• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Fun with colour and desaturation

Luke Agbaimoni

I'm a big fan of desaturating a picture and keeping a small amount of colour. It's a very useful trick when a picture would be too busy if it were in b&w or in full colour. Here is an example...

5076390861_fa5bc4a89f_z.jpg

Luke Agbaimoni: 3 Bikes, 1 Man - Lyon - France

I just wanted to know if anyone here is also uses this technique. What subjects do you use it for and what would you considered your most successful result from the technique.

Luke

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I'm a big fan of desaturating a picture and keeping a small amount of colour. It's a very useful trick when a picture would be too busy if it were in b&w or in full colour. Here is an example...

I just wanted to know if anyone here is also uses this technique. What subjects do you use it for and what would you considered your most successful result from the technique.

Luke

5076390861_fa5bc4a89f_z.jpg

Luke Agbaimoni: 3 Bikes, 1 Man - Lyon - France

Luke,

What a delightful result. It works well and the reflections in the water are important positive balancing elements. The point to notice is that the subjects are united in one scheme as is the b.g. It's not necessary to do more than somewhat desaturate but all the way works too.

Color itself is a major distraction in many man-built locations. With these buildings, hyper resolution of the buildings can work against the peaceful ride. So taking the edge off the detail is also another brave maneuver to consider.

I hope you show us more of such artistic and disciplined "casual" images of humanity in an urban setting.

Asher