• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Glenfiddich

Prateek Dubey

59560-F.jpg

Glenfiddich : Prateek Dubey

A little photoshopped, as in some time spent with the clone stamp tool, a little darkening on the left bottom, the rest is as is.

Kevin Stecyk

Kevin,

Good job, but how about saying what you did and putting the b.g. back?

Asher

Putting the background back? If you want the original background, simply delete my version. Or overlay my version on the original and just use a mask to bring back the original background.

What did I do? Going from memory...
  1. Imported item into Photoshop
  2. Examined the channels...most were very dark with red being the lightest (no surprise)
  3. Duplicated the layer, and then blended red into green on the top layer at about 40% (or something like that)...wanted to make the green channel lighter
  4. I then opened up the green channel
  5. Changed top layer to luminosity
  6. Added a curves layer and adjusted green channel...I should have made the curves layer in luminosity blend...don't recall if I did that though
  7. Flattened file
  8. Assigned a false profile to make the image appear lighter
  9. Converted to CMYK
  10. In CMYK, I adjusted the black channel...poisoned the image intentionally
  11. Went into LAB mode.
  12. Duplicated the layer
  13. Top layer mode changed to multiply
  14. Image is now overly wild in color and too dark...apply mask using L background channel ...blur mask 5px
  15. Applied Curves layer with A and B shifted in unequal proportions
  16. I also fussed with the lightness channel slightly as I recall
  17. Stamped all layers together at the top of the stack
  18. Added another curves layer where I darkened the image...added a mask to restrict the darkening to the floor or table top only
  19. Flattened file and converted to sRGB

I think that pretty much captures my steps. If I were to do it again, it would look different. I was not careful and studious in my settings. While the steps look long and complicated, it took me about 2-3 minutes top, maybe less.

Did I answer your question or have I missed the mark? I am not sure the intent of your question or the precision you were seeking.

Note, the moves are pretty aggressive. You can see a lot of banding in my version. Perhaps a larger file with more bits to play with would help. Or you do other stuff to remove the banding.

Kevin Stecyk

Thanks Kevin. Its an interesting perspective.

With the green bottle and red background, I wanted to emphasize the color contrast. So that's what you see. I wanted the green bottle to jump off the page. I am not sure I accomplished that though. We tend to look at the brightest parts of an image, which is the wall. So in my version, it is almost as though the wall is the focus of attention and the bottle is a prop. Which is the inverse of what you were wanting to achieve.

I like color contrasts though. So, I like this strong colorful version, though it won't be to everyone's taste.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Putting the background back?

I like the original obscure b.g. and prefer your new version of the bottle!

Did I answer your question or have I missed the mark? I am not sure the intent of your question or the precision you were seeking.

Thanks for sharing your approach. It's interesting and I must run through it. I'm sure it will give me new ideas. I have not been going to ÇMYK to take advantage of the black channel rather I have increased black on on a per color basis. Your approach is global and could be advantageous to do first and then refine on a per color basis if need be.

Thanks,

Asher

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I carelessly and recklessly used a mask to get rid of my background. In other words, I didn't fuss the mask. It's late and I'm calling it a night very soon.

59560-F.jpg

Original

20101001Bottle2.jpg

Edited by Kevin Stecyk

That's sporting of you, Kevin! Cheers! It looks far better now!

Asher

Joachim Bolte

I like the composition, but I wonder if the picture wouldn't be more apealing when you could see the scotch itself. Ask yourself what is the subject of your picture: the whiskey, the bottle it is in, the label or a combination of those three. As with your perfume bottle, you also have to take in account your audience. Is it a whiskey for the weathered Islay-drinker, or for the occasional speyside-nipper? Is it a male or a female whiskey? Is it spring-like or autumn-like? What is its taste-pallette, and should you see a hint to it in the picture?

Most people associate whiskey with 'gold', the sunset, a woodfire, the area it's coming from etc etc. (I should know, I collect single malt scotch) Your picture gives the appearance of 'darkness', it is like there is cough-sirup in the bottle, and everything except the label is dark. I wouldn't be compelled to get myself a bottle of this stuff.

If you would spotlight it from the side or the back, the light would spread through the contents of the bottle, and it would give the glass a nice green shine. There are not much whiskeys that come in a green jar, but if you Google-search for pictures of f.e. Ardbeg, Laphroaig or Caol Isla (brown bottle) you should get an idea. You will notice that even when the background is dark, the bottle contents are well lit. Also you will see that sometimes the golden color is edited in. The association with it is is more important than the accurate depiction of the colors.

Ardbeg_christmas.jpg

Prateek Dubey

I like the composition, but I wonder if the picture wouldn't be more apealing when you could see the scotch itself. Ask yourself what is the subject of your picture: the whiskey, the bottle it is in, the label or a combination of those three. As with your perfume bottle, you also have to take in account your audience. Is it a whiskey for the weathered Islay-drinker, or for the occasional speyside-nipper? Is it a male or a female whiskey? Is it spring-like or autumn-like? What is its taste-pallette, and should you see a hint to it in the picture?

Most people associate whiskey with 'gold', the sunset, a woodfire, the area it's coming from etc etc. (I should know, I collect single malt scotch) Your picture gives the appearance of 'darkness', it is like there is cough-sirup in the bottle, and everything except the label is dark. I wouldn't be compelled to get myself a bottle of this stuff.

If you would spotlight it from the side or the back, the light would spread through the contents of the bottle, and it would give the glass a nice green shine. There are not much whiskeys that come in a green jar, but if you Google-search for pictures of f.e. Ardbeg, Laphroaig or Caol Isla (brown bottle) you should get an idea. You will notice that even when the background is dark, the bottle contents are well lit. Also you will see that sometimes the golden color is edited in. The association with it is is more important than the accurate depiction of the colors.

Ardbeg_christmas.jpg

Hello Joachem,
Very important observations. Since I'm not too much of a connosieur I simply concentrated on the nature of alcohol and not its character. Thus the dark side and the red streak were the main elements. But as you rightly pointed out, the event of whisky drinking and the ceremony attached to it, besides the individual character as the important elements of the whisky should be the defining elements of the picture. I'm going to re shoot it. For me its a bit difficult to remember Glenfiddich ( There's none left in the house and I didn't pay attention while enjoying it), however I thought it was smooth, thin, pale and only sharp when at the back of the mouth. It didn't linger too long in my breath.
It would be very valuable if you could describe Glenfiddich to me. To me elements related to memory come to mind.

Joachim Bolte

@Prateek,

first of all, ask yourself what your customer wants you to depict: Is this a picture about the 'dark side' of alcohol, maybe alcohol abuse, or about the beauty of a single malt whiskey? Your picture should breathe that message.

If you search google for "Glenfiddich 12 tasting notes" you should get a good hint on what it is about. Glenfiddich is a Speyside whiskey, they tend to be 'softer' than the brute Islay whiskeys. Also it is considered a mediocre beginners-drink by the people who are accustomed to single malts. Taste- and scentnotes that are present can include hay, caramel, green apples, stuff people associate with autumn and rural scenery. The differents sorts have different bottles and labels, you could try to combine the colors of those with your background, just as the green and gold from the ardbeg bottle in the example I gave. Also you could try to bring in some 'softness', because most novices tend to associate whiskey with the sharp sting of alcohol. You want to take that image away, and replace it with something nice, warm, brownish and soft. You could throw in some barley, a few apples or other props like an authentic tasting glass (a dram), that's up to you.

What you could do: make a Google image search, and see how the distillers themselves present their bottles. That gives you an indication on what is in the bottle. You could vary on that.

Prateek Dubey

Joachim,
That's a very very good advice. Thank you so much. I was not very clear when I began taking the picture. Got swayed away with the bottle and the lighting idea I had in mind. Thanks again for bringing in the right perspective.

Jarmo Juntunen

Joachim already took this thread to a right path. Here's another note from an Islay drinker. I like the original version but what stroke me immediately was the use of a miniature bottle (yes, a whisky lover can easily see that). As I completely agree with Joachim's assesment of Glenfiddich I started to think about using a miniature bottle to that end. Small bottle, mediocre taste... I'll need to get back to this.

Joachim Bolte

Another tip, for the photography part, is to treat a bottle with a transparent liquid in it as a lens. You will be able to see through them, so you should light the background the way you want the bottle to look. Also color-choice is important. In your shot you have a dark red background. If you put a green bottle in front of that (that lets through only green light), the result will be that allmost all light will be filtered out, and your bottle will end up black...

After you lit the background, you can put some additional lighting on there to get shiny effects or caustic effects going on. In the ardbeg example above, I suspect they lit the (velvet?) background heavily, put a diffuse spot on the bottle itself and rolled in a dark screen partly in front of this to get the very sharp black definition on the lefthand side of the bottle... Or maybe it's CGI, you don't know nowadays... :)

After that, your basic image is OK, and you can edit away to fine-tune it... make the liquid more yellow, desaturate the background, burn the sides of the bottle and the box a bit. You can go a 1000 ways.