• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Canon 240D

Daniel Tremblay

Hi, I've just received a Canon 240D closed-up lens (I paid $30.00 on Ebay). My intention is to used it with the Canon 50mm F1.8 and/or reversed mount with the same lens. Any advice how to make it work properly, my body is a Canon 30D.

Thank you
Daniel Tremblay

Ray West

Hi Daniel,

Well, it may be OK. Your post reminded me to look in my filter collection, not used for some years. I may post more info later. Anyway, not your setup - 20d, and 50 1,8 lens. Luckily my 'Cokin' filter mount screwed on the lens OK, same size, and I have a +3 close-up lens to fit the holder (unknown brand), but I guess nowhere near the canon quality. (I have no idea about what a 240d is or does, but I assume it is glass - not air in a macro ring ;-)

It allowed me to get much closer to the subject, but depth of field is much narrower. I rushed, and did not check focus too well, but af seems to work OK. However, the final image, for me, I think I can get better by zooming in the image from the straight lens without filter, by using photoshop. However I expect your lens will be better, try it and see. Macro rings may well be better, but you would possibly need a thin one so you don't get too close.

Let us know what you find when you try yours. What do you want the lens for, what type of subject?

Best wishes,

Ray

Johnny_Johnson

Hi Daniel,

I believe that the magnification range of that converter on a 50mm lens will be in the .2 to .3 range so you may be disappointed with closeups of insects. Only way to know for sure though is to give it a try and see if it suits you.

Extension tubes?

Hi Daniel,

I'm afraid I have never used that add-on lens (and thus probably shouldn't be replying) but I believe you can achieve quite significant closeups with your existing 50mm lens by adding some extension tubes - as a matter of principle, I would always image that moving the lens, vs. adding more glass, should result in better quality. Though not quite $30, I believe in the region of $100 - $150 you could get a set of Kenko or Soligor extension tubes, that should allow you to exceed 1:1 magnification with your standard 50mm (assuming it's a Canon 1.8 or 1.4). I'm not sure what the light loss is with the close-up lens, but with extension tubes (as with any extreme Macro effort) be prepared for a lot of light loss at high magnification - high ISO will help, but only so far.

I think we'd all be interested to see the results of your closeup lens - please do post them here! But, without sounding negative, I would also not expect miracles... (but am willing to be proven wrong).