• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

New insight into white balance correction

Doug Kerr

I just received the following from the manufacturer of the ColorRight white balance measurement tool (it is, verbatim, in blue). I have taken the liberty of embedding some comments.

My recent comparative test of 10 different white balance devices (results to be published soon) put the Colorright [sic] disk at the top of the pack . ...the Expodisc [sic] was one of the somewhat less successful devices tested.

This will of course be fascinating reading. I'll be particularly interested to learn of the technique used with the ExpoDisc in the test series.

The physics of light and response to light by contemporary camera sensors is such that, particularly with the correction of excessively yellow capture, you actually cannot fix everything in post.

Hopefully, the author is speaking of postprocessing of JPEG image files.

It is not at all clear that "The physics of light and response to light by contemporary camera sensors" explains why correction for the chromaticity of the incident light cannot be successfully done to an already-demosaiced image. In fact, the images captured by our sensors can be successfully corrected (as happens, for example, with the use of Custom White Balance, or in color correction during the development of raw image files.).

It is largely the demosaicing process (not a property of the sensor, unless we mean that the need for it comes from the use of a color filter array sensor) that thwarts our ability to successfully apply WB color correction to a JPEG image.

Use of Auto WB+ “fix it later” is a gross misunderstanding of capture.

Well, I'm not sure we often see it suggested that WB correction be attempted on JPEG files.

Most regrettably, this procedure automatically lessens your control, your commercial grade accuracy and your artistic possibilities - and definitely boosts perversion of files in terms of color cross-over and both luminance and chrominance noise.

Consistent use of custom WB will boost the quality of your capture at least 100%."

Wow! 100% I wonder what scale that is on.

Thoughts regarding ColorRight and her soon to be published review. (Master Photographer and Teacher, Sara Frances )

Sara Frances, M.Photog.Cr., writes the Column "The Boutique Photographer" for Professional Photographer, an online magazine.

In her 2007 article, "White Balance, the Secret Weapon", Frances tells us:

"Raw files, though far more robust and editable than JPEG, are not fully color correctable without consequences."

Here is a link to the article proper, which gives some interesting hints about performing WB color correction in Photoshop:

http://www.ppmag.com/web-exclusives/2007/11/white-balance-the-secret-weapo-1.html

Ken Tanaka

pro member
Recently there seems to be a lot of noise concerning white balance, probably owing to the bloom of new "custom white balance" gizmos on the market. I am sure that certain types of photographers who shoot jpg-only find these handy. (I know that the PPA, Ms. Frances' host, is almost exclusively composed of wedding photographers.) I've had an ExpoDisk for years, used it a handful of times, and can testify that it works fine. (I can also say that a nice sheet of white paper or cloth works fine, too.) I'm equally confident that the potential per-unit profit margins on these gadgets is very large. So the pressure for new products to squeeze into this little accessory market must be strong.

But frankly, from my seat, there are so many other factors that take much higher precedence in creating a compelling photographic image that I can't get excited about this subject. Doesn't it seems like a dead horse issue to you?

Cem_Usakligil

...This will of course be fascinating reading.

Consistent use of custom WB will boost the quality of your capture at least 100%."[/color]

Wow! 100% I wonder what scale that is on.
Hi Doug,

Logarithmic scale, of course!

Mrs. France writes:
... It took me more than a year of using the raw converter before the light bulb came on. Why doesn’t anybody just tell us that raw has the artistic power of Ansel Adams’ chemical darkroom, his famous Zone System? Raw conversion is digital darkroom for adults—and so much easier!
I am truly fascinated.

Cheers,

Doug Kerr

Hi, Ken,

So the pressure for new products to squeeze into this little accessory market must be strong.

But frankly, from my seat, there are so many other factors that take much higher precedence in creating a compelling photographic image that I can't get excited about this subject. Doesn't it seems like a dead horse issue to you?

Well, compensating for the chromaticity of the incident light is a significant issue, and I would be hard pressed to say that it was more or less important than some other aspects. It is certainly less important that the skill and insight of the photographer!

In any case, regardless of its relative importance, there are a couple of well-known general approaches to dealing with this issue, and for each, there are well-known specific techniques, and for each, there are well known "tools". I find no recent new wisdom in the area.

But of course, there is always the urge to get a piece of the market for "tools", and sadly it is often pursued without benefit of any new technical concept (yea, often without benefit of any technical concept, as in the case of the ColorRight coaster and several other recent gadgets).

Sometimes, as I keep a watchful eye over parts of this mystic landscape, I feel like a collector of ancient "quack" medical apparatus.

Thanks for your observations.

Best regards,

Doug

Michael Tapes

OPF Administrator/Moderator
Gee......

And I thought that WhiBal actually being certified as neutral* was going to be enough. I guess I will have to find some smoke and mirrors someplace, or maybe a duck (for the "quack" approach).

*Each WhiBal card (not sheet of material or sample or batch...each card) is measured and certified to be "perfectly" neutral (a* & b* channels = 0.0 +/- 0.5) before final packaging.

I look forward to the report. Thanks for the heads up.

BTW...I wonder why *I* do not receive their mailings. I did buy one (for testing).

Doug Kerr

Hi, Michael,

And I thought that WhiBal actually being certified as neutral* was going to be enough. I guess I will have to find some smoke and mirrors someplace, or maybe a duck (for the "quack" approach).

The AFLAC duck seems to be past his peak. Perhaps he will be available soon. (I think it is the writers, though, that have lost their groove!)

*Each WhiBal card (not sheet of material or sample or batch...each card) is measured and certified to be "perfectly" neutral (a* & b* channels = 0.0 +/- 0.5) before final packaging.

Oh, Michael, why must you continue to introduce scientific notions into this matter of faith. Next we know, you'll be believing in Darwinian evolution!

I look forward to the report. Thanks for the heads up.

I think Charlie Gibson will do part of it tonight. No, wait, that's Sarah.

BTW...I wonder why *I* do not receive their mailings. I did buy one (for testing).

In the immortal words of Bing Crosby, "Count your blessings ...".

Best regards,

Doug

Nill Toulme

"Raw files, though far more robust and editable than JPEG, are not fully color correctable without consequences."

File that under Things That Make You Say Hmmm...

Nill

Doug Kerr

Hi, Nill,

File that under Things That Make You Say Hmmm...

Indeed. Still, I think it is better than:

"Although the Moon is smaller than the Earth, it is farther away."

or even

"So, what do you think is more important? Five guys who ask technical questions about how the ColorRight works, or the hundreds of people who have ordered one?"

or even

"What does a diffuser do in this scenario, you ask? Well, Doug, it diffuses."

Best regards,

Doug

Doug Kerr

Hi, Michael,

Gee......

Keep in mind that the neutral card approach (as implemented by your WhiBal targets) is doomed by its failure to capture the light reflected from the subject. I mean, after all, isn't it the effect of the ambient light on the subject in which we are interested?

At least this is what we learn when the Parrot speaks.

"Speak, Polly, speak." "Quack".

Best regards,

Doug

Doug Kerr

One interesting train of logic comes to us from the manufacturer in connection with the Color Parrot/ColorRight WB measurement tool. It goes this way. My comments are included.

I have of course paraphrased the statement of the elements (which are not clearly articulated by the manufacturer). If I have misconstrued what has been said, I'd be glad to be corrected.

1. When making WB measurements from "the camera position for the shot", we would like the diffuser to principally capture the light reflected from our subject.

Well, no - that light represents not only the chromaticity of the ambient light, which is what we need to know, but as well the reflective color of the subject. We don't want to know "A x R" - just "A".

2. Our diffuser will best do that if it's "acceptance pattern" [my term] is relatively narrow.

Well, that is certainly true, for better or worse.

3. In the interest of that, in the latest design of the Color Parrot/ColorRight tool, the width of the acceptance pattern is reduced (compared to that of the original design) by masking off all but the central portion of the device with an opaque "diaphragm".

Well, that won't do it, any more than reducing the aperture of a lens decreases its field of view. Tests here confirm that the pattern of the device is little changed by removing the "masking" layer.

Best regards,

Doug