMG_8128PB.jpg

Derwent Water​

Janet,

Such a site should indeed cure Stuart's cough and a lot more! I enjoy the life you have marked in your photograph of the jetty with the ducks continuing that direction into the open water. Once again there are the delicate paster layers of distant hill features softened by the intervening atmospherics in the distance.

This is more than a remedy, it's a treat that gives and gives!

Asher

It might be strengthened by cropping the lower 0.5 com or so before the first interrupted reflection of the jetty. This then sets the start of the entry to the jetty immediately and then more expeditiously leads of to the ducks and so we might have a greater degree of action and life.

janet Smith

pro member
Such a site should indeed cure Stuart's cough and a lot more! I enjoy the life you have marked in your photograph of the jetty with the ducks continuing that direction into the open water. Once again there are the delicate paster layers of distant hill features softened by the intervening atmospherics in the distance.

This is more than a remedy, it's a treat that gives and gives!

Thank you Asher! You're right, we felt great while we were there, loads of fresh cold crisp air and long walks, then in for a lovely meal by a log fire....

I have another one with a swan with it's wings outstretched and more with the ducks, they're next for processing. Yes they provide an important injection of life into this tranquil scene, and I agree about the slight crop - thank you for pointing it out.