• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Untitled V

Cem_Usakligil

These are from a winter's day at the beach.

f31129.jpg

f31088.jpg

Your C&C will be appreciated, as usual.

Cheers,

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
These are from a winter's day at the beach.Your C&C will be appreciated, as usual.

Cheers,

Cem,

Your choice of B&W for both pictures fits in so well. You have lighting, composition, texture and form that wouldn't be improved by color. These are pristine beach views, so it must indeed be especially cold or early.

f31129.jpg

Cem Usakligil: A Day at the Beach #1

In this first picture the girl on the left is such a strong element. As a point, she stops movement and in this picture, the lines make one want to move. So there ends up with a see-saw of interest and inquiry from her to the church-like building on the upper right. I like being able to use my imagination, for fresh installments each time I visit a picture. This photograph allows me that. Qudos!

f31088.jpg

Cem Usakligil: A Day at the Beach #2

Here, again, the work is meticulous. The strong horizontal black lines pull us away from the slow curvaceous incoming foaming waves. These elements work very well, dark with light, hard with soft, still with movement, solid with ephemeral. But somehow there's a pull from above which, IMHO, wants us to see more of the fences and test the sky. So what's going on? Arrays of parallel lines are to strong a pattern for the mind to simply ignore and let go by. We have to keep exploring. Maybe these are pathways that other hunters might be approaching on. We have to be alert, check and recheck since we do not trust that it's safe.

By contrast, the foreground is open, accessible, observable in one glance and is empty! Here the large soft tide forms generate tranquility, as does the horizontal form.

So my suggestion, crop this picture just to provide the 3rd line of wood posts and you will have an extremely long, tranquil beach scene that has no distractions to the peace and time for contemplation it provides. One can now even hear the soft tides washing the sand!

An alternate is simply to have these as a diptych with a thick horizontal white line separating the lower part from the upper. Although, for all intents and purposes, you might find the lower picture, now so strong that the upper part might seem hardly worth having. This can only be decided by interviewing large enough prints respectfully put on a white wall.

Thanks, Cem, for sharing these two remarkably disciplined and satisfying pictures. These are not uplifting in themselves, but each constitutes a neutral stopping off place where one can find peace and plan great things for oneself, family and friends. This is an interesting class of images to introduce to us! These are, in a way, museums, places to "muse". I'd add the term, "exploratorium", since here, one is free from distractions and can then explore one's own imperatives, assumptions, hopes, wishes and resources.

Asher

The sky and the lighthouse with a 4-6mm of sand makes another separate element. So I'd try a triptych, after all.

fahim mohammed

Cem, the second is a killer capture. As usual I am no ' art ' critic. I like what I like.

Really well done. Bare bones BW. Graphic, shape, form, light, shade. Nothing more needed.

Simple, effective, Grasps me.

John Angulat

pro member
Hi Cem,
Along the lines of Fahim's comment - I like what I like, and I like these.
I'll never possess Asher's eloquence, nor the knowledge and appreciation of art as Ken.
Alain, Nicolas and Bart each have forgotten more than I'll ever know.
Yet, I'm content in my simple photographic world.
I like what I like.
And I like these.

Cem_Usakligil

@Asher: I know how busy you are and yet you still take your time to compose a well thought out response like this. I can't start to tell you how much I appreciate it. Your comments are quite interesting. I can't seem to get my head around to the triptych/cropping idea of yours, however. It then becomes an extremely wide pano! But I am considering it right now.

@Fahim, John: thanks for your never ceasing support!

@Bob: thanks for chiming in. I did not do the format consciously at 2:1, but the pictures delivered the best composition and the placement of the elements pleasingly when I cropped them almost as such.

Chers,