• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Sunset, Half Moon Bay

Mike Spinak

pro member
A recent post by Georg inspired me to share an example of a landscape shot taken with a very long telephoto lens.

Several months ago, when I was photographing raptors, I turned my long lens around to photograph the sunset over the ocean. I was rewarded with one of the oddest looking sunsets I've ever seen. The results would likely be described by some as "painterly" or "abstract", though this is a straight shot of what the sunset actually looked like. Anyway, it suits me.

This shot was taken with a 1,200 mm lens, and then, was further cropped a bit. The difficulty with this kind of shot is setting up and taking the shot, without looking directly into the sun. I prefocused on the horizon, before the sun entered my frame. I used the rear LCD histogram to adjust exposure without looking through the viewfinder.

I hope you enjoy it.

Sunset, Half Moon Bay
1852159405_3a8338a6f5_o.jpg

© Mike Spinak

Spectacular, but watch out for using those two particular terms. We had a lively discussion about using "painterly" and "abstract" in conjunction with photographs last year some time. Asher probably remembers.

But OT, this is very nice. I like the heat distortion effect on the sun and the barely visible (on my screen) surface of the sea in the f/g.

If I may have the temerity to suggest a crop, I would put the horizon closer to the top, since the featureless sky holds no interest.

<Chas>

Andrew Stannard

pro member
That is indeed spectacular, the double band effect is most unusual. Could you tell that that was the case before taking the pic, or did the detail only reveal itself through the 1200mm lens?

Would make an interesting canvas print I would imagine.

You ARE a dangerous man to talk to Mike, LOL ;)

You know, I got this lense here: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/405348-REG/Olympus_261013_90_250mm_f_2_8_ED_Zuiko.html

Thinking I will only use it for wildlife, we hopped on a boat yesterday, when I forgot to change the lense and leave that 3.2 kg behind in exchange for a different piece of glas. So I just made the most of it, and was very astonished about it. Hell, how can I ever live without such a glas now?

This shot is just superb Mike, right up my sleave! I also wonderd how much of the FG comes out in a print, talking about which, do you print yourself?

Look forward to seing more of your telelandscapes.

taking the shot, without looking directly into the sun. ....I used the rear LCD histogram to adjust exposure without looking through the viewfinder.....

I feel like I need to underline that Mike, there might be people reading this post quickly, new to photography and overlooking this most important aspect, hence I emphasize it.

Under no circumstances, whatsoever, do not ever look directly at or even close to the sun through your camera, regardless how low on the horizon already! You will damage your eyesight inevitable if you do that!!!

Sorry if I state the obvious here.... but better safe than sorry!

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
I feel like I need to underline that Mike, there might be people reading this post quickly, new to photography and overlooking this most important aspect, hence I emphasize it.

Under no circumstances, whatsoever, do not ever look directly at or even close to the sun through your camera, regardless how low on the horizon already! You will damage your eyesight inevitable if you do that!!!

Sorry if I state the obvious here.... but better safe than sorry!

You're right! I wonder what it does to the sensor…

Cem_Usakligil

Hi Mike,

Thanks for showing this, very impressive. I agree with Chas that a little bit of the sky at the top can be cropped, but not much.

BTW, it looks like a huge pair of lips to me ;-).

Cheers,

nicolas claris

Seen as in perspective it could be a giant circle… but amazingly it looked as lips forme too at first sight…

C'mon gentlemen, it is THE Sun. Our master! the one who brings the light for us to graph with it…

Mike I love this shot. Framed as it is, and no, it wouldn't be that magnificent in B&W ;-)

<muttering ancient Druid spell, raising arms into the sky> Take that evil spirit with his Hy6 away, I command the ghost of Zobor dar al Zanuk and his legions <thunder and lightning, dark clouds cover the sun>

KABOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMmmmmmmm

See? That happens if you are going to tease me further with your Hy6.

Of course it is a giant circle! ...Lips...pfff.. LOLOL and stop pretending your english would be bad.... he speaks better than I do! ....

:p

nicolas claris

Tarataratara…!

I just showed Mike's photo to Marine, telling her how beautifull it is, and she told me:

Oh! c'est joli, on dirait une bouche…

(non French speaking people, please, for once copy/paste to here for translation…)

LoL

Mike Spinak

pro member
Charles,

Thank you.

If I may have the temerity to suggest a crop, I would put the horizon closer to the top, since the featureless sky holds no interest.<Chas>

Please do have the temerity to criticize and suggest. I may not always agree, but sometimes such commentary does show me a better way. Even when it does not, I like to learn how others perceive differently.

That said, I will not be taking your crop suggestion.

As I mentioned, this picture is somewhat cropped. Thus, I had choices available as to what shape the picture would be, how tight it would be, what would be included, and what would be excluded. I did try various alternatives to this crop; and this remained how I like best.

I liked the 2:3 ratio shape best for this picture. I wanted the picture fairly close to the sun on the left and right edges, but with some comfortable breathing room. Now, the sun takes up a fairly narrow vertical strip, leaving a lot of room left in a 2:3 ratio shape. Keeping that shape, I could use any proportion of sky to ocean that I want, but any decrease in one makes a corresponding increase in the other. I find that the proportions of each that you see, here, work best, to my taste.

You say that the sky holds no interest. While there is a small bit more to look at in the ocean, the same could pretty much be equally said about the water as about the sky. That is: it could be said, if you choose to look at them as isolated elements. However, if you look at the totality of the picture, it becomes apparent that those large, blank areas do serve their purpose in the overall design. They present the sun in the most powerful way, and in the most unfamiliar, yet revealing, new way.

Or, at least, to my eyes.

Andy,

Thank you.

Could you tell that that was the case before taking the pic, or did the detail only reveal itself through the 1200mm lens?

It was clearly visible to the people standing near me, watcing the sunset with their unaided eyes. I could see it clearly on my rear LCD screen.

Would make an interesting canvas print I would imagine.

I imagine it would. However, that would be playing upon its "painterliness". I think presenting it on photo paper, perhaps semi-glossy, would emphasize the fact that this is not a painting: that something actually looked like this. I think this would be to my preference.

Georg,

Thank you.

You ARE a dangerous man to talk to Mike, LOL ;)

He he he. :)

Wow. That looks useful. I bet you'll have a lot of fun with it. I look forward to seeing your ongoing results.

...I forgot to change the lense and leave that 3.2 kg behind in exchange for a different piece of glas. So I just made the most of it, and was very astonished about it. Hell, how can I ever live without such a glas now?

Ah, yes. Serendipity.

I also wonderd how much of the FG comes out in a print, talking about which, do you print yourself?

What is FG? Foreground?

Some foreground comes out in print, but it is not a splendid view of the foreground details. If I wanted more emphasis on the foreground details, in print, I am sure I could work the file to achieve this. However, I don't feel that a great look at the foreground would be a notable improvement; it may even be a distraction.

No, I prepare my files and have them printed.

I wonder what it does to the sensor…

Apparently, nothing. I do this a lot, and it hasn't seemed to damage the sensor, yet. Besides, even if it did affect the sensor a tiny bit: tools are meant to be used.

Nicholas, Cem,

Thank you.

And you're right. This one should definitely be in color.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi Mike,

Thanks for showing this, very impressive. I agree with Chas that a little bit of the sky at the top can be cropped, but not much.

BTW, it looks like a huge pair of lips to me ;-).
Yes exactly! It looks like lips. I had already thought of that! I think the top, however, to me at least, serves to distract and I'd lose everything above ~3/4" or so!

I really love the picture, painterly or not! It's also an abstraction as the heat has made a lens that makes Photoshop unneeded!

Asher

Sandra Jones

It's a fantastic image. Lips definately came to mind, but it's so much more than that. It's brilliant. I'm drawn into it. I can see commercial and large print possibilities. I'm inspired to try this set up too. Lovely.

Don Ferguson Jr.

Cool shot I am glad you told us how you took it as that was very interesting . I bet a 1,200 mm lens would fry your retina if you tried to look near the sun with it .
Don

Greetings Micheal Spinak,

Warm, emotional, and yes: Impressionistic and Impressive as well. Your insight to avoid direct sun contact is the mind of a true photographer. Enjoyed indeed.