• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

This Soul

Charlotte Thompson

Candids with a friend of mine at Thanksgiving- I am not sure if these work as far as being in good focus- but the light was poor even with my flash- He is such a happy soul and the conversation with family and other friends were enchanting-I wanted to capture all the fine spirits around in this together for thanks-new darker skin tones are a new challenge for me as well-

DSC_1183-2.jpg

DSC_1184.jpg

DSC_1186-1.jpg

Doug Earle

Charlotte:
Excellent portraiture. This would make a delightful triptych. I love the DOF, and the grain, and think the lighting really works.

John Angulat

pro member
I agree with Doug...

I really like the graininess. Was this an after-effect or did you shoot with a very high ISO?

Regardless, it works. Well done!

Doug Earle

I just revisited this series for another look after my first comments. It is interesting how the graininess increases with each successive photo......in the first it's a hint in the background, in the second more pronounced in the background and in the sweater, in the third more still in backgroung, sweater, and face. And the increased grain works with the facial expressions.

I'd be interested to see if there could be a more constant adjustment of exposure to keep the sweater the same tone as in the first.......perhaps some photoshop guru could do it.

But, I will give this my best ranking in any event: "this is a photo I wish I'D taken."

Charlotte Thompson

Doug
I was using a d70 which I am totally almost unfamiliar with-it is way faster than my d40
so when I did the shots I had to use ps in order to see the capture (bring more light into them) then changed to bandw and left the grain which was by accident- I did like it- and still do-
"The best laid plans of Mice and Men eh? it seems of late I have been shooting those triptychs
thank you for the "sublime compliments" I was really expecting much less-

John
thank you-but as I told Doug- an accident after effect-using a d70 which for me is like
mach 3 with my hair on fire-

John Angulat

pro member
Hi Charlotte,
In any case, accident or otherwise I think they turned out well.
Mach 3 with your hair on fire??? I think you need to slow down! Photoshop can't bring back singed hair!

Charlotte Thompson

John
LOL no it can't- but there are wigs and I'm sure I will use that d70 again maybe Christmas-
I still think my d40 is a better camera but I have a need to master that speed!