• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Goodwood Revival

John_Nevill

Here's one for the classic car enthusiasts!

GrevJLN.jpg

A 1954 Jaguar MkVII (driven by Rowan Atkinson aka Mr Bean) leads a 1950 Ford Lincoln Cosmopolitan (driven by Julian Balme) and a 1956 Austin 105 Westminster (driven by Jim Woodley)!

All taking part in the St Mary's Trophy race at the Goodwood Revival yesterday.

Don Lashier

Thanks John,

This definitely brings back memories. When shopping for my first car circa 1963 I almost bought a Mark VII. They had fallen out of favor at the time (presumably due to the newer and smaller Mark I) and I test drove a '53 available for $300. The thing drove like a boat however, as evidenced by your photo. Ultimately I bought a '58 Beetle instead for twice the price as I had a long daily commute to UCLA and it was much more practical.

- DL

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
John,

Describe the course, speeds and rules. Also why the number? Are there more such Jags? From the 3rd car perhaps they all have numbers on the side. I wonder whether the owners worry about damaging expensive paint jobs?

Asher

John_Nevill

Asher,

Goodwood was a major circuit in its hey day (1950-60s), The course went in disrepair and Lord March bought it a few years back. Two main events are held there annualy, Festival of Speed (Hill Climb Event) and the Revival (Circuit Races).

The revival started in 1948 and holds 13 cup races spread over three days. The circuit encompasses an old airfield with neglible barriers, lots of straw bales and some classic bends, namely woodcote, lavant and madgwick.

To give you an idea of lap speed, the 1950's Jags where averaging 85mph, while the Lotus Ford's/ Corvettes/Ferraris/Maseratis were around 98mph.

Its a real classic car event, with very expensive/concourse cars and motorcycles being driven/ridden by many famous people, Stirling Moss (the 1st guy to ever win a race ther in 1948), Giacomo Agostini and Derek Bell to name but a few!

The diversity of cars is pretty impressive, Lola Chevys, Ferrari 250s, GT40s.....the list goes on!

What's great about the event is that most people (particpants and public) dress up in period costumes to help re-enact history. Its photographic haven! Even better if the sun comes out.

Mary Bull

So, where can I see more?

A similar revival event took place in California, recently. I saw it on the public broadcasting station show "California's Gold." That event interested me, because my brother had a Ford "Tin Lizzie" restored last year at a small family company headquartered on top of an Alabama mountain, the StreetRod Garage. (Terrible website, though, so I won't bother anyone with the URL.) My brother has yet to drive his restored classic anywhere, except around town, and I doubt that he'll make it to the California races..

Anyway, I really would like to see more of the St Mary's Trophy race at the Goodwood Revival.

Oh--just had a thought. Perhaps there are more at your website galleries?

John_Nevill

Hi Mary,

I took ~1000 images at the event and haven't processed them yet as I have a club photo competition this on wednesday. So I'm busy ploughing through tons of animal shots, trying to find something that the judges may like.

Why are we so critical of our own work?, you'd think it be easy.

Anyhow, i'll post a reply with my Revival gallery later in the week.

Thanks very much for your interest.

John_Nevill

Nicolas Claris said:
also some do have doubts...

I think you are so right on this, club photo comps can be subjective! Even when you research what type of image the judges favour, one gets caught out.