• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

New Toy!

fahim mohammed

Got my Fuji X 100S 2 days ago.

Tried it out today. As it was set. Nothing special.

Walked around my house and neighborhood.

p110665741.jpg

p317261544-5.jpg

Need to work on the color settings or do .raf files.

p536190002.jpg

p325723991.jpg

Feels nice in my hands. AF is fast enough for me. Got to read the manual!!

p.s. Those are not potholes. They are laying a super duper fibre optic cable to replace the old one.

Cem_Usakligil

Good purchase Fahim, have fun with it. I have thought about buying one myself too.
More importantly, good to see that you are moving around again.

Doug Kerr

Hi, Fahim,

Got my Fuji X 100S 2 days ago.
Well, I assume you were a brave puppy during your recent medical "challenge", and thus you deserve a nice toy.
My current medical challenge is far less daunting - iliotibial band syndrome in my right leg - and my toy from Carla is a Canon Powershot G16 (reported on separately.)​
One of my favorite cameras (film) was my Yashica Lynx 5000, which had a 35-mm lens (same FOV as your new toy) and a chrome cap livery, evocative of that on your new toy!

I will be especially keen to learn of your thoughts on the fascinating hybrid OVF/EVF viewfinder system on the machine. I read about it this morning in the dpr "preview", and it seems to be somewhere between amazing and horrifying (but that's Fujifilm for you!).

I assume your cardiologist has prescribed modest exercise, and what better "ballast" to stabilize you during such than a nice "street-shooting" camera like this.

Best regards,

Doug

Tom dinning

Registrant*
You can't impress me with your new toy, Fahim, only with the photos from it. I have no doubt they will do so. Enjoy your walks.

Jerome Marot

I will be especially keen to learn of your thoughts on the fascinating hybrid OVF/EVF viewfinder system on the machine.

The finder of the original X100 was quite good and I suppose that the one in the 100s is identical. The entirely optical finder of the X10 is the best in its kind (external and coupled zoom finders) and much better than the one of the Canon G series. The switchable optical / electronic finder in the X1 is surprisingly less good than the one of the X100.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
p110665741.jpg

p317261544-5.jpg

The miraculous "toy", Fahim, our lucky friend, is your heart, pumping away, LOL! That's the gift that keeps giving!

Kudos to governments putting money into education and healthcare! Imagine if that hospital wan't there!

Asher

fahim mohammed

Good purchase Fahim, have fun with it. I have thought about buying one myself too.
More importantly, good to see that you are moving around again.

Thanks a lot Cem. Weight was the prime mover for me. And high ISO.

I have to walk Cem..started slowly and building up.

Thank you once again and my best wishes to your family.

fahim mohammed

Hi, Fahim,

Well, I assume you were a brave puppy during your recent medical "challenge", and thus you deserve a nice toy.
My current medical challenge is far less daunting - iliotibial band syndrome in my right leg - and my toy from Carla is a Canon Powershot G16 (reported on separately.)​
One of my favorite cameras (film) was my Yashica Lynx 5000, which had a 35-mm lens (same FOV as your new toy) and a chrome cap livery, evocative of that on your new toy!

I will be especially keen to learn of your thoughts on the fascinating hybrid OVF/EVF viewfinder system on the machine. I read about it this morning in the dpr "preview", and it seems to be somewhere between amazing and horrifying (but that's Fujifilm for you!).

I assume your cardiologist has prescribed modest exercise, and what better "ballast" to stabilize you during such than a nice "street-shooting" camera like this.

Best regards,

Doug

Hi Doug.

I am sorry to hear about the problem in your tibia. I am told that it can be managed ( that further acceleration can be slowed..I have my young one with me!! ). Take care of them ligaments Doug. Physiotherapy is the ticket.

Re: the X 100s, the 35mm is not my first choice. It was that or the Ricoh 28mm. Ricoh lost out in high ISO performance.

The hybrid viewfinder..early days, but I am neither displeased or over enthusiastic about it. That could change.

I am taking it easy..because my body does not allow otherwise!!

Best to Carla and yourself.

fahim mohammed

You can't impress me with your new toy, Fahim, only with the photos from it. I have no doubt they will do so. Enjoy your walks.

Hello there Tom.

I shall visit the really antique market for musical instruments and see what this cam makes of it.

Take care.

fahim mohammed

The finder of the original X100 was quite good and I suppose that the one in the 100s is identical. The entirely optical finder of the X10 is the best in its kind (external and coupled zoom finders) and much better than the one of the Canon G series. The switchable optical / electronic finder in the X1 is surprisingly less good than the one of the X100.

Jerome, thanks for stopping by. I have not used the X 100 or the X 10, so cannot compare. I think with some experience under my belt, things shall become clearer. :)

Kind regards.

Jerome Marot

We're all pleased that you are out of the hospital and able to walk again, Fahim. Best wishes to you and your family.

fahim mohammed

The miraculous "toy", Fahim, our lucky friend, is your heart, pumping away, LOL! That's the gift that keeps giving!

Kudos to governments putting money into education and healthcare! Imagine if that hospital wan't there!

Asher

Asher, you could not be more right. It keeps ticking even after sadistic abuse of 40 years of smoking and no exercise!!

I have to thank Allah for the life given me and then my Government that has provided us with the best facilities anyone could ask for,,health, education, infrastructure, support and so on. May Allah Bless them.

In street language it is called diastolic disfunction. Or the street urchins might refer to it as congestive cardiac arrest. There was also an issue with pulmonary edema. COPD.

The doctor's call it.. a slight cardiac problem :)

Happened early morning. Son was on call and had to go to his hosp. Came in to say bye. Saw me gasping for breadth. Did his thing; what he has been trained to do.
Ayesha was running a 26 km marathon.

Now this is what I was told. I was out. The A&E were waiting. Immediate resuscitation procedures were induced. Ali and Dr. Stephens were there. As was Ayesha. My son's prof. and RTs.

Stabilised, transferred to CCU. 4/5/6 days..I don't know.

Anyways, this was not my time to go. When it comes, it comes.

fahim mohammed

Back to the camera...

Very low light. I came in close. Very close. Ayesha told me to watch it..use mouthwash and not get too informal.

The lens is not a macro lens ( people misname ' close ' with macro/micro ).

p319682175-5.jpg

Doug Kerr

Hi, Fahim,

I am sorry to hear about the problem in your tibia.
It actually presents along the femur (the band inserts just at the top of the tibia).

I am told that it can be managed ( that further acceleration can be slowed..I have my young one with me!! ). Take care of them ligaments Doug. Physiotherapy is the ticket.
Indeed, and I am under the care in that regard of a noted Dutch-trained physiotherapist here in Alamogordo. He is an exponent of the McKenzie school of articular diagnosis, which proceeds basically from a mechanical engineering outlook (he said he knew I would insist on that outlook anyway!). Most of the orthopedic surgeons in town are among his clients (for themselves).

In fact he says I need to do the work, and Carla just reminds me of the need to do a round of exercises now!

Re: the X 100s, the 35mm is not my first choice. It was that or the Ricoh 28mm. Ricoh lost out in high ISO performance.

The hybrid viewfinder..early days, but I am neither displeased or over enthusiastic about it. That could change.
It is indeed a very complicated matter!

I am taking it easy..because my body does not allow otherwise!!
Please proceed on that basis.

Best regards,

Doug & Carla

Michael Nagel

Glad to see you moving again. Your new toy is certainly a motivation, but I hope that the perimeter of your strolls will get larger and larger - becaus you feel so, you can and you want to...

Best regards,
Michael

fahim mohammed

I went to Starbucks in the morning ( I have stopped drinking coffee !! ).

The X 100s missed a few focus points. Now, it could be me, the subject , the cam or gremlins..I don't know. I shall reserve judgement on this issue till I have more hours with the cam.

p982696227.jpg

fahim mohammed

Long story short..the X 100s is not for me. We did not hit it off. Happens.

Investigated the EM-1 with the zoom ( 12-40 ) and the 75/1.8

Not for me either. Lovely machine. Ideal for travel. But not for me.

So I shall stick with my XE-1 and the Leica as my system.

It was exiting exploring new toys. They are very capable.

Just not for me.

Cem_Usakligil

For me, the process/joy of taking a picture is even more important than the end result. So I understand you fully. If a camera disturbs that process, then it isn't the right one.

Doug Kerr

Hi, Fahim,

Just not for me.
This is what Carla calls "learning by buying".

The matter of what will make a particular machine "suit us" is very complicated and often difficult to quantify. Both the left and right brain hemispheres are involved.

Sometimes we must extract our criteria from our decisions.

The bottom line is that we should have what pleases us (if it exists and if we can "afford" it).

Best regards,

Doug

fahim mohammed

Hi, Fahim,

This is what Carla calls "learning by buying".

The matter of what will make a particular machine "suit us" is very complicated and often difficult to quantify. Both the left and right brain hemispheres are involved.

Sometimes we must extract our criteria from our decisions.

The bottom line is that we should have what pleases us (if it exists and if we can "afford" it).

Best regards,

Doug

Hello Doug.

Can be expensive, such lessons!

Cem_Usakligil

Just not for me.
You know what Fahim, I have had a similar situation here. Eventually, I've brought back my Sony Nex-6 body and the Carl Zeiss 16-70/f4 lens combo to the store and swapped it for a new Sony A7 body and the 28-70/f3.5-f5.6 kit lens today. Nex-6 was too slow to shoot with (not the shutter lag but the 2-3 seconds it took before I can take a picture when I brought it to my eye), there was too much noise in the dark areas @1600 ISO or more, the dynamic range was less than what I thought it would have been, some essential functions such as exposure compensation were hidden behind menus and/or multiple buttons and last, but not least, there was no support from DxO for my lens/body combination. All in all, it just didn't feel right, also from the emotional point of view.

So here I am, yet with a fourth camera within one year (Nex7 -> D800 -> Nex6 -> A7). Sigh! Will I ever learn?

I have bought the A7 with the kit lens. The only available alternative was the CZ 35mm/f2.8 lens, but it was way too expensive (900 Euro) for a mere f2.8 prime. So I will wait and see which lenses will be coming out in 2014. I can always sell the kit lens later, if it disappoints.

fahim mohammed

Hello Cem.

I hope you enjoy your cam system setup in health and happiness.

These are minor bumps in the grand scheme of things. Infinitesimal actually and we worry about it. But that is us..the humans.

I might ( might ) just add a fujinon x mount 56/1.2 for my XE-1 when it is available. But that too is something I am undecided about. More a want than a need.

Cannot afford ( monetarily and time wise ) to be chasing after every new toy that comes along. There is no cam that is the holy grail for image making. I know that, for me, the limitation is me; not my current equipment.

I am content with what cam/s I have. Hopefully can continue to enjoy them and wish that all of OPF members continue to enjoy their hobbies for a long time to come in health and contentment.

Kindest regards.

Cem_Usakligil

Hello Cem.

I hope you enjoy your cam system setup in health and happiness.

These are minor bumps in the grand scheme of things. Infinitesimal actually and we worry about it. But that is us..the humans.

I might ( might ) just add a fujinon x mount 56/1.2 for my XE-1 when it is available. But that too is something I am undecided about. More a want than a need.

Cannot afford ( monetarily and time wise ) to be chasing after every new toy that comes along. There is no cam that is the holy grail for image making. I know that, for me, the limitation is me; not my current equipment.

I am content with what cam/s I have. Hopefully can continue to enjoy them and wish that all of OPF members continue to enjoy their hobbies for a long time to come in health and contentment.

Kindest regards.
You are absolutely right Fahim. The feelings and wishes are mutual of course.

Jerome Marot

So here I am, yet with a fourth camera within one year (Nex7 -> D800 -> Nex6 -> A7). Sigh! Will I ever learn?

There seems to be an epidemic running amongst photographers since a year or so. You are not the first one to buy a few new toys to discover that they do not please you at all. There have been others on this forum and around me, including myself. I hate to admit it, but I have been buying far too many cameras in the past year only to discover that I don't like them at all. Well, most of them.

I find that a bit puzzling. It is not that the cameras can't take decent pictures, it is more that I don't like to take pictures with them. For example: the Nex7 and D800, which you also bought. They are perfectly fine cameras, but they are not pleasurable to use.

Cem_Usakligil

There seems to be an epidemic running amongst photographers since a year or so. You are not the first one to buy a few new toys to discover that they do not please you at all. There have been others on this forum and around me, including myself. I hate to admit it, but I have been buying far too many cameras in the past year only to discover that I don't like them at all. Well, most of them.

I find that a bit puzzling. It is not that the cameras can't take decent pictures, it is more that I don't like to take pictures with them. For example: the Nex7 and D800, which you also bought. They are perfectly fine cameras, but they are not pleasurable to use.
Glad to hear that it is not only me Jerome. I have never felt the same level of attachment for the Nex7 nor for the D800 as I did for my old 5D Mk II. D800 was OK in all respects but it did not stir my emotions when I used it. Same for the Nex7/6. Now I should say that the A7 has caused some ripples of excitement though. It is too soon to tell now but I hope that it will become a permanent resident here.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I think that part of this is could be that new cameras get hyped up and then we fall into the delusion that, now at last, we can capture as scene with everything we felt at the time. Well that just can't happen and why we have post processing!

Asher