• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Grab Portraits Challenge: Fast Grab- Portaits: No lights, no reflectors.

Jerome Marot

That's a great caution, Jerome; well said! There's studio lights and then there's available light. I prefer the latter!

I don't think it is a question on how the lights are created. One can certainly created saturated highlights and blocked shadows with studio lights or use soft available light.

Jim Galli

I have to agree also that this is a perfect blend of technology, technique and available components. Lots of things could make a different picture. Color. A new desk. A better looking model. That last is un-arguable.

Ultimately the 24MP Canon could make a picture that looks just as sharp at 16X20. This is how the picture would have been made in 1920. Is there any charm in that? That's what folks will have to decide. What would have been lost in a color HDR picture here. We should set it up again sometime in the future and do exactly that. Perfect color tones over a 3 1/2 stop scale. No light coming through the window, just the window with it's pane visible. No brackish shadows, anywhere. Then hang both side by side and have a look.

In 1920, in a perfect world, the wise photographer would have placed the window at the side out of the frame, and perhaps put a sheet up to diffuse the light, then worked with the model for a very fine portrait. That wasn't possible in these constraints. The desk and the window are where they're at and cannot be moved. There's little room to move anywhere except exactly where Asher was at. That's why if you look at my shot of the same thing, the camera is slightly higher and the elements cropped to a very tight vertical, but the tripod legs were pretty much in the same place. That's all that's available. So like a good 1920 photographer, you solve the problems as best you possibly can with your equipment available and take the picture.

Photography is about light. Something is lost when light is constrained to 3 stops. What's lost is the feeling of LIGHT! I LOVE the flare in the details of the desk cubby holes. It just tells my brain light.

I think we've forgotten that photo-graphy literally means light-painting.

WarehouseDeskNChairS.jpg

warehouse desk & chair

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Photography is about light. Something is lost when light is constrained to 3 stops. What's lost is the feeling of LIGHT! I LOVE the flare in the details of the desk cubby holes. It just tells my brain light.

I think we've forgotten that photo-graphy literally means light-painting.

WarehouseDeskNChairS.jpg

warehouse desk & chair

This, Jim, is going to be a reply that I'll return to! It's a reminder of the medium we work with, light. That given by heaven put's us to the test, but can deliver the best!

Asher

Asher Kelman

Some shots from a school visit in Wuhan, China and one from a Yangtze Cruise.

DSC_4029.jpg

Graeme McKellar : Happy Life

Yes, indeed, Graeme, he looks like a corporate giant at a company picnic! This is one happy confident & well-adjusted fellow!

DSC_4022.jpg

Graeme McKellar : Flower Girl

DSC_4023.jpg

Graeme McKellar : Wuhan Schoolgirl

DSC_4236.jpg

Graeme McKellar : Yangtze Cowgirl

These are delightful, Graeme! Amazing how clothing is so Western and that these could very well have been taken at an American baseball game or carnival. Except, maybe, now that I think of it, the girls are just a tad more shy!

Asher

James Cook

James,

Such character and feeling! I hope you gave copies. That's something I need to do more of!

Asher

I went to Wounded Knee many times over a period of years. The poverty was incredible.

I made it a point to always return with a fistful of prints, which led to a comment I've always remembered. Ruth Black Bear told me that many people have come and taken pictures. I was the only one that brought pictures.

It was at that point that I realized how few of them had photos of themselves since they couldn't afford cameras or film or processing.

Asher Kelman

I went to Wounded Knee many times over a period of years. The poverty was incredible.

I made it a point to always return with a fistful of prints, which led to a comment I've always remembered. Ruth Black Bear told me that many people have come and taken pictures. I was the only one that brought pictures.

It was at that point that I realized how few of them had photos of themselves since they couldn't afford cameras or film or processing.

James,

You're a good man! We should follow your example.

Asher

Asher Kelman

The Art in The Park show each year in along Santa Monica Boulevard is a great place to find wonderful subjects for photography. I'll put together a series shortly, but for now, here's a picture of a boy who had been climbing in the trees!

_MG_3614_600 B&W boy in tree Art in Park.jpg

Asher Kelman: Boy in Tree

Canon 5DII 50mm 1.4 at f4.0, 1/200 exposure +0.7 EV

I feel so privileged that his mother gave her approval. I must send them the pictures!

Asher

fahim mohammed

Asher, a charming capture. I wonder if it is the same tree you have shown before; since I commented then what a wonderful tree for children!

Re: the capture, it is softly done and you did well to keep the bg highlights in check ( pp ? ). The texture in that satin ( ? ) shirt is well managed. Are you sure this is a boy!!

Me I would have gone and let them blow out!

Asher Kelman

Asher, a charming capture. I wonder if it is the same tree you have shown before; since I commented then what a wonderful tree for children!

Re: the capture, it is softly done and you did well to keep the bg highlights in check ( pp ? ). The texture in that satin ( ? ) shirt is well managed. Are you sure this is a boy!!

Me I would have gone and let them blow out!

Yes, Fahim, the very same one!

I wondered that! But there was his mother! When I check with her, I'll get the name. I was a little perplexed. Maybe he's just a boy angel!

Asher

Asher Kelman

Well here's the 2cd generation set builder for the Good Man's Shack designed by Mason Cooley for the opera Crescent City. As I'm documenting the making of the opera, I'm taking advantage to also make some portraits of the denizens that do their creative magic to make it all happen.

_MG_0547.jpg

Asher Kelman: Master Set Builder

Canon 5DII 50 1.2 L at 1.4

Mark Hampton

Well here's the 2cd generation set builder for the Good Man's Shack designed by Mason Cooley for the opera Crescent City. As I'm documenting the making of the opera, I'm taking advantage to also make some portraits of the denizens that do their creative magic to make it all happen.

_MG_0547.jpg

Asher Kelman: Master Set Builder

Canon 5DII 50 1.2 L at 1.4

Asher, did you notice his pose mirrors the poster behind him to the left... I like this

Asher Kelman

Asher, did you notice his pose mirrors the poster behind him to the left... I like this

Only after I took the shot! Thanks for stopping by. This fellow is a genuine craftsman, one of the under sung and someone who would like Tom dinning, support the concept of the "artsy fartsy, although, being a professional artisan and earning his living devoted to the stage, he's not ever be that caustic, at least not beyond him and his crew.

Asher

Asher Kelman

The Generation Gap

Not a portrait, I know...​

_img900.jpg

Jarmo,

But really it is. Why not have a grandmother trying to rest beset with an adorable playful energetic grandchild. We show portraits of farmers on their land and craftsmen in their workshops, so why not here too?

Asher