• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

In Perspective, Planet: Is this the 21st Century Kontiki Project?

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
"Heyerdahl believed that people from South America could have settled Polynesia in pre-Columbian times, although most anthropologists now believe they did not.[1][2][3] His aim in mounting the Kon-Tiki expedition was to show, by using only the materials and technologies available to those people at the time, that there were no technical reasons to prevent them from having done so. Although the expedition carried some modern equipment, such as a radio, watches, charts, sextant, and metal knives, Heyerdahl argued they were incidental to the purpose of proving that the raft itself could make the journey." Wikipedia

Now, once again, private individuals are testing a theory that raw materials available locally could allow major seagoing missions, but unlike the fanciful theories of Heyerdahl, this project has the dream of transforming the lives of indigenous people in Bangledesh in our lifetime. today.

I was following a Facebook link of Nicolas Claris to discover the fascinating mention of his son, Romain, a talented and award-winning videographer, being in Bangladesh. It was for the filming of a project for Watever.org. Watever. "The association aims to assist the poor who live on the shores of oceans and rivers through the study and implementation of technical solutions to their economic, social and climatic conditions in all areas related to water."

blog%2Bcover.jpg

They're audaciously building a boat which will be driven by a unique and groundbreaking sail made of jute, native to Bangladesh! This is an amazing project that demands understanding of the technical engineering demands of sail making and the properties of this ancient natural fiber, jute. The idea of replacing carbon footprint-heavy fiberglass with locally grown jute brings the potential of reviving an ancient industry and changing the lives of thousands of people. This in a green-friendly way.

The beginnings of Gold Bengal:

"From Bangladesh to France, the small fishing boat Tara Tari, skippered by Corentin Chatelperron, had a scientific and human adventure than 14,000 km in 186 days. This experimental boat is the first to incorporate burlap into its construction. August 17, 2010, at the end of this expedition, Tara Tari has demonstrated that it is possible to make boats using composite fiber jute. This alternative to fiberglass has considerable ecological and economic benefits for the development of Bangladesh."​

Once a week, each monday, a new video is produced. Follow the progress of this team here. You can sign up for regular updates here.

Asher

Jerome Marot

They're audaciously building a boat which will be driven by a unique and groundbreaking sail made of jute, native to Bangladesh!

The English translation is not very clear, but the French site allows to understand that the project is about using jute fibres as replacement for glass fibres in the building of ship hulls, not sails. The composite material is, basically, jute fibres and resin instead of glass fibres and resin. Since the production of glass and glass fibres is energy intensive, jute has the potential to be cheaper.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
The English translation is not very clear, but the French site allows to understand that the project is about using jute fibres as replacement for glass fibres in the building of ship hulls, not sails. The composite material is, basically, jute fibres and resin instead of glass fibres and resin. Since the production of glass and glass fibres is energy intensive, jute has the potential to be cheaper.

Well, Jerome, I will have to spend more effort on the original French! It did seem like it was going to be the sails too, but thanks for the correction. I'm so impressed with the selfless motives of the team that is supporting this project. Still, the hull construction could be very important use for the fiber. I wonder what the resin is? Is that "been"-friendly too? I'd imagine they could make sails from the jute but I guess that's another project! Romain will have to tell us more.

Asher

fahim mohammed

Very interesting project. Wish them big success.

Jute and Bangladesh are intertwined. The history of that young country revolves around the politics of jute...it's biggest export.

Regards.

Jerome Marot

Well, Jerome, I will have to spend more effort on the original French! It did seem like it was going to be the sails too, but thanks for the correction. I'm so impressed with the selfless motives of the team that is supporting this project. Still, the hull construction could be very important use for the fiber. I wonder what the resin is? Is that "been"-friendly too? I'd imagine they could make sails from the jute but I guess that's another project! Romain will have to tell us more.

I don't think the resin is any more "friendly" with that technology. I don't know what the sails are made of, the site does not tell. There is a video with English subtitles showing the making of the boat here.

It seems that the jute is only used to replace the fiberglass in the hull. While it may seem little, and it does not solve the problems associated with resin solvents, etc... it is actually a huge progress from an engineering and environmental standpoint.

The real secret in the method is the factory which makes the jute fabrics they use. I would like to know more about that.