• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

A day at the beach

Cem_Usakligil

I went to the North Sea coast together with Bart this afternoon. It was excellent weather. Lots of folks on the beach, nice cloud coverage, waves crushing on the shore; what else can a photographer want? I was just shooting with my new (second hand) EF 100 2.8 macro lens in order to get acquainted with it. So here is an impression of what I saw. Please feel free to C&C as usual.

beach1.jpg

beach2.jpg

beach4.jpg

beach5.jpg

Cheers,

Mike Shimwell

Cem, a nice day out and some nice pictures too. I've been known to go for a walk with the 100.

I particularly like the disembodied legs and dogs on the steps - did you grab that or set it up?

Also the couple that follow it are nice - the (sharp to touch..) give a nice geometric feel that reminds me of some beaches I've been to in the past.

The steps and slide is nice, but the sky's a slightly odd colour on my laptop (horrible uncalibrated screen) and the previous shot of the ladies looking at the boat has a really old fashioned rendering. Again, very nice

Mike

karlo reyes

hi cem,

it seems like a very nice day at the beach! im loving the wooden planks and strong waves!

much respect,
karlo

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Cem,

You are erupting in creativity. Be careful. don't drink coffee, crash your car or divorce your wife. This is one hell of a practice session with a second hand 100mm 2.8 Macro lens. Rachel, was more succinct in exposing her awe of your work, as if this lens in your hands, is the gateway to creative Nirvana!

I am so impressed with your new work. I can see great strides in openness to new experience. Make sure you rest in between this artistic splurge of energy. This set of new pictures raises a lot of new questions to the fore about the role of the small figure in the composition of scenic and geometric compositions.

Of course, I can see the less successful images, anyone who thinks I've gone batty! It's the good parts I see and take with me. I'll come back to share my impressions I have to individual pictures. But in the meanwhile, kudos to you! I wish this blessing from heaven to fall on us all. We must risk, like Cem has here, going to new areas and working, really working to take geometry and significance into our planning of new images.

Asher

Asher Kelman

beach1.jpg

This picture needs to be looked at apart from the rest. It doesn't work for me at all, but I see the interest. The figure seems to hold no really useful place, even in all crops I can test with. Is it because the sky is too dark. If it was lightened and made important, then would the figure now become more valuable? Or am I just plain wrong?

Lightening the sky and cropping away the lower 2/3 might be worth looking at; I just haven't tired it.

Asher

Last edited:

Mike Shimwell

beach1.jpg

This picture needs to be looked at apart from the rest. It doesn't work for me at all, but I see the interest. The figure seems to hold not really useful place, even in all crops I can test with. Is it because the sky is too dark. If it was lightened and made important, then would the figure now become more valuable? Or am I just plain wrong?

Lightening the sky and cropping away the lower 2/3 might be worth looking at; I just haven't tired it.

Asher

I though that I would be inclined to frame this with the figure in the lower part of the frame. The two rows of poles then form an inverted v, with the figure to the lower left and an expanse of sky above. This would also remove the foreground, which detail distracts from the pictures construction. At present the figure appears perched on top something, looking like he's about to fall off:)

All my opinion of course.

Still love the disembidied legs on the steps.

Mike

Asher Kelman

Both these pictures move me. I love the colors and the geometrical compositioning.

beach2.jpg

Your chosen low angle, adds the fascinating textured ground, makes the couple large and as important as the giant ship and also includes enough of the sky to balance the zones of the image. The bench, couple standing and the massive boat make a linear story. They're amazed at this behemoth's arrival, and get up to enjoy the experience. Wonderful in this story and the shapes.

The last picture is similarly well composed. The wavy grasses remind me of Van Gogh brush strokes! What generous sienna!

beach5.jpg

Thanks, so much!

Doug Kerr

Hi, Cem,

I went to the North Sea coast together with Bart this afternoon. It was excellent weather. Lots of folks on the beach, nice cloud coverage, waves crushing on the shore; what else can a photographer want? I was just shooting with my new (second hand) EF 100 2.8 macro lens in order to get acquainted with it. So here is an impression of what I saw. Please feel free to C&C as usual.

These are all lovely, but numbers 2 and 4 are just extraordinary!

Thanks so much.

Looks like the 100 mm f/2.8 macro is well suited to this kind of work.

Best regards,

Doug

Cem_Usakligil

Hi All,

Thanks a lot for your kind responses, much appreciated. I am aware that not all pictures in this series are good enough to stand on their own. The reason I have decided to include them is to give you a total overview of the kind of things I have come across at the beach yesterday, just for the pics to complement each other. I will come back to the 1st picture later as I have other frames as well. PS: I was in a rush to select, process and post process the pictures last night before going to bed too late and this morning I see that I have been a bit shabby and/or overzealous in the pp arena. So I will re-pp them when I have the time.

@Mike: the stairs with the women and the dogs is a favourite to me as well. I was busy composing to shoot the stairs and they came down the stairs. So I waited for the instant and clicked.

@Rachel: Asher has helped me understand what you were trying to say, thanks so much.

@Doug/Karlo: Thanks guys.

@Asher: I'll return back to your comments.

Cheers,

Cem_Usakligil

beach1.jpg

This picture needs to be looked at apart from the rest. It doesn't work for me at all, but I see the interest. The figure seems to hold no really useful place, even in all crops I can test with. Is it because the sky is too dark. If it was lightened and made important, then would the figure now become more valuable? Or am I just plain wrong?

Asher

I though that I would be inclined to frame this with the figure in the lower part of the frame. The two rows of poles then form an inverted v, with the figure to the lower left and an expanse of sky above. This would also remove the foreground, which detail distracts from the pictures construction. At present the figure appears perched on top something, looking like he's about to fall off:)

All my opinion of course.

Still love the disembidied legs on the steps.

Mike
So does this version look better to you?

beach9.jpg

Cheers,

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Cem my friend
I'm in a hurry, just wanted to wow (specially the 1st set)!
Will come back later…

Kind regards

janet Smith

pro member
Hi Cem

I enjoy using my 100mm macro lens for shooting a variety of subjects, flowers, landscapes, rivers, waterfalls, people, it's a really useful lens, glad to see you're enjoying it too.

I like your new version of shot No 1, it didn't work for me either with the foreground in, but I really like the amended version, I have a very similar shot taken at Whitby. I also like No's 3 & 6.

janet Smith

pro member
Hi Bart

How interesting to see both yours and Cem's shots, I really like No 6, and No's 2 & 3, I could see No 3 also working well in b & W. Which lens/lenses were you using?

Hi Bart

How interesting to see both yours and Cem's shots, I really like No 6, and No's 2 & 3, I could see No 3 also working well in b & W. Which lens/lenses were you using?

Hi Jan,

Yes, that's why we both post in the same thread. It hopefully shows that the same subject can be interpreted in different ways.

My intent was to explore the interaction between nature, and man made structures.

I basically used my EF 135mm f/2 most, and the TS-E 24mm for some, in particular for number 3 (to allow the steps to remain in focus by using tilt, and exploit the projection perspective of a WA). I was experimenting a bit with the more shallow DOF of the 135mm, but a bit more DOF would have produced more 'keepers', in hindsight.

Cheers,
Bart

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Hi Cem
as promised, some comments…
1st set, 1st picture : I like it all, the placement of the personnage, nice light and colors. Nervous but peacefull…
2nd: nice composition and perfect timing…
3rd: funny!, I like the pier wooden structure, too bad the highlighted water is burned out in the BG…
4th: Lovely! should print beautifully. Dunno why, but let me think to some American style…

I like less the 2nd set, not they are bad! but less powerfull if you ask me, but do you ;-)?

At the end, because of the feeling of humor and joy you conveyed, I had loved to do that promenade with Bart and you, though I would have left my camera at home… and look at at you both shooting to your right and left!

fahim mohammed

Cem, I like the second set of images more. the light seems to have been good, but the beach seems
waiting for people. and here i like your image depicting the deserted expanse of space. I do love the dog and the owner going down the stairs..out for a walk on a good day.

the water rushing thru the wooden poles..swoosh..can almost hear it. i do like closeups more than wa.

good job sir.

best.