• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

A panorama - Colorado's Rocky Mountains

John Angulat

pro member
Here's one I stitched together from my travels around Colorados Rocky Mountains. Even a panorama could not convey the sense of scale. This was a rare crystal clear day with no impending storms. Cooperating too was the wind - virtually absent, which allowed incredibly distant details to emerge. The right side of the image gives you a visual measure of the distance.
I hope you enjoy the image as much as I do.

rockies900w.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

John Angulat

pro member
Here's one I stitched together from my travels around Colorados Rocky Mountains. Even a panorama could not convey the sense of scale. This was a rare crystal clear day with no impending storms. Cooperating too was the wind - virtually absent, which allowed incredibly distant details to emerge. The right side of the image gives you a visual measure of the distance.
I hope you enjoy the image as much as I do.

rocksm2.jpg

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Oh, sh---t, I forgot my skis!

Stuning and beautifull. Very well done

I don't know if the abscence of the lower part of the trees is distracting or in favor to the perspective…

Despite the non easy way to look at it (even on my 30" Spectraview 3090!) your image needs that large scale… smaller would be spoiling it…

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Oh, sh---t, I forgot my skis!

Stuning and beautifull. Very well done

I don't know if the abscence of the lower part of the trees is distracting or in favor to the perspective…

Despite the non easy way to look at it (even on my 30" Spectraview 3090!) your image needs that large scale… smaller would be spoiling it…
Exactly stated. I'd place a smaller image too, if that's something you'd wish to do. If so, send it to me, say 90-1000 pixels wide and I'll add it before the large one. editor.opfATmac.com replace AT with @ of course!

Asher

Valentin Arfire

beautiful view.

I think the colors are very strong, the sharpness is good.
The forest and the mountain are magnificent.
Saturated clouds
Probably the jpg compression left some artifacts on the sky.

great picture

could you add the technical details?
regards,

John Angulat

pro member
Nicolas, Bill, Asher & Valentin,
It's always a pleasure to receive compliments upon an image, but when the Masters speak...well, I'm humbled. Thank you so much!

Nicholas, I use a pair of 27" monitors and the image still seems to wrap around the room! I'll be sure to downsize much more in the future. I intentionally included the trees in an attempt to portray the massive scale of the mountains and valleys. I love pointing out to others "notice those specks in the distant background? They're 100' trees, just like those in front of you!".

Bill, There's a total of 25 frames. The final image is horizontally stitched from 5 final images, each final stitch component derived from a 5 exposure HDR.

Asher, as always, your willingness to help is what makes this forum such a pleasure to participate in. I'll email the reduced image as soon as I'm finished typing this reply.

Last, and certainly not least Valentin...the master of panoramas - thanks for the compliments. The clouds were the best I could accomplish (I wish they had been better). It's a result of all the HDR work. The sun was blinding and I had been dealing with some incredibly bright exposures. I should've checked my histograms but I rushed. I'll know better the next time if the opportunity presents itself.
As all the EXIF info is stripped during the HDR and stitching process, I checked the base images. Shot with a D200, fixed focal Nikkor 35mm f/1.4. Manual exposure bracketed around f/11.

Again, thank you all for the compliments and critque.

Alain Briot

pro member
Very nice. I like it.

The light on the trees is remarkable and for this reason I'd like to see more of the trees. I think that over time, if I had this print in my house on the walls, I'd miss not having more of the trees. When the light is this good, it has to take precedence in the composition of the image. Of course the clouds and the mountain are nice too, but the trees is really where the finest light is.

Valentin Arfire

Nicolas, Bill, Asher & Valentin,
It's always a pleasure to receive compliments upon an image, but when the Masters speak...well, I'm humbled. Thank you so much!

Nicholas, I use a pair of 27" monitors and the image still seems to wrap around the room! I'll be sure to downsize much more in the future. I intentionally included the trees in an attempt to portray the massive scale of the mountains and valleys. I love pointing out to others "notice those specks in the distant background? They're 100' trees, just like those in front of you!".

Bill, There's a total of 25 frames. The final image is horizontally stitched from 5 final images, each final stitch component derived from a 5 exposure HDR.

Asher, as always, your willingness to help is what makes this forum such a pleasure to participate in. I'll email the reduced image as soon as I'm finished typing this reply.

Last, and certainly not least Valentin...the master of panoramas - thanks for the compliments. The clouds were the best I could accomplish (I wish they had been better). It's a result of all the HDR work. The sun was blinding and I had been dealing with some incredibly bright exposures. I should've checked my histograms but I rushed. I'll know better the next time if the opportunity presents itself.
As all the EXIF info is stripped during the HDR and stitching process, I checked the base images. Shot with a D200, fixed focal Nikkor 35mm f/1.4. Manual exposure bracketed around f/11.

Again, thank you all for the compliments and critque.

thank you for the undeserved compliment, there are real good photographers around and getting the skills for pano-stitching is actually not so complicated. The true master is John Houghton - see for youself his marvelous work
http://www.johnhpanos.com/sphericl.htm

the Nikkor lens did a wonderful job.
it's a pity the full frame from Nikon are so expensive for now...

redards,