• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

My World: A well-known lake in Bavaria

Michael Nagel

This lake is not that far away from Munich - a two-hour drive as long there is no traffic jam or flooding like two weeks ago. It is part of a natural reserve and worth a visit. Here are a few impressions.

Seen from a mountain nearby:

You have to pass next this island (the only one) when taking a boat.

This is the longer straight part of the lake. The lake is more than 190m deep. The valley was shaped by glaciers with a thickness of approx. 1000m.

The boats have electric motors - since 1909.

The chapel is well-known. The light was far from ideal and morning light would have been better, but as it was raining until early afternoon - at least one excuse to return :)

Best regards,
Michael

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
This lake is not that far away from Munich - a two-hour drive as long there is no traffic jam or flooding like two weeks ago. It is part of a natural reserve and worth a visit. Here are a few impressions.

Michael,

This is a delight. Are there lodgings there so one could hike around? I heard there's a hunting lodge up the mountain but that seems a schlepp to march 6km up to reach it.

Did you manage to photograph inside? I'd imagine there could be interesting frescos.

Was there any issue of it ever becoming a haven for right-wingers, as a way of remembering the 3rd Reich or were all the remnants of that time destroyed?

Asher

Michael Nagel

Asher,

Thanks. I have some views of the interior and I might upload some later.

Most of the mountains belong to a National Park, so there are few trails and mountain huts (hunting is pretty much restricted because of the law and the National Park on top).
The large majority of the trails require endurance and experience, but there are places that can be reached by cable car on the border of the National Park.
This is what you can see when you walk around on one of these places:

This one is not high, but requires some climbing skills:

You might have company when resting higher up:

This requires mountaineering skills:

Some prefer a different way:

Was there any issue of it ever becoming a haven for right-wingers, as a way of remembering the 3rd Reich or were all the remnants of that time destroyed?
Most of it was destroyed, this is the remaining building:

This Documentation Center puts all into perspective. There are surely some right wingers traveling there, but they were not much visible during my stay.

Best regards,
Michael

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Here are two views of the interior:

Best regards,
Michael

Michael,

This is well preserved and still shows it's masterful beauty in the celing and balcony plaster work. Lucky that no one tried to modernize it with new lighting, floor and pews!

I can imagine that given the harsh weather that this is costly to keep the outside so pristine. Also, how much of a local community is there to attend services these days?

Interesting that, apart from major work at the very end above the alter, small framed pictures and the decorations to the balconies there are no obvious murals/frescos of major saints or illustrations of the bible as I've seen in similar sized Churches in the mountains near St Moritz in Switzerland.

Seems like a different and much more sober tradition with no statues, sculptures, fountains or gilted art applied directly on to the plaster.

Asher