• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

My World: A Library, A City, A Civilization.

fahim mohammed

All Photographs are by my grandkids. 6 and 10 years old.

Long long time ago there was a city. And there were buildings. And there were gods. And there were goddesses. So people believed.

They built libraries. To impart knowledge.

p1023214351.jpg

One of them remained at this place much longer than we did. He is the studious one.

Eventually, we managed to get to the Library!!

p1000566263.jpg

It might be of passing interest to not that the architects designed the supporting columns one side to be of a different height than on the other side.

Maybe they too were preoccupied in some other parts of the city. Like my grandson.

fahim mohammed

The younger one tells me that she is older than I said. She is 6 years and 5 months.

Anyways, just to prove that she too can take good photos, as others, she took this one.

p562567819.jpg

The architecture has a lot of such ' paintings ' as she call them, of gods and goddesses.

I wonder why my grand daughter suddenly wants a new pair of ' shoes '. I told her she is as good a photographer as her brother or me. And maybe knows a little more than many now, about architecture and the goddesses . And history, for sure.

fahim mohammed

While at the other side of the forum, the bigger brother seemed to be taking a much keener interest
in architectural forms ..

p905327294.jpg

On being asked , he told me he was interested in the stones and marbles that were used and the intricate
angles and designs that he saw. And to prove that, he produced a photo of an ceremonial altar..or what remains of it..as shown above.

fahim mohammed

But I have seen it before, shouted the little one.
Where I asked?

In mummy's room she answered.
Did it come from here? Puzzled look on her face.

Don't be silly, said her brother. It came from Greece.

But why is it here?, I asked the young man.

He mumbled something. Then went quiet. He was not sure.

I told him why. I told them both why it was also found here. Besides Greece.

p170311605-5.jpg

That shall be in the boy's essay too. And hopefully, they shall remember when their kids ask them.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Fahim,

Isn't this wonderful place Ephesus. By now they must have made great progress in the excavation of all the rows of Roman homes going up the surrounding hillside. These were magnificent times. The Library had a passageway to the baths which was eventually owned by the most popular courtesan there. Can you imagine how many men told their wives, I'm just going to the library to study!

I must admit that I consider this city Roman or Greek since that's what it was. Those streets must have been magnificent. Imagine in addition rows of red-brick roman homes going up the hillsides and beyond that, there must have been baked mud and grass homes of the common folk.

You grandkids have taken good pictures, but you have opened their euyes.

Asher

fahim mohammed

On the way to the library, we had an incident of sorts.

p302974064.jpg

The girl stopped. Is the kitty ok!

The sun was blazing down on us. Umbrellas, parasols, caps, hats, all round. What about the kitty?
Where is the water for her? Can I give her my water? We were not on a guided tour today. We had done
that yesterday. Now was the time to explore and take our time..

There is no food or drink facility within the site. walking distance about 2 kms end to end. So we all sat
down. made sure that the kitty was ok. It took time to convince Mariam that the kitty lived here and could take care of herself.

We moved on. But not without Mariam being concerned and looking back often enough.

My thoughts on this incident. What good the grand stories of history, if one is not worried about one of God's creations. The well being of the cat was of personal importance to Mariam.

I was proud of Mariam. Mariam cares.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
On the way to the library, we had an incident of sorts.

p302974064.jpg

The girl stopped. Is the kitty ok!

The sun was blazing down on us. Umbrellas, parasols, caps, hats, all round. What about the kitty?
Where is the water for her? Can I give her my water? We were not on a guided tour today. We had done
that yesterday. Now was the time to explore and take our time..

There is no food or drink facility within the site. walking distance about 2 kms end to end. So we all sat
down. made sure that the kitty was ok. It took time to convince Mariam that the kitty lived here and could take care of herself.

We moved on. But not without Mariam being concerned and looking back often enough.

My thoughts on this incident. What good the grand stories of history, if one is not worried about one of God's creations. The well being of the cat was of personal importance to Mariam.

I was proud of Mariam. Mariam cares.

and I'm so proud of you.

Fahim,

This is what we are here for!

Asher

Robert Watcher

Wonderful experience for your grandchildren. The history, the photography, and your guidance as one more experienced in both of the former.

fahim mohammed

Efes ( Ephesus ) is a marvelous place to vist. And re-visit. I would recommend winters though.

The sea has receded since Ephesus was established. But about 5 kms away now. It is no longer a commercial port.

Arguably the best example of a Roman City anywhere.

I do hope the kids enjoyed their vacation. My old back aches.

Thank you.

Fahim,

Isn't this wonderful place Ephesus. By now they must have made great progress in the excavation of all the rows of Roman homes going up the surrounding hillside. These were magnificent times. The Library had a passageway to the baths which was eventually owned by the most popular courtesan there. Can you imagine how many men told their wives, I'm just going to the library to study!

I must admit that I consider this city Roman or Greek since that's what it was. Those streets must have been magnificent. Imagine in addition rows of red-brick roman homes going up the hillsides and beyond that, there must have been baked mud and grass homes of the common folk.

You grandkids have taken good pictures, but you have opened their euyes.

Asher

fahim mohammed

Ephesus. Pre-dating the establishment of the Ionian Greek city and the later Roman settlement. The surrounding area/s around Efes, were established much before the Greeks.. How long?

6000 B.C. Excavations are ongoing to search for the pre-neolithic age.

But lets take a quick walk around Ephesus. Starting with the Main Blvd. Mind the Senator's chariot and the Centurian horsemen...

p839811602.jpg

Walk through the Roman structures. Marvel at the architecture. Sense the past. Look around the rising hilltops. And Asher says, imagine the villas of the Roman looking over the city.

Let's climb down. Onto the main thoroughfare. Imagine the emblems on either side. ' SPQR ' blazed across them. The wind and the sea..the most important commercial center of Asia Minor.

p761388915.jpg

p661229219.jpg

Move in close. Listen to the stones. You are hearing history speak!!

p645207629.jpg

fahim mohammed

Knowledge! That's why we traveled to Ephesus. To learn about history. To see the seat of learning.

The Library of Celsus. Arguably the most impressive structure standing at Ephesus. Built as a tomb for
the governor of Roman Asia; Tiberius Julius Celsus Polemaeanus by his son. Celsus's body lies in a sarcophagus beneath the library building.

p318894961.jpg

Between the four niches of the columns on the ground floor are four statutes. They are copies!
What are these four statues, and what happened to the originals?
Hamza told me the names, what they represented and why. He also told me what had happened to the original statues.

p239706077.jpg

How diid he know? ' The guide told us ', was his simple reply. ' How do you know the guide did not make a mistake ?', I asked. Silence. We brought 4 iPads with us; not to play games. ' Find out and let me know ', I told my grandson.

So much to see, so little time. Ephesus..its associations with the Christian Faith are numerous.

Let's take one last look. This time at one of the seven wonders of the ancient world..

p979795201-5.jpg

The Temple of Artemis. Who and why. Let my kids find out for themselves. The kids were on a voyage
of discovery, fun and knowledge.

I am sure they had all of these and more. I hope and believe that they discovered more than just Stones.

fahim mohammed

Jadoo, I am not a child. The voice was whispered. In deference to me. How's that?, I said; looking at my grandson. ' I am not a child, I am almost a teenager '. I looked in his eyes. When did that happen? I asked him. In less than two years I shall be 13 years old!! I am not a ten year old child as you have written. The voice was low, the eyes looking to the floor.

So you are, I said as I hugged him. I had made a big mistake. Kids grow up fast! An old man's memory fades faster still!

Hamza learnt something more on this trip with me. Something called shutter speed, aperture, and iso.
As a matter of fact, he not only learnt but used this basic knowledge for long periods of time. The Kodak P&S was quietly forgotten.

Hamza had grown up. It was time he found his vision too.

p148030599.jpg

Thank you for being with Hamza and Mariam on our visit to Ephesus.