• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Posting rules?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stan Jirman

Usually I let my "common sense" guide me with posting. As such I don't post "Dear Chuck" since (1) I know it's frowned upon and (2) I have his email address :). But for instance in the Landscape forum I had no idea that there was a limit of one picture per thread, and that it had to be directly associated with a specific question "what to improve". I don't have any issues with that - I just had no clue. The closest other forum to this would be the FM Landscape forum, and there the rules are just about opposite (and more suiting to my needs in this particular instance).

Two people posted a "Dear Chuck Westfall" thread in the last 24 hours. One got slapped already and the 2nd will probably, soon. But I just spent some quality time looking for posting rules / etiquette, and could not find anything. Not saying that it's not there, but even to a person who was looking it wasn't obvious. Forget about the typical "I have a quick question/rant" person.

I think it wouldn't hurt if at the top of every forum was a bold link / sticky thread with posting rules for that particular forum, especially now when it's hard to "follow the format of other posters" since these are often in violation themselves.

Sid Jervis

pro member
I think the fact that the place is evolving is why these issue arise, but I think it needs fixing sooner rather than later.
I read the FAQ but only found the one image rule after reading the thread.
I agree that the bold link would help keep things on track.

Please remember this comes from someone who "missed" the full names rule.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I hate to think that anyone is slapped. That I have always hated!

We are, as you can imagine, still adding the piping and control systems to this new home. Somethings we worked hard on were not needed so much, others self-organized and some we have to modify.

We are actively reviewing the policy of posting images, where and how many.

Obviously, any group of comparative images for a technic in the RAW section needs to be there.

However, for ART and Printing, one image at a time is the rule.

The cafe is another place with perhaps different needs.

There are also people with great sensitivity to artistic materials.

Then there's my own controlling vision for unfettered access to professional art that would be found in Vogue or any major Art Museum.

Other sites have Draconian rules. We have certain very strict rules which are clearly spelled out, however, we intend to protect "Freedom of Speech" for clearly professional posts. That is an open forum: open by no cost, open by honesty and open by responsibility to the consequences of both censorship and abuse to our culture, our society and the very earth we walk on.

How to put all the interests together, not have the fora misused and to foster the best images are major challenges. However, it is not as hard as treating cancer, and we'll tackle it!

Even when we close this particular room June 7th, feedback on this and other issues can be made via the front page contact form and will be welcomed and responded to.

Asher

Michael Tapes

OPF Administrator/Moderator
As the "slapper" on the Chuck Westfall posts, I certainly meant it to be informative, not punitive. Did it come across badly?? If so my apologies...just a side effect of "discussion" by the written word..

Stan Jirman

No, it didn't come across badly; that's not what I meant. I meant that corrective action was needed for something a normal poster had no way of knowing. It seems that on every forum there's a sort of a secret handshake, and it would be good to make it very upfront instead.

Diane Fields

Michael Tapes said:
As the "slapper" on the Chuck Westfall posts, I certainly meant it to be informative, not punitive. Did it come across badly?? If so my apologies...just a side effect of "discussion" by the written word..

Sometimes communicating via the net (or any written communication) is difficult. The net makes it even harder because we are carrying on a conversation, more or less---and we all use body language, our hands--our eyes--to get across what we mean and that is all lost here. Then of course we have those that do not use English as their first language--maybe not even their second or third ---and still are so fluent in it that it makes my head spin. However---sometimes meanings still get a bit off kilter.

I have a very good Swiss friend that uses a word that seems really harsh for where I would use a quite less strong noun, but to him it translates perfectly LOL Gosh, even southern vs. northern in the US can be a challenge *smile* (coming from an ex Yank who is married to a southerner and has lived in the south for a long time---just ask me about my initial responses to "y'all come on home with us" as a parting phrase here in North Carolina LOL).

Michael--it didn't really come across badly to me----but it probably would be helpful for everyone to know what the expected behavior here is--particulatly for those that didn't migrate from the old RG forums.

Sid Jervis

pro member
Communication via text is always difficult, as we all know it is very easy to misunderstand or misrepresent a point of view. Please bear in mind life in the forum is also quite humorous, Michael your comment (As the "slapper" on the Chuck Westfall posts) is fine when viewed with US eyes, but from the UK, I doubt that you would want to use the term (a very loose woman) :)
Seriously, your comments did not shock my sensibilities; We all have a learning process to move through in this new forum, and I will certainly accept the short term adjustments that will have to be made, because I believe it will be worth the effort.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Rest assured, we'll be posting guidelines for a number of areas and rules for posting images.

We want an open experience. Humor too!

Languages shares similar words with sometimes disasterous consequences:

Taking my driving test on arrival at NY, I was asked to "drive straight on the pavement". I asked for reassurance that that was exctly what his intention was.

Since he repeated the instruction, albeit with lack of patience, I was rather taken back at his fury, as my car mounted the sidewalk!

Being from the U.K., I thought his lack of self control, from that moment on, was quite unbecoming!

So Michael, beware the "slap" word!

Asher

Last edited:

Nill Toulme

What's the reason for the one pic per post rule? And will it apply in Sports as well? I'd vote no on the latter.

While I'm here and in the Quick Reply box, how come you have to click on the Quick Reply button to activate the box, rather than clicking in the box itself?

And while I'm on the subject of Quick Reply, for some reason lots of times it isn't. Seems like half the time when I hit Post Quick Reply it just sits there. If I hit Go Advanced and then Send, it goes quick like a bunny.

Nill
~~
www.toulme.net

Sid Jervis

pro member
Asher Kelman said:
Languages shares similar words with sometimes disasterous consequences:

Taking my driving test on arrival at NY, I was asked to "drive staright on the pavement". I asked for reassurance that that was exctly what his intention was.

Since he repeated the instruction, albeit with lack of patience, I was rather taken back at his fury, as my car mounted the sidewalk!
Ok now I have to stop laughing before I post anymore......... I bet that made his day!

Hi Diane,
Diane Fields said:
Gosh, even southern vs. northern in the US can be a challenge *smile* (coming from an ex Yank who is married to a southerner and has lived in the south for a long time---just ask me about my initial responses to "y'all come on home with us" as a parting phrase here in North Carolina LOL)

Another off-topic digression, but as a Brooklyn born/raised yankee, now living in NC, I couldn't let that comment pass by. It took me quite a while to get used to that phrase after arrivng here!! I would love to hear your initial response!

I'm about 25 miles north of Charlotte, and am active in the local branch of the Carolina Nature Photographers Association, if you happen to be anywhere around here.

Sid Jervis

pro member
Don, as a "brit" currently in the USA "y'all come on home with us" is more of a mystery to me than I should really admit.
Maybe I should be asking for a translation section on the forum?

And we wonder why wires get crossed in conversation.

Diane Fields

Sid Jervis said:
Don, as a "brit" currently in the USA "y'all come on home with us" is more of a mystery to me than I should really admit.
Maybe I should be asking for a translation section on the forum?

And we wonder why wires get crossed in conversation.

Sid, I think it is very regionally specific--North Carolina--probably Piedmont (basically the central part of NC)/ foothills area. Its a mystery to me too, how it would have started. Its sort of a 'closing' remark as a person or group of persons leave. I went through a whole song and dance about not being able to go with them at that time (first time I heard it from neighbors in a very rural county in PIedmont NC) and my husband just thought it was hilarious--he's from NC LOL. I still have a hard time knowing how to answer after years here---and now living in the NC foothills. I think the best answer is no reply--as DAvid (my partner) says---it doesn't call for any discussion, its just a 'conversation closer'.

Yes--exactly why wires get crossed. The interesting thing---to go on a bit more---is that forums like this with international members, seem to have a spillover effect in some phrases. After years on forums where there have been a lot of Brit members, "horses for courses" has become part of my phraseology too (without even meaning to add it)---but I certainly was confused the first several times I read it--as well as some other words and phrases *smile*.

Probably best to stick to photographic terminology which translates pretty directly LOL.

Sid Jervis

pro member
It's a sad fact that we make generalisations, but in the UK like the USA there are so many dialects and other weird expressions, even locals get lost in translation.
A passing comment about forum folk (not insulting):
"Most blokes 'ere are diamond geezers, and loads of 'em are nutty as a fruit cake."
Cheers

Nill Toulme

I remember the parting phrase "y'all come" from my childhood visits to Anson County, NC (east of Charlotte) and maybe also to Gulfport, MS (not so sure about that though), as a short version of "y'all come on back now, hear?" (pronounced "heah"). I do not remember "y'all come on home with us." I wonder if it's (a) a very localized variation or (b) a weird/humorous evolution of the former.

Nill
~~
www.toulme.net

Diane Fields

Nill Toulme said:
I remember the parting phrase "y'all come" from my childhood visits to Anson County, NC (east of Charlotte) and maybe also to Gulfport, MS (not so sure about that though), as a short version of "y'all come on back now, hear?" (pronounced "heah"). I do not remember "y'all come on home with us." I wonder if it's (a) a very localized variation or (b) a weird/humorous evolution of the former.

Nill
~~
www.toulme.net

I think its a 'tweak' (see, brought it around to photography terms LOL)--the 'come on home with me/us' is when they are visiting in YOUR home or with you---the 'come back, ya heah' is when you are visiting in THEIR home or with them--I think LOL.

I still hear it often here---north of Charlotte but in foothills (Catawba Co), but the first time I heard it was in a very rural NC county (Caswell) near the Virginia line (Piedmont area)--lived there 12 years and it was like going back in history--no red lights, no incorporated towns--need to get back over that way to shoot (part of my summer plan).

Larry Smith

"Y'all" stuff

Nill Toulme said:

Born in the South,...raised by and among Southern born family/friends -

We always thought it was a bit of a "Duh!" situation when Yanks had trouble with the obvious. :)

All-of-you >> you all >> Y'all (...captitalized, because it is being used as a collective proper name - Betty, Tom, Harold, Janet = "Y'all)

"Y'all c'mon back now, ya heah?" - i.e., a friendly invitation (usually a repeated and standing one): "All of you come back(again) to visit with us, now ( as in "Now pay attention to what I am saying!), do you hear me (as in "I really mean this, it is not just shallow courtesy.")?

"Y'all c'mon home with us.": All of you are invited to come over to OUR house, where we will show you hospitality similar to that which you have shown us here at yours." [...either at some mutually convenient time in the future or literally "right now". The listener is expected to determine which time frame is intended from situational context, or to ask for clarification if unsure. Example of "right now" - "Now that the football game(wedding/church service/etc.) is over, and we are leaving the stadium, why don't you ( why doesn't everyone) come over to our place for a visit?"]

Basically what is being established is that the speaker enjoys (and looks forward to additional/future) association with the listener(s).

"Southern hospitality", Y'all!

"Some slick", huh? (Northeastern U.S. compliment, ... i .e. "Cool!")

"Weird" only to the uncomprehending. ;-)

NYC often provides illustrative contrast.

Larry

Larry Smith

Sid Jervis said:
Larry, who is the "We" that you speak of ?

Er,...wouldn't they be myself and the "Southern born family/friends" mentioned in the immediately preceeding sentence?

Are you tryng to make my point? ;-)

Larry

Sid Jervis

pro member
Larry Smith said:
Er,...wouldn't they be myself and the "Southern born family/friends" mentioned in the immediately preceeding sentence?

Are you tryng to make my point? ;-)

Larry
As a "brit" the meaning passed me by; So to answer your question - no, I was just asking a question about your post.

Larry Smith

To clarify -

Sid Jervis said:
As a "brit" the meaning passed me by; So to answer your question - no, I was just asking a question about your post.

No intent to insult (see the winky-face) Sid,...didn't understand the reason for the question.

"Pat and I are going shopping. Then we will go to the library." In US English the assumption is that the "we" refers to the last-mentioned persons(plural). Using it to refer to other-than last-mentioned persons introduces ambiguity, and is incorrect. Such "other' persons should be re-identified for clarity.

I had no clue that usage is any different back at the Queen's place (the royal "we" being an entirely different matter).

Larry

Sid Jervis

pro member
OT, but I will stop now.

No insult taken. Yes I did see the ;-)

The Royal, "We are not amused" is not a common phrase in my vocabulary.

It was George Bernard Shaw who observed that "England and America are two countries divided by a common language", it is clear that his observation still holds true.

Some mildly interesting points - http://www.herneconsultants.com/two.htm
The good news is, I know what a Rutabaga is.

If you, or anyone "ever got to me" or left me feeling insulted, my action would be to send a PM or an email to let them know. I am happy to report I have a healthy indifference to most things, so I doubt it will ever happen :)

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.