• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

MacGyver question

David McKinny

One of my projects, as given to me by my wife, is to take a portrait of my daughter suitable for sending out as a Christmas card. All I have to work with is a Canon 30D, a very old and cheap camcorder tripod, 18-55 kit lens, 50 1.8, 70-200 4.0 (which the tripod won't support) and a remote release. Since I am fairly new to photography, I'm looking for any suggestions that might spark an idea.

I'm thinking the tripod and the thrifty 50 as a start, but I can't seem to get past the lighting part.

Ken Tanaka

pro member
Welcome David.

Light can be the easiest and least expensive element; it's free!

Many of the most beautiful portraits use existing light. Park your daughter near a window on an overcast afternoon to get nice soft light. Use a piece of white board to reflect fill light if needed. That 30D is one hell of a camera more than capable of doing the job very nicely.

The 70-200 mm is a common choice for portraiture, mainly for depth of field narrowness and spacial compression. But give other focal lengths a whirl as space permits.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Welcome David.

Light can be the easiest and least expensive element; it's free!

Many of the most beautiful portraits use existing light. Park your daughter near a window on an overcast afternoon to get nice soft light. Use a piece of white board to reflect fill light if needed. That 30D is one hell of a camera more than capable of doing the job very nicely.

The 70-200 mm is a common choice for portraiture, mainly for depth of field narrowness and spacial compression. But give other focal lengths a whirl as space permits.

Hi David,

Ken has put most of it down so well for you! The 70-200 is one of the best tools for portrait you could buy for any money. The D30 is a marvelous camera. I like the doorways and by windows. People can lean and be comfortable or look outside and it generally sets the mood well. Look at her face. If there are hard shadows then the light is wrong. Pick a later time, away from the high sun or a day that's, as Ken suggests overcast. You can if you wish have a white card or reflector at an angle below the face, softening the shadows.

This 70-200 f4.0 lens, you have, is magnificent, wide open at f4.0! Use an ISO of 160 ior higher if the light is limited and set the camera to aperture priority, letters Av. If you have enough light you might even close the aperture to f 5.6 but there is generally no need to go beyond that.

Good luck. We'd love to see this work in progress! :)

Asher

fahim mohammed

Hi David...you have had the experts give you some tips. mine might seem too simple and mundane
but worth the effort.

First..how old is your daughter? The reason I ask is that to take a portrait as suggested might require
her to be patient/still for some time. If she is young then what you have to go for might be a candid
shot.

I personally would use your 50/1.8 which approaches a very flattering portrait focal length of around
80mm on the D30. Stop it down to about 2.8 to give yourself some dof.

If she is very young, follow her around shooting. If older follow Ken and Asher's advice.
Window light coming through the white shades is just glorious.

What do you/your wife associate ( want to associate ) with this Christmas. try to feed this association
in the picture.

Please share your results with us.

Am I permitted to wish youand your family an early Merry Christmas.

Best.