• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Into the Empty Quarter...

fahim mohammed

Travel as a small group of friends. 4 wheelers. Experienced in sand and rocky terrain driving.
vehicles fully maintained..check
vehicles spares..check
benzine..check
sand equipment..check
supplies...check
first aid kits..check
water..check
water..check
water...check
GPS x2 ..check
Sat phone x2 ..check
Cell phones x2 ..check
Phone supplies..check
Camera equipment..check

Family and friends know the route..check

We shall head west, then south across the desert to the coast then east, north , finally west towards
home.

Travelling point to point is relatively easy. One has to avoid being dulled into a sense of complacency.
The road is straight..for 100, 200, 300, 400, 500 kms. Cruise control enforces sleep.
It is hot..very hot. either side is the desert.
the mirage is everywhere...

p1013262662-3.jpg

The never ending road...we have been driving all day. we need to find camp site before darkness falls.
With sunset approaching fast..we turn south into the empty quarter..sand,,sand, sand and rock for
hundreds of kilometers in all directions. We are in the territory of the bedouins, my ancestors.

There is a thrill. The desert calls, we answer the call..

p4237905-3.jpg

The beauty of the desert in the setting sun.. unrivaled by any sight we have witnessed. Rush of adrelin,
the power steering seems to know where to go..deep into the desert. As if even the machine wants
to answer the call of my home...

p1040904807-3.jpg

It is sunset. we find a camping site.

we park our vehicles. get our tents set up.

Face towards Makkah, we bow in submission to Allah. It is time for evening prayers.

The dusk is receding fast..the deep, deep blackness of the night shall soon be upon us.
And so will the millions and millions of stars. The great bear, the little bear. We know our directions.

p960218793-3.jpg

We say our night time prayers; go to sleep gazing at the stars, thanking the Creator of the Heavens and the Earth and everything there is. We have to rise early tomorrow.

Good night.

May you all wake up in good health and good fortune.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
What an adventure! This Fahim is a splendid journey that will take you through dawns and dunes and sunsets. Thanks for sharing with us.

Be safe under the watchful eye of the heavens!

Asher

Mike Shimwell

Fahim

This is splendid. I recall your comments about the green of the English Peak District, and my thoughts on the desert are similar.

I wish you well and that He keep you safe and bring you home.

Mike