• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Standing Alone

Steve Stone

Here's one from my first day experimenting with extension tubes. They really open a new door of opportunity for my EF70-200/2.8 lens. I like the way it sits all alone as a single flower on a small limb shimmering with water droplets after the spring rain shower. Enjoy.
IMG_9097_copyweb.jpg

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:

janet Smith

pro member
Hi Steve

Looks like you enjoyed using your extension tubes, opens up a whole new load of photo opportunities doesn't it.

I like the first one here, although a little shadowy on the lower petals. Have you tried using a reflector to push some light into the flowers? Sorry, but the second one has too much empty space around it for my liking.......but a good start with your new gear!

Looking forward to seeing more.....

Steve Stone

Thanks Jan. I just set up after the showers to shoot for a few minutes. The rain came back about 20 mins. later. I hadn't thought about reflectors.

Steve

janet Smith

pro member
Thanks Jan. I just set up after the showers to shoot for a few minutes. The rain came back about 20 mins. later

Hi Steve

Sounds just like here, alternating rain and sun, you've got to be quick, it's also windy here most of the time, very rarely still, the wind is probably more of a problem for me than anything else with flower work!

janet Smith

pro member
Hi Steve

Small white flowers are difficult little monsters aren't they! in some ways I prefer this less shadowy version of the first shot, I'm assuming that you have worked on this in PS or similar, unfortunately the water droplets and veining in the petals have lost some of their definition now, I wonder if you could get it somewhere between the two versions?

Steve Stone

Jan...the only thing done to this shot was switching to LAB mode to sharpen. The resized for web.
They're almost gone from the tree now. Time to go to the Plantations and shoot the gardens. Will post some of these in the coming weeks.

Steve