• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Commercial Beauty shot and BTS

Figured since this is a current ad for Canon in the back of Feb's PDN magazine, I can post the lighting diagram and BTS video link. A little more whimsical than my norm. :D

All speedlites. This can be seen in this months PDN back inside cover page as an ad for Canon, 5D2 and Speedlites.

Also a video of the shooting is attached.

All speedlites: BTS video can be seen here, http://www.youtube.com/user/NYPhotographics#p/a/u/0/Ol3v16FxbCs one of these is in February PDN as well. 100iso @ F8 @ 1/200th 150mm and longer Using a Kacey BD made for speedlites, and Grid, strobies grids on rims/hair light, lastolite trigrip diffuser as a fill and honl snoot on background. ST-E2 master and 580EX2 slaves

butterfly_setup.jpg

12.jpg

11.jpg

10.jpg

was more than one light, but since they were tiny speedlites they all amount to less than one broncolor verso head :p

No actual Butterfly's were harmed in the making of these images

Stephen Eastwood
http://www.NYPhotographics.com

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Steve,

The video is enjoyable, the girl adorable, you hands just fit on her wait perfectly when you guider her back. A great demonstration of Canon's STE-2 and speedlights and how that can be used with a huge grid and a diffuser.

Congrats on the successful ad!

Asher

Doug Kerr

Hi, Steve,

Figured since this is a current ad for Canon in the back of Feb's PDN magazine, I can post the lighting diagram and BTS video link. A little more whimsical than my norm

Nice work, precious model, very interesting BTS.

So glad to see the Speedlites and Canon Wireless Flash System getting some respect.

Glad you have the youthful strength to wrangle that milk bottle.

Thanks.

Best regards,

Doug

everything on this site http://www.stepheneastwood.com/stefaniya of that model is shot with speedlites there is also another behind the scenes, on her video page, that go with a more elaborate setup turning the night into streaming daylight coming in the windows as well. Some more details about that was previously posted but you can see more info on the setups here: http://stepheneastwood.com/tutorials/Speedlite_Sample1.htm

They work very well, in situations where I had to place them outside I used all TT5's from Pocketwizard to control all the lights.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
This shows the versatility of using the camera-dedicated flash units and each set can get their own modifier and power setting.

Asher

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
Canon

Canon had a class in Los Angeles last year for professional photographers on using the speedlight system in a studio setting or on location taught by Jim Kennedy. They brought all kinds of interesting diffusers. (plus lenses and printers too)

David Honl had an open house a month ago doing the same with his Nikon stuff and his Honl speedlight modifiers. You can do most everything with his modifiers on a speedlight setup. I did an event shoot with a portrait set up and tried it but I wan't as happy with the first try because I used a photoflex speedlight softbox on it, which I thought was too flimsy. I like his gobos, snoots and grids with gels, I want hsi mini softligher.

I did just buy some Westcott Apollos and they work perfectly with my speedlights for some off camera flash and location portrait work. Much better than a speedlight, speed ring and softbox combo.

Thanks for sharing your setup = gorgeous stuff.