• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Around where I live: Architecture, Parks, Nightlife, Food, Wildlife! The other side of las vegas, nv aka sin city

Dave Butcher

When somebody says they are going to Las Vegas what is the first think that comes to mind? For most people it is Gambling and easy money, the sex workers (Hey we have plenty of that in Massage Parlors, Strip Club, Swingers Clubs, Gay Bathhouses and Gyms, etc..) I know I did when I first came to Las Vegas in 2004. But that is not all there is too Las Vegas, North Las Vegas, Clark County, and Henderson.

Here are some of the pictures that I have taken off of the Strip.

I took this one after the fire at the golf course maintenance shop. Right next to the Golf Course was a Walking Trail and this lady was texting on her phone when I snapped the picture.

This is the one thing that I love about Las Vegas. One minute your in the bustling City and the next your in the desert as you can see in this picture.

Dave Butcher

last one for tonight.

Not far from where I live we have a desert area called Spring Preserve which houses a couple of Museums, a Butterfly Habitat and a few other features to it. This is from the walking trail at the center and you can see that it is surrounded by the City itself.

This picture is in B/W and the next is the same picture but in color.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I am going through your pictures in Smugmug. I like this one

https://dw-butcher-photography.smugmug.com/LAS-VEGAS-/WALKING-VEGAS/i-hnwFRxR/A

But I haven't yet managed to wrap myself round your style. I recognize you photography here from the outside of "civilization" looking in.

Reminds me of a few pictures by Cem Usakligil of folk in The Netherlands sunbathing across from some plant spewing out industrial smoke/steam.

For sure your work is challenging me to pay attention.

Asher

Dave Butcher

I am going through your pictures in Smugmug. I like this one

https://dw-butcher-photography.smugmug.com/LAS-VEGAS-/WALKING-VEGAS/i-hnwFRxR/A

But I haven't yet managed to wrap myself round your style. I recognize you photography here from the outside of "civilization" looking in.

Reminds me of a few pictures by Cem Usakligil of folk in The Netherlands sunbathing across from some plant spewing out industrial smoke/steam.

For sure your work is challenging me to pay attention.

Asher

Thank you Asher. I just looked up Cem's photographs and I like the industrial one of the people sunbathing. And the one that you liked is also one that my biggest critic and supporter both liked and that is my wife. And I never thought of my photography as "outside of "civilization" looking in" but those pictures are the ones that a lot of people like and I never thought about it till now.

Dave Butcher

Here is another one that I took while at Spring Preserve. I purposely shot the Museum Building silhouetted while out on the trail. This was taken around noon time and the sun was beating down.

DESERT%20AND%20CITY%2000003-L.jpg

Dave Butcher

Last couple for the day.

This one was taken on the walking trails after that structure fire.

GEDC2162-L.jpg

Here is another one that I took while at the Preserves. When I was processing the picture I wanted to make bring the plant out into the foreground and make it stand out more. so this is what i came up with.

GEDC2341%2001%20-%20Copy-L.jpg

Doug Kerr

Hi, Dave,

All very nice.

The "spot color" for the cactus works very well for me.

Thanks.

Best regards,

Doug

Doug Kerr

Hi, Dave,

I enjoy your enthusiasm for and fascination with Las Vegas. It is indeed a town like no other, with more "faces" than any other city I know of.

My wife, Carla, attended Las Vegas High School in the early 1950's (class of 1956, although she did not graduate). People familiar with modern day Las Vegas sometimes ask, "Which high school?". Of course at the time there was only one - "Las Vegas High School". It is so nice that this name was preserved for a lovely new high school - now one of many. And of course the old LVHS building, with a wonderful art deco style, now housing the Las Vegas Academy of the Arts, has received a beautiful "facelift".

Best regards,

Doug

Doug Kerr

From the 1953 Las Vegas (Nevada) High School yearbook:

Carla_LVHS-53_badge.jpg

Las Vegas (Nevada) High School yearbook, the Echo, 1953 edition: Carla C. Crittenden, freshman
(the present Carla C. Kerr)​

Please excuse the quality of the image, which traveled a long path to get here!

Best regards,

Doug

Robert Watcher

Hello Dave. I would like to offer some guidance based on what I have read on other posts - that you are wanting to learn and get better. So please don't take what a have to say, as an attack, but more as a motivation to see differently. Ok?

You have a very interesting concept in trying to show through your photography the other side of Vegas. Unfotunately you do not as yet have the ability to deliver. Some of that may be technical ability, but most has to do with a lack of visualization we might say and being able to act on that.

What I see in every one of your images posted here, is typical of how everyone picking up a camera thinks they are capturing the true essence of what is front of them. The problem is that when they are looking at or showing others their photographs - they are seeing in the scene what they experienced and what they know was taking place. Problem is that noone else recognizes those things. This is totally common.

So as an example, most are your pictures are so far back that they are capturing all of what you were
looking at - that you saw with your eyes - but don't pass that information on to anyone who would view the photo image. As well there is nothing in the pics that have strong composition or content to draw someone in even if they don't know what is being shown. A conversion to black and white makes no difference in such cases.

Another common mistake is to try and create a story out of what you have photographed. I'll give you 2 examples from this set of pics. First is your comment that you wanted to keep the museum in silhouette. I suspect that this was an observation after the fact. Why I can say that is that your cameras meter would automatically recognize the large expanse in the scene and provide a correct exposure for the sky - as it did. So unless you were using exposure compensation to brighten the scene to make the buildings brighter and thus overexpose the sky --- there would be no other outcome than the buildings being dark as they are.

A second example is trying to make a story by isolating a portion of the frame and turning the rest to boack and white as in your cactus with selective colour. I would recommend not using this technique as it seldom works and is a little dated and tacky nowadays. It was common several years ago in the wedding and fashion trade. The point is to find ways through focal length selection, moving around the subject or probably most important - picking times early or late in the day to shoot.

I am not saying these things to discourage you. But to encourage you to forget about what your eyes are seeing, and instead visualize what it is about the scene that is atrracting you, and then hone in on specific elements that can help refelect that to viewers of your image. At this point, forget about technical skills and try a develop your creative skills. An example may be with your photo of the woman on the phone. Unless you said what was going on, it is impossible to tell. There is too much confusion, eyes are drawn to the blown out rocks in the foreground. So moving in tigher physically or with azoom lens would have been a good start. Not having her in dead center would also be useful. Moving your shooting position (by walking and moving your body) may provide a simpler background. Try to learn to see what is all around and behind - not just what is taking place that you are seeing with your eyes.

I encourage you to not get discouraged - and think it is great that you have an interesting concept here. Now you have the idea, just figure out how to deliver the goods when it comes to making your photographs speak to others. A good practice might be trying to figure what it is about photographers images that really hit you - that makes that happen and then see if can't find a similar success by looking for such scenarios and content to practice on. Developing creative skills takes time and lots of dedicated practice. Once you got a handle on that, you can worry about technical refinements - although that is becoming less of a need as cameras develop the way they are.

I know you would prefer to hear 'really nice puctures', but I can't say that and thought I may provide amore beneficial response in your case ---- because you have expressed the desire to improve. All the best.