• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Just got my 5D!!

janet Smith

pro member
Hello everyone

The delivery man has just left me with my long awaited 5D, it's like having a new baby! The battery is charging, will be taking first shots in an hour or so..... I already have the 20D, do I have to load the new software that has just come with the 5D, or will I be able to use the software I already have on my computer for the 20D? Thanks for your help....

Cem_Usakligil

Congrats!

Many congratulations Janet! :)

I hope you'll enjoy it as much as I'm enjoying mine. You don't need to reload the software, as long as it is up-to-date. DPP has a version 3 now, you should consider downloading it from the Canon web site if you haven't done that already.

Cheers,

janet Smith

pro member
Hi Cem

Thanks for this, I'm not much use with computers, apart from the stuff I do with photoshop!

My Canon software is not up to date, it's the original software that came with the 20D 3 years or so ago, should I delete it and install the disc that accompanied the 5D? but will my 20D be OK with the new software? I will be using both cameras, 20D for flowers & macro work and the 5D for landscape, I'm going to the far north of Scotland soon for a few weeks.

I wish I knew more about computers! Thanks for your help, it's greatly appreciated

Cem_Usakligil

The safest way is to uninstall the exisiting software first. You can find the option to do so in the "control panel" of your Windows. If you're on a Mac, I am afraid I can't help you there. Go to the control panel, and then click on the icon that says "add or remove programs". From there, you can find the Canon software such as EOS Utility, DPP, Zoom Browser, etc. Remove them all. After that, insert the new CD-ROM that came with the 5D and install the newer versions. Mind you, the version 3 of DPP might not yet be on the CD-ROM, so if necessary, download the newest version from the web.

Mind you. you might get away with installing the newer versions without removing the old ones first as I recommmended above, it is up to you to decide. Sometimes, intelligent software recognises the older versions and offer the option to uninstall them first. I can't check this right now with the Canon CD-ROM since I am at work.

Don't worry, your 20D will work perfectly with the new versions of the software, as well as your 5D.

HTH. If not, ask for more help anytime :).

Cheers.

janet Smith

pro member
Hi Cem

You're a star! I really appreciate your help, I'm just about to attach a lens, and take my first shots, I feel as excited as a 5 year old, rediculous isn't it, can't wait to get up to Scotland with it. Thanks again...

Mind you. you might get away with installing the newer versions without removing the old ones first as I recommmended above, it is up to you to decide. Sometimes, intelligent software recognises the older versions and offer the option to uninstall them first. I can't check this right now with the Canon CD-ROM since I am at work.

In my experience with Canon software sofar, it does de-install older versions as one installs new software. If you want to be even more sure, it shouldn't hurt to manually de-install.

Bart

Diane Fields

Jan, if you are using Photoshop and are going to upgrade, you might try using the new ACR for conversion also, as well as try some demos of other RAW converters like C1LE.

Enjoy your 5D. I have had mine for a year and a half and have lost any lust for upgrading any time in the future LOL.

Diane

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
Congratulations

I went from the 20D to the 5D and I really think it made a difference in the quality of my photography. Enjoy the thrill of the new equipment & looking forward to your new images.

janet Smith

pro member
Hi Diane

I've just looked at the first images off the 5D, just some quick grab shots, just to check all is as it should be, and so far I feel very happy with my choice. I have a family member who is ill at the moment, so sadly I'll have little time to play with my camera for the next couple of days, but I'll post some of the results as soon as I can.

Thanks very much for your suggestions re other RAW converters, something I'll have to look into ASAP.

janet Smith

pro member
Hi Kathy

Thanks so much for the good wishes, no doubt I'll be picking your brains in a few days, so nice to get all this supprt from everyone, it's appreciated....

Diane Fields

I went from the 20D to the 5D and I really think it made a difference in the quality of my photography. Enjoy the thrill of the new equipment & looking forward to your new images.

I should have said I, too, went from the 20D to the 5D. I had moved through the
D30/60/10D/20D and was thinking of going MF/film, even looking at used bodies,lenses, etc. but had procrastinated long enough that the 5D came out LOL (my other thought was buying a used FF down the road). I debated for 6 more months and made the decision that the 5D was the better camera for me. Its def. been the right choice and if you print relatively large, you will certainly enjoy it. Beyond that, other attributes are worth it for me--shallower DOF in some cases, using my 24 as a 'wide', using a TS lens on FF, the terrific lack of noise at higher ISOs giving me even more latitude for available light shooting. You'll find your own reasons I'm sure.

Diane