• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Canon EOS R system white paper

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I commend to those interested in the "what and why" of the Canon EOS R system the excellent Canon white paper on the system, available here:

http://www.canonrumors.com/eosr/canon_eos_r_white_paper.pdf

Some links to the document on a Canon site, given in various articles, are not usable owing to permissions issues.

Doug,

One can’t ask DPReview for permission and they usually grant it. For Canon, no need to ask!

This body is interesting. Will Thompson pointed out to me that the body looks very much like the Sony A7 series and not like a Pro model. In support of that, there is only one SD card slot and no built in flash like the 7D, so this appears to be their “upgrade for the Canon Eos 6D series.

Since there was a rumor for two full frame cameras to be released, likely a more solidly built Pro model is due.

Asher

Doug Kerr

Hi, Asher,

Since there was a rumor for two full frame cameras to be released, likely a more solidly built Pro model is due.

There will certainly be more bodies in the series, and we certainly expect a second one soon. And it will very possibly have properties that more nearly qualify it (differently in the minds of different people) as "professional".

I'm not sure that a "more solid build" is what we should be watching for. The EOS R has an all-metal body shell. But I guess it could be thicker.

Best regards,

Doug

Asher Kelman

Hi, Asher,

There will certainly be more bodies in the series, and we certainly expect a second one soon. And it will very possibly have properties that more nearly qualify it (differently in the minds of different people) as "professional".

I'm not sure that a "more solid build" is what we should be watching for. The EOS R has an all-metal body shell. But I guess it could be thicker.

Best regards,

Doug

Pro sports is used to being done with a camera with enough heft and leverage to balance long lenses. Having a diminutive, almost pocketable lightweight camera might not go down well!

Asher

Doug Herr

Pro sports is used to being done with a camera with enough heft and leverage to balance long lenses. Having a diminutive, almost pocketable lightweight camera might not go down well!

Asher

Sony's new FE-mount 400mm f/2.8 solves this problem with an optical design that moves some of the elements from a forward position in the barrel closer to the center, not only improving the balance but also reducing weight since these glass elements are smaller in the center than they'd be if they were closer to the entrance pupil. The MTF plots suggest that performance doesn't suffer.

Asher Kelman

Sony's new FE-mount 400mm f/2.8 solves this problem with an optical design that moves some of the elements from a forward position in the barrel closer to the center, not only improving the balance but also reducing weight since these glass elements are smaller in the center than they'd be if they were closer to the entrance pupil. The MTF plots suggest that performance doesn't suffer.

Brilliant idea, Doug! Have you tried it?

Asher

Doug Kerr

Hi, Asher,

One can’t ask DPReview for permission and they usually grant it. For Canon, no need to ask!

I was speaking of permissions in the technical sense: the ability to access a certain directory or not over the Internet.

Best regards,

Doug