• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Just for Fun No C&C will be given: The Painted Heavens

Rajan Parrikar

pro member
Northern Lights tonight over Lake Mývatn in north Iceland. For more, go here.

aurora.jpg

Mike Shimwell

Very beautiful - was the exposure reasonably long, and what iso and aperture did you use? The stars are nice and bright, sugesting either a very black night sky (something I long for over here in the UK) or a contrast boost in file preparation?

Mike

Rajan Parrikar

pro member
Very beautiful - was the exposure reasonably long, and what iso and aperture did you use? The stars are nice and bright, sugesting either a very black night sky (something I long for over here in the UK) or a contrast boost in file preparation?

Mike

The EXIF from the file has all the details:

Camera Maker: Canon
Camera Model: Canon EOS 5D Mark II
Lens: EF14mm f/2.8L II USM
Image Date: 2010-10-10
Focal Length: 14mm
Focus Distance: Infinite
Aperture: f/2.8
Exposure Time: 20.000 s
ISO equiv: 800
Exposure Bias: none
Metering Mode: Matrix
Exposure: aperture priority (semi-auto)
White Balance: Auto
Flash Fired: No

Paul Abbott

Rajan, this is a beautiful composition of these lights! The aspect you have in looking directly up at this light-fall is fantastic. The star-field is a great backdrop, too. Nice one!

Andy brown

I live in southern Australia,latitude 36 degrees south, once in every few decades we will be able to see the aurora australis (southern lights), the last time it was visible was about ten years ago (that I know of), I had a housemate at the time who came home late one night and saw the aurora. He told me in the morning, he thought about waking me up but decided not to.
I would have killed to have seen it.

Maybe one day.

Something vaguely similar that I have seen is massive congregations of phosphorescent organisms in the ocean on a dark night where each wave that broke was a glowing, luminescent, limey green explosion. That was pretty special too.

Andy brown

Rajan, in the twenty seconds of exposure (a nice time frame BTW because the stars still appear as point sources of light not elongated), was there any movement of the lights or are they static for that time period?

Rajan Parrikar

pro member
Rajan, in the twenty seconds of exposure (a nice time frame BTW because the stars still appear as point sources of light not elongated), was there any movement of the lights or are they static for that time period?

Andy,

20 seconds is about the outer limit before the point sources start generating visible trails at 100%. You may be able to stretch that to 30 seconds if you don't look too closely at the image. After that the trails are easily discernible.