• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Sea water and birds - Setubal, Portugal

Antonio Correia

116957893-M.jpg
116959284-M.jpg

Erik DeBill

I especially like the second one. Those little wading birds (they look like something from the plover or sandpiper family) huddling between water and land. The depth of field works well, blurring the foreground and background so they become abstractions.

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Hi Antonio
on the 1st pic, I found the foreground too distracting, and the water a bit muddy and washed out...
may I suggest a zoom in? (just because you asked for advice...)

116957893-M2.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi Guys,

I do like the pictures. I will hazard an expectation, Antonio, that these two images by intent (but probably not to your awareness) Antonio, related!

Of course there's water. Water, to me at least, always signifies life and a passage to death.

Here we see the transient life span of water drops created by the splash of the tides against the man made bricks. This in itself juxtapositions fragility with man-made artifact meant to withstand nature itself.

The next picture has little birds that can fly but stand grouped by the water, a rest in their fragile existence.

We look back to the first picture and we also see that the camera has caught a fleeting moment in the life of the water drops.

Next we can synthesize this and bring the meaning to man. How fragile and transient are we?

Now these meaning may or may not have been in the underlying unavailable thoughts of the photographer. However, I believe that these thoughts are something akin to them was present.

That Antonio is my reaction. It could of course be merely reflecting my existentialist perspective.

Anyway, that is how your pictures made me feel and think.

Thanks for sharing.

Asher

BTW, I agree with the crop Nicolas suggests. Your style Antonio is best, from what I've see when you keep things stripped down to only what you must have, not what you could include!

nicolas claris

LOL Asher!
at the end of your post, at first read, instead of reading
I read Anyway, that is how your pictures made me feel and drink.

::)

Antonio Correia

Nikolai,
The splash of the water was captured at - Aperture: f/22.0 ISO: 200 Focal Length: 16mm
Exposure Time: 0.125s (1/8)
and I was handholding it.
The position was easy and I shot 3 or 4 in a row.
Obrigado

Antonio Correia

Merci Nokolas mais ...
the foreground is part of the composition as in this other photos of mines.
Je regrette but I can't agree with you ...
Obrigado
81950947-M.jpg

Antonio Correia

Asher Kelman said:
Hi Guys,

I do like the pictures. I will hazard an expectation, Antonio, that these two images by intent (but probably not to your awareness) Antonio, related!

Of course there's water. Water, to me at least, always signifies life and a passage to death.

Here we see the transient life span of water drops created by the splash of the tides against the man made bricks. This in itself juxtapositions fragility with man-made artifact meant to withstand nature itself.

The next picture has little birds that can fly but stand grouped by the water, a rest in their fragile existence.

We look back to the first picture and we also see that the camera has caught a fleeting moment in the life of the water drops.

Next we can synthesize this and bring the meaning to man. How fragile and transient are we?

Now these meaning may or may not have been in the underlying unavailable thoughts of the photographer. However, I believe that these thoughts are something akin to them was present.

That Antonio is my reaction. It could of course be merely reflecting my existentialist perspective.

Thanks for sharing.

Asher

BTW, I agree with the crop Nicolas suggests. Your style Antonio is best, from what I've see when you keep things stripped down to only what you must have, not what you could include!

Interesting approach to the vision of these 2 photos.

Let me tell you the truth (I lie very rarely, but sometimes I am - like we all are - compelled to do so):

When I shoot I don't think of the relations, fragility of life, etc.

I just shoot for my feelings. Simple and easy.

I look, and think: Humm, that ! And then I compose carefully and press the finger with intention. With meaning. Not: I have to shoot.

Obrigado.

Asher Kelman

Hi Antonio,

Remember, I covered myself:

Asher Kelman said:

You made a decision to take the pictures because of an inner force that informed your choices of composition, what to include and what to exclude.

I have taken a jump in speculation as to the kind of values that might go into setting up your decision making. This is done on a level below one's awareness. Still, this is not merely "subconscious" priorities coming forward.

We appear to have these priorities working below the surface actively preprocessing and filtering all the incoming data and giving possible values and worth and meaning to everything around you.

If you were aware, you would collapse at the sheer volume of data.

So when you decide on a composition, everything in your experience is available to be used. It is not merely "I like that so I took the picture" but perhaps "Some 10-100,000 voting advocates (in my brain) helped me select what I would like and how I would like it".

Further, the final choice of these two pictures together, whatever the basis for taking them, defines another set of meaning. you decided on them, but ask yourself why?

There is never, no reason unless your cat makes the choice!

Asher

Antonio Correia

Asher Kelman said:
Hi Antonio,

You made a decision to take the pictures because of an inner force that informed your choices of composition, what to include and what to exclude.

I have taken a jump in speculation as to the kind of values that might go into setting up your decision making. This is done on a level below one's awareness. Still, this is not merely "subconscious" priorities coming forward.

We appear to have these priorities working below the surface actively preprocessing and filtering all the incoming data and giving possible values and worth and meaning to everything around you.

So when you decide on a composition, everything in your experience is available to be used. It is not merely "I like that so I took the picture" but perhaps "Some 10-100,000 voting advocates (in my brain) helped me select what I would like and how I would like it".

Further, the final choice of these two pictures together, whatever the basis for taking them, defines another set of meaning. you decided on them, but ask yourself why?

Asher

I think you made you point and I agree with you.
There is a sub-conscious decision which is related to our previous experience.

Ad that experience changes with time, as we grow older and our caracter/personality. Which is built along time.

LOL I have no cat LOL
I should - when am I going to decide ? - adopt a lost/abandoned dog.
My wife loves dogs and I like them a lot.
The problem is when we go abroad... It's expensive to lieve the animal in a hotel...

nicolas claris

Antonio Correia said:
Merci Nokolas mais ...
the foreground is part of the composition as in this other photos of mines.
Je regrette but I can't agree with you ...
Obrigado
I won't even discuss about this, this is your choice and I truly respect that!
Sorry if you've been offended, that was not my purpose.
Have a great Sunday

Antonio Correia

Nicolas Claris said:
I won't even discuss about this, this is your choice and I truly respect that!
Sorry if you've been offended, that was not my purpose.
Have a great Sunday

Me ? Offended ?
No way. No way. What made you think that ?
Not offended. Why should I ?
I was only plain (too) and simple.
Sorry.
Thank you !
(Je serai à Paris en Mars en route vers le Sud de l'Inde, juste pour l'apres midi et le soir)

nicolas claris

Asher Kelman said:
Hi Antonio,

Asher
Yep! and this is why as already stated a good picture has never been shot by accident.
Unconsciousness, semi consciousness, consciousness avoid accident in pictures, this the main difference between a snapshot and a photograph.

Erik DeBill

Antonio Correia said:
Thank you Erik.
Does it mean you don't like - or don't like very much - the splashing water ?
:)

Yes. It just doesn't do anything for me. I don't see anything there to connect with.

Erik DeBill

Asher Kelman said:
Erik,

Not even after having read my own reactions?

Well, maybe not!

Different people like different pictures :)

No matter how spiritual the creation of a piece of art, my enjoyment is going to be based on my own interactions with it. That may not be the point of the art. Some art is primarily a vehicle for the art-maker to explore themselves. Some is a cry for social change. Some an homage to great craftsmen of the past. Some is an attempt to gain fame and fortune. For me, that backstory will not add much to the experience. I don't enjoy pictures of glaciers more because I know they're melting. The picture has to stand on its own. That particular one just doesn't light my fire.

I've noticed something similar with my own pictures. The ones I like most are not always the ones other folks like.

Asher Kelman

Erik,

Your answer couldn't be better!

When any of these motivations of the photographer do awaken your great interest and joy, voila we'll have a phone line open. It's not reasonable to expect it to be happening all that often!

While the backstory, in general might not add to your experience, some works do in fact need a frame of reference, like at title or some description in order to allow us to tune in to the picture.

Asher

nicolas claris

Erik DeBill said:
I've noticed something similar with my own pictures. The ones I like most are not always the ones other folks like.

While I tend to agree with the complete Erik's above post, I feel this extract so true!

nicolas claris

Asher Kelman said:
While the backstory, in general might not add to your experience, some works do in fact need a frame of reference, like at title or some description in order to allow us to tune in to the picture.

Well, moreless, if the context has to be underlined and/or explained by a title and/or a caption, it may (may not is) mean that there's a lack in the picture concept or realization (sorry for the z British guys ;-).

Sometimes, one's fire is enlighted by a piece of art thru another "intend" that the artist's whish... this is another strength of art, make you feel toward your own culture... OT I know, sorry but that's OPF!