• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Hosting.

Chris Marrero

I am wondering if the major portion of photographers have done research about where they have their websites hosted. The people I am getting to build my site had it hosted for me as well. I am regretting that now cause I have very little idea how to manage my site. Plus, it's always a matter of time, getting my stuff on the web and up in front of people so they can see it. ( getting into their hands and them getting it up. )

I guess I never thought about it till now. ... what do you think

Alain Briot

pro member
Having control over your site is primordial. I suggest you ask your designer to give you a copy of your entire site on a CD/DVD in case you decide to host it elsewhere. They could also give you access to the hosting location so that you can make changes yourself.

Also, make sure you own the domain name, and that it is not owned by your web designer! If it is, it can be very difficult to get it back and under your name. Keep in mind that you may not want to work with the same web designer forever....

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi Chris,

Welcome to OPF. Everything Alain advises plus this: Get Contribute by Adobe. It allows you to make changes to your website under the agreement of the site builder so you don't ruin things while you learn. Get a local website builder who you can work with face to face and tell then their job is to make you sufficiently proficient so you can work within the structure they establish for you.

For example, you should be able to update any body of text or else update you galleries from one of your own programs like iviewmedia pro ie Microsoft Expression or Bridge, Lighroom, aperture or whatever you use.

Asher

Chris Marrero

thanks

thanks. I have started a new job so I am in a bit of "time limbo" right now. (plus I am moving to a different state). Once I get everything settled I will get my access straighten out. (cause now we are in two different states)