• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

In Perspective, Fun: Skyy meets Black

Does this need more light?

_MG_0092.jpg

Skyy Vodka by Cody W.

_MG_0094.jpg

Not necessarily, but you need to gain more control of the ones you are using. The messy reflections, and reflections of reflections don't help the photo.

Look at the watch thread for some sage advice on shooting products and how to make them look desirable.

You have the same issues here, Cody. Uncontrolled reflections, messy background, and awkward placement that leads to poor composition.

Once again, I suggest you buy and read "Light - Science & Magic" to learn how light works and how to control it. It will take you a long way toward making good product shots.

Cody, here's an picture that's similar to what you're trying to do.

It's far from perfect, but the basics are right.

IMG_0216.jpg

It uses specular highlights to define the shapes of the bottle and glass. The label is lighted separately from the bottle.

The reflections of the lights are controlled (except for the right side of the glass), and are placed to show that the bottle is round and shiny.

The reflections of reflections are all controlled to not show the lights, camera, etc.

This was shot in front of one 36" wide softbox with a strip of black foil (blackwrap or Cinefoil) down the middle behind the bottle, carefully flagged so light didn't spash around. And one strobe with a 10deg honeycomb grid overhead to light the label.

It was shot on black plex to provide the reflection of the bottle and glass. I put black drapes on each side of the set so the room wouldn't be visible in any stray reflections. I had to turn off the room lights so no reflections of me or the camera would be visible, no matter how faint.

The setup for this is straight out of the book I recommended in the previous post. I did it in about 20 minutes on a rainy Sunday, out of boredom.

As I'm fond of saying, shiny things are very difficult to photograph and present many challenges. But the rewards of making a fine photo of a beautiful object are often worth it.

Compared to the price of your camera, lenses, computer, etc. $40.00 is too much to spend to learn the basics, instead of blundering about in the dark??

Right now I have to answer Yes $40 is out of my range, and I'm unemployed, I stooped low to pick up cans off the road to get my computer fixed.

Doug, that's one of the reasons I said "...it's not perfect..." I couldn't make the specular reflection down the left side of the bottle continuous down the length of the bottle. It looks like a band only because there's no copy on the label between the date and the brand name.

The glass cast enough shadow on the bottle that the right edge of the bottle blends into the background.

Oh well, it was a rainy afternoon well spent.

another one:
http://photocamel.com/forum/still-life/103668-still-life-definition-tutorials-techniques-simulator-forum-information.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwNzo3LHQDs&feature=related

keep on searching on Youtube, because there's a lot videos explaining it all...You'll probably end with your own judgement discarding the useless ones. But it gives a place to start...

and that, funny
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihV9BY9D4sw

that also worth a look
http://i2.pbase.com/o1/mag/pbase_magazine_vol2_jul2005.pdf

Unfortunately, shooting in a tent is NOT a solution to this kind of project.

Shiny objects need specular highlights and shadows to define their shape and give the viewer hints about surface texture (metallic, soft, etc.). Objects shot in tents lose all shadows, and everything becomes specular highlight.

Here's an image of a metal ball shot in a tent.

IMG_4053.jpg

image by vicina.info, used under fair use

As for your last image, I suggest you look at it and tell us/me what you think is right and wrong with that one. You must learn to critically evaluate your own work as you go.

When you look at the last image, tell us why it would make someone want to buy the product. How does the black surface edge through the middle of the product help the picture? Why would a white background and a black base add to the "desirability" of the product?

This kind of self-evaluation is necessary to make forward progress.

Getting much better now that you've gotten rid of all the distracting background etc.

Now the next step is to work on the details, like getting even illumination across the label so it's readable and making the reflections smooth and even and balanced. The bright streak at bottom right is distracting.

When we see round objects against dark backgrounds, our brain expects one highlight band on the front/side of the bottle to indicate where the light is coming from. In ad photography, we add the bright stripes at the edges to separate the bottle from the background. To make this look more real, try getting just one, smooth specular highlight on the front shoulder of the bottle.

Here's an example of smooth specular highlights.

bottles.jpg

Image (C) John Surace, used with permission.

Last edited: