• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

No Worries, Mon...

Chris Calohan

8468640070_5c04270889_o.jpg

No Worries, Mon: Chris Calohan​

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Chris,

I can imagine this printed huge and then giving an experience of tranquility. The foreground emptiness is like a blanket of serenity for us to get lost in and have to wonder into our own imaginations.

Asher

Chris Calohan

I printed it 13 x 19 but that's not big enough, but as big as my printer will go. May shoot it to Mpix and go a bit bigger...may even go on metal plate.

Asher Kelman

First the work you have is complete; perhaps now a possible exploration, if that's an option that tickles your fancy.

So if that's O.K. with you, might you also try to exploit this picture for an entirely different and far more radical presentation?

This would not in any way say the current picture is somehow inadequate, far from it. Just there's further one might go and more to discover perhaps in the worlds you transported back home with your camera.

Asher

Terry Lee

I love the tranquility. My suggestion would be to punch it up a few notches, get some more separation from the sky and water colors....lots there to work with! Hardest thing in the world to do is to find yourself standing in a paradise scene like this and to try to do it justice on film. Been working at it for 35 years and still learning!

Asher Kelman

Chris,

Making the sky so bold never occurred to me, but it's an approach that tightens the image. I was thinking about the foreground waters being cropped to make a fabulous panorama.

This is why I feel that creativity can start de novo when we return home and imagine the pictures "just appeared" for us to work with, selecting what of it we like, instead of having the preconceived ideas the whole environment imposed on us when we actually took that picture!

Essentially I'm challenging you to deconstruct what you arrive home with and imagine you'd never seen it before, but that some robot had taken the picture without a human mind guiding it.

To everyone else,

With Chris' forbearance, we're looking for alternate creative possibilities outside his original intent. So the new picture might no longer relate to calm or tranquility.

Asher

Mickey Adair

I would be inclined to include more foreground. It renders the scene more as if one was there and could be stepped into.
The clouds might be a little overworked in the post production. I'd like to see the scene recorded through a polarizing filter.
Mickey

Not sure I didn't get too aggressive with the sky but I know I'm headed in the right direction.

8470955621_0a8a285489_o.jpg

Could you pull more details from the sandy, underwater foreground?

I wonder what the out of camera image would have looked like with a CPL filter, or did you have one on there already?

Chris Calohan

I used a CPl but I don't think I was exactly at 90 degrees to the sun, thus a bit lighter than I would have liked. There is no foreground left to work with and a reshoot would mean a trip back to Jamaica, which isn't likely anytime soon.

I may be able to go back to the RAW file and pop some more detail in the foreground but still not sure I'm not losing my original intent of a lazy day.