• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Near the river again - Setubal, Portugal

Antonio Correia

116959844-M.jpg
116958594-M.jpg
116958904-M.jpg
116957644-M.jpg

Antonio,

great views you have in your city, my friend!

From a purely technical standpoint: the glare in #1 is distracting. I'm not talking about the specular highlights in the water (those are great!), only the sun flare on the lens...

I think a simple cloning will deal with it in this particular case.

Saude:)

Antonio Correia

Nikolai Sklobovsky said:
Antonio,

great views you have in your city, my friend!

From a purely technical standpoint: the glare in #1 is distracting. I'm not talking about the specular highlights in the water (those are great!), only the sun flare on the lens...

I think a simple cloning will deal with it in this particular case.

Saude:)

Hello Nik.
You are right my friend about the sun flare on the lens. It probably comes from the CPF AND the UV filter I forgot to take out.
I only saw they were both on the lens, when I was about to remove the polarizing filter.
Obrigado.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Antonio,

Allow me to comment. No philosophy this time just hard business!

All 4 pictures look out to boasts on the water. The foreground anchors the viewer while the distance allows one to wonder.

The last picture, simple as it is, does not win my emotions to be moved. The width is not impressive enough for me, not is there enough light play on the water ot interesting sky detail or in lieu of that mist. I don't receive a story or a concept with this image, but perhaps I just don't get it.

The 3rd image, I'd have said was not yours, LOL. I find unusally cluttered for your clean style I admire, that I have seen so much of before.

116958904-M.jpg

The man is looking down, so just the stonework of the walkway around him would make a new subject and one message.

The rest of that image is not relating to that man, unless there's something that's over my head, which could be!

The 2cd image with children is eclipsed by the first which is the simplest and best. Using the children in the foreground is obvious since they are delightful.

116958594-M.jpg

There's nothing wrong with that of course, but I do prefer the first picture where the posts/pipes stand like two guards, almost 2 crucifixes overlooking the water.

116959844-M.jpg

As Nikolai has pointed out the lens flare is a distraction and is easily cloned out to great advantage.

If you cropped that image, then consider putting some width back since this is a great promising scene. The light on the stone path is really beautiful. I would love to see you just working on this one shot with a wider lens and getting the entire shadow in the foreground.

When you get boats included in your scene, we know there are people there too, working, eating, playing cards, with a friend, at risk. So we don't really need a figure in the foreground as well. So I like this picture. It works for me as a basic design. If you return, you will be investigating many more possibilities with just this point of view. Perhaps you might even drop down so the double posts appear taller.

Although of course it's only your esthetic that must count. So if mine doesn't fit in with yours, after reflection, then we are simply on a different wavelngth at this time.

I can merely talk about my reception and that's that.

Asher

Antonio Correia

I don't have time to answer now, but here is the picture re-done.
117283743-M.jpg

It's not so good, isn't it ?
But is better
117284623-M.jpg

Last edited:

Antonio Correia

Thank you Asher for your comment

and we go for some more at that very same place but at a different time of the day.
With CPF. I was learning (will I ever stop ? Oh yes ! I will. When I'll dye! ) to use the flash to do what I want him to do. :)
117336500-M.jpg
117339659-M.jpg
117336023-M.jpg
and a dog :)
117335218-M.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I like this version Antonio
Antonio Correia said:

Important that you have kept the specular highlights-they are magic!

Important that the shadow of the tie up double cross is there, great feature!

Now one can play with tonalities.

suggest you divide the image into the following areas:

1. Stone work in forgrounf, darker,

2. Pipe/tie up structure with rope-lighten (or replace with the flash version, but then darken and S curve).

3. Water: Increase contrast and ? saturation in the forground water to try to bring out some surace structure with highlights and shodows. ? Sharpen too.

4. Ships may need to darken a tad.

5. Distant water and sky try some hue variations to add some interest and to differetiate more from the forground.

Now these are merely an overall set of approaches which might suggest something useful to you in doing what you want.

Anyway, I doi like this image!

Asher