• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Copyright Infringement of my copyright notice!

Robert Edwards

Hi,

Weird one this. What do you do when someone infringes your copyright on your copyright notice? I Googled my disclaimer:

www.damsimple.com/legal.html

It clearly states:

"you must not: distribute the text, photographs or graphics to others without the express written permission of Robert Edwards; "mirror" or include this information on your own server or documents without permission"

Now my disclaimer is a hodge-podge from various sources, all used with permission. However this bloke decided to simply use it as is without permission:

www.christianwalsh.com/copyright.htm

I've emailed him and received no reply. Maybe I should inform one his clients who are a legal firm that their webmaster is a lax when it it comes to the law. If he'd only asked.

Don Lashier

IANAL but I believe copyright notices and license agreements, among other things, are not copyrightable. This is why everyone and their brother just copied IBM's software license back in the early days.

- DL

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
There's one pretty well know Adobe photographer that charges for a copy of his and sounds pretty threatening to those who do not heed!

Asher

Daniel Harrison

pro member
I don't think it will hurt your buisness, and It doesn't sound like writing copyright notices is your bread and butter, so I would not get to upset about it, Funny story though

Dierk Haasis

pro member
Don Lashier said:
IANAL but I believe copyright notices and license agreements, among other things, are not copyrightable.

Depends.

- If it is public domain - i.e. by having been used fre of licence for years and decades without a possible copyright holder claiming his rights - you can use it.
- If it is standard legalese without any creative input you may use it.
- If somebody comes up with his own text, which clearly shows creative input, you can copyright it.

For instance the relatively simple general terms of trade I put up for my galleries are falling under the third option - particularly if you compare them to the usual hard to read drivel copied through the eons.

Don Lashier

I believe my information was from the standard copyright reference for software developers years ago (before the internet) published by Nolo Press, but I can't find it right now to verify. In any case it's probably a grey area and could probably be interpreted either way (as Dierk points out) depending on how "creative" you are in the wording.

- DL