• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Hello from Cincinnati, OH

Louis Doench

Hi! I clicked over here from The Online Photographer and I love the discussions i've lurked past and the pictures i've seen.

I'm a stay at home Dad of a 2 year old (w/ another coming in June) and starving artist photographer. I use a beat up old D1x w/ my one beat up old 28-105 macro. I'm looking for a little creative kick in the butt, as watching a toddler has really cramped my wish to do more landscapes. It's a lot to ask to get a toddler up at 5 in the morning to drive out into the wilds of ohio and shoot old bridgees at sunrise ;).

Also, what browser is best for viewing this forum? My Firefox isn't recognizing any of the control buttons up there!

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
Welcome

I can't get me up at 5AM to go shoot landscapes in the cold so I can't imagine a toddler wanting to do that either (lol).

Welcome to OPF. Maybe some of the posts here will inspire you to get out more than you are with your camera. I know they are doing that for me. You mentioned your "old beat up" camera - that means it's well used - but it's not about gear at all. Feel free to share some of your work for us to see. We passed through Cincinnati last month (airport only) and the scenery from the air while landing was quite magnificient - not what I was expecting at all.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Great you are here Louis!

This is the right place for trying to get photography that works for you, although we have plenty of gearheads too!

Just wade in. If you give a url to your images or else send me some via yousendit.com or to via the front page contact form, I'll be happy to visit with your world!

Sorry about your Firefox issues. We might have to check into that to see if anyone else has problems too. You could start a new thread on the problem in Layback cafe.

I use Safari, being that I'm using a Mac, but Explorer is fine too.

What sort of artistiic photography do you do? I just visited two exhibits where photography was used at building elements for art.

Is that what you do, or is it artistic photography like landscapes, people etc.

In any case, we'd love to see your work and here at OPF there's a good chance that you might be helping someone else and on the way give your own self the required kick!

Again, welcome!

Pictures of 2 year olds are, by definition, fine art! Portraits go to that forum, fun in Layback Cafe!

Asher

Louis Doench

Thanx for the nice welcome. I found Explorer is working better than firefox.

"What sort of artistiic photography do you do?"
The poorly selling type... (rimshot plz...).
I've done a variety of lil coffeeshop shows. My trip to Ireland produced two shows of travel photo's. I've done two shows I call "Missing Pieces" in which i take pretty random scenes and cut them into large puzzle shaped pieces, meant to represent the lost puzzle piece you might find on the floor of your closet.

Here's one of my favorite Ireland shots, hosted over at photo.net.
I'm looking for a real hosting service , any advice?

1235262-lg.jpg

Your url for the image was cxorrected :) Asher

Last edited by a moderator:

Asher Kelman

I'm impressed!

I'd like to see more of the series in the Landscape - Travel

Thanks for sharing!

Asher

BTW, when you post images there, people may want to comment. So this will be easier if you supply come context in terms of a title, what the pics will be used for or whatever you feel might be interesting. It's also important to say you don't want critique if you feel that way!! :)

You'll find people here are helpful and easy going.

Louis Doench

Thanx

Thanx, that particular pic is from what was most likely the finest hour of shooting in my life so far.
The harbor is in the lovely lil town of Dingle on the west coast of Ireland. My wife (just girlfriend at the time) and I visited in 2003.

We were winding down a lovely October day when we came to the harbor and the sun began to set. I had no tripod on me, but iso 400 seemed to work ok. I had just bought my D1x and was still shooting JPG's, but I was still able to make a nice 11x14 print, which is now hanging just above my left shoulder. (oddly enough, its been awhile since I revisited these images. My print is not quite as saturated, a lil softer)

I'll post a few from this set in landscapes in a bit
right now I hafta stop the toddler from feeding cheerios to the DVD player

;)

Asher Kelman

Just as a thought, maybe reconsider your picture as B&W so that the colors do not perform their work as expected but rather contribute to enhance rich tonalities.

Asher

Also, what browser is best for viewing this forum? My Firefox isn't recognizing any of the control buttons up there!

Hi Louis,

I use the latest Firefox, 2.0.0.1, and have no issues. It might be worthwhile to upgrade if you do not have the latest. Otherwise, more thought is needed.

be welcome,

Sean