• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Just for Fun No C&C will be given: New looking old

Went to the local small town parade a while back, this is a friend of mine that was riding in it.

4438509676_e9d6f8ac97_o.jpg

Marshall Everett: New looking old

I had the thought of taking his current look and making it look more vintage. Went to B/W in PS and added a few texture layers. He really liked the shot, bought a nice sized image for his office. I am playing with textures and brush work to experience a different style of art and am open to any input on techniques etc. about the use of textures.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Went to the local small town parade a while back, this is a friend of mine that was riding in it.

I had the thought of taking his current look and making it look more vintage. Went to B/W in PS and added a few texture layers. He really liked the shot, bought a nice sized image for his office. I am playing with textures and brush work to experience a different style of art and am open to any input on techniques etc. about the use of textures.

4438509676_e9d6f8ac97_o.jpg

Marshall Everett: New looking old

Marshall,

You name, "Marshall", fits in well with this picture of a rider with a touch of swagger and a sense of authority but an agreeable demeanor, riding into town. It does remind us of the old times and while we know it's not genuine, the quick brush stroke overlays of the added textures gets us to stage him as if he would have his horse leap out of the screen and become real.

Using obvious technique is against the way craftsmen usually work as they might want to make it seem as if this actually was from the past. However, your presentation says the truth and is innocent of anything but play-acting a role, an that is fun.

We shouldn't dismiss filters and textures as just "assemble by the effect" trivial pursuits, although often that's what it turns out to be. Our prejudice is against use of such manipulations. We want to see the photographer's work! (However, I admit guilt in doing a lot of mathematical derivations on my own artwork.) Still, Pre-made commercial textured layers or such plugins are tools, (some would say, "tricks", we usually shun.

However, after having put up the obvious objections, if the picture works for its purpose, then one has to give credit, as credit is due. Here is one such example. You have pulled this off rely well and I am enjoying the picture a lot. I am sure it will give tons of pleasure to the man and his family.

Asher

One suggestion is to collect one's own textures, pictures that might have no subject but have interesting patterns or structure and then use these when one wants to weave something more complex that the image as it came out of the camera.

One suggestion is to collect one's own textures, pictures that might have no subject but have interesting patterns or structure and then use these when one wants to weave something more complex that the image as it came out of the camera.

Hi Asher,

I agree, and a sheet of plain paper and some (left over) tea will make for a fine real-size texture after scanning/shooting. One can even create realistic wrinkes and such.

Cheers,
Bart

Hi Marshall,

To answer you question, I think this guy is about the best I have seen with the use of textures.
http://www.regnierphotography.com/REGNIERPHOTOGRAPHY/Welcome.html

Hope you like them.

Graham

Hi Graham,
I looked at this site and have come away with some ideas to work with. I am shooting a wedding later on and they are a very young couple that want some "special" touches. Thank you for the link as I see some effects that I want to try.
Marshall

However, after having put up the obvious objections, if the picture works for its purpose, then one has to give credit, as credit is due. Here is one such example. You have pulled this off rely well and I am enjoying the picture a lot. I am sure it will give tons of pleasure to the man and his family.

Asher

[/QUOTE]

Thank you Asher, your input means a lot and I am grateful for the feedback. I do not want to create gross exaggerations of my images, but use some textures that will compliment the setting and catch the eye of the audience in a way that has them stop and appreciate the image.
I will post some others soon.
Marshall

fahim mohammed

A very good capture of your friend. Might I suggest that you try how this one would look with just
one effect. I find it a bit busy; but then I ain't no artist and multiprocessing brain I sure don't own!

Regards.