• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Shooting Classical Ensembles on and off stage.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
It's fun and an adventure to photograph musicians who play together in an ensemble, as each personality is working to express themselves and to support the music of each other. There's often no conductor, so they develop signals. One has to watch the heads as they move and the instruments of one person cover up another or conflict with a composition. Sometimes a page is turned and that's interesting or at the moment when everyone else was perfect. During this time, one cannot easily move around a lot. There's no flash and no repeating anything for the camera.

So I've learned to manage as best as possible during the performance but now I've also pressed to corner the artists, literally for 60 seconds or so, in front of a white seamless with two lights, one from the side and another giant source close to them. I'd hoped that with control of the lights, we'd be able to show more of the character, beauty and sensibility of these exceptional musicians.

I was taking down my lights prior to moving to a better space for my studio when I realized I could try to get the very talented Chamber Ensemble Musicians together into my tiny lair just enough for a quick snap with at least halfway decent lighting. The idea was daunting as the space is so tiny and there's of course the precious instruments we don't want to damage! Well, I coaxed them in a space really sufficient for at the most two people to pose.

_MG_1914.jpg

Asher Kelman: Colburn Chamber Music Society 1

_MG_1918_cropped.jpg

Asher Kelman: Colburn Chamber Music Society 2

Asher

more pictures to follow

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

Experience The Colburn Chamber Music Society in Concert, Los Angeles! Admission free!

February's Colburn Chamber Music Society (CCMS) concert featured guest artists Guillaume Sutre (violin), Colburn Faculty Ronald Leonard (cello) and Paul Coletti (viola) and Conservatory musicians collaborating to perform works by Fauré and Brahms. These you missed out on. The performances were spectacular and the audience was spellbound. You still have a chance to see and hear them play!

The last two CCMS concerts of the season are this week on Sunday, April 11th and Monday, April 12th. For more information, check the ColburnSchool.edu website. The series is sponsored by Carol and Warner Henry. CCMS guest artists for the 2009/2010 season are presented through a generous contribution from the Los Angeles Philanthropic Committee for the Arts.

If you are in or near Los Angeles, don't miss two very special Colburn Chamber Music Series concerts next week. It's at The Colburn School, diagonally opposite Frank Gehry's Walt Disney Concert Hall masterpiece on Grand Avenue. So it's an easy location to find.

The dates are Sunday, April 11, at 3:00PM and Monday, April 12, at 8:00PM in Zipper Hall.

The April 11th concert will feature guest artist Movses Pogossian, violin; Colburn faculty members Ronald Leonard, cello, and Jim Walker, flute; and LA Opera's Domingo-Thornton Young Artists Erica Brookhyser, soprano, and José Adán Perez, baritone.

The Monday, April 12, concert features guest artists James Conlon, conductor and Movses Pogossian, violin; Colburn faculty Jim Walker, flute; Colburn alumnus Benjamin Jaber, horn; and Conservatory musicians. The Program juxtaposes the music of Richard Wagner, (associated with the Nazis) with works by composers whose lives and works were significantly affected by the Nazi regime.

Remember, admission is free, no tickets are required. So why not make a point of attending. If you do, let me know and I'll show you around!

Asher

No pictures allowed, LOL! Just enjoy the music!

I was taking down my lights prior to moving to a better space for my studio when I realized I could try to get the very talented Chamber Ensemble Musicians together into my tiny lair just enough for a quick snap with at least halfway decent lighting. The idea was daunting as the space is so tiny and there's of course the precious instruments we don't want to damage! Well, I coaxed them in a space really sufficient for at the most two people to pose.

Hi Asher,

You've done well, given the limited maneuvering space. The subjects look very relaxed, and enjoying the moment. A nice, almost informal looking, result.

Cheers,
Bart

Asher Kelman

Hi Bart,

This was taken with at 24mm with, I believe the 24-105 L before it stopped working!. I now have a larger studio with a great view overlooking the city hall in the distance and to my left, the Walt Disney Concert Hall. Unfortunately, shots like this are still not possible with the 50 mm lens as my studio is not deep enough. Maybe a 35 mm lens will suffice.

Asher

Cem_Usakligil

Hi Asher,

You've done well, given the limited maneuvering space. The subjects look very relaxed, and enjoying the moment. A nice, almost informal looking, result.
I agree with Bart, +1. BTW, DxO has a nice volume anamorphosis correction feature which might be useful for such group pictures taken at close quarters with a wide lens. Do you want me to correct these for you as a test?

Cheers,

Asher Kelman

Hi Asher,

I agree with Bart, +1. BTW, DxO has a nice volume anamorphosis correction feature which might be useful for such group pictures taken at close quarters with a wide lens. Do you want me to correct these for you as a test?

Cheers,
Cem,

I'd be so appreciative for your efforts with any of my pictures. It will be informative to see how we can do better! Does DXO know the lens or one has to set the parameters by trial and error?

Asher

Asher,

Being in agreement with all that's already been said, I'll just mention a couple of other items that caught my attention.

The artists seem to be enjoying the activity and seem to be particularly happy with the opportunity to display their beautiful instruments. This makes the first image really sing for me.

Due to some quirk of focal length, camera position, lighting, and/or the seamless background, the artists in the rear seem to be floating above the floor. for me. the effect is more pronounced at camera-left. I didn't notice it immediately but once I did, I have had trouble getting past it. Is it just me?

Asher Kelman

Due to some quirk of focal length, camera position, lighting, and/or the seamless background, the artists in the rear seem to be floating above the floor. for me. the effect is more pronounced at camera-left. I didn't notice it immediately but once I did, I have had trouble getting past it. Is it just me?

Winston,

I think you are correct. This might be in part due to a tad of anamorphic distortion laterally and also that the shadow is missing at his feet. Cem is generously offering to run this through DXO for us!

Asher