• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Football World Cup 2006: Today's Finale

Dierk Haasis

pro member
Nicolas, I have no idea how much you are interested in the WC but I want to wish your team all the best for tonight:

Do me - and Germany - a favour, beat them, get to be World Champion, kick them out!

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Thank you Dierk
unfortunately I have no connection to forward your wishes, after all, you should be closer to them than me!
But let's make a favor to all teams and players, when World Cup will be over, let's thank all of them for the fantastic hope and dreams they seem to bring to people.
On my own, I recognize that I like to look at a good match but does not understand that need of making so much noise down my window for all the night long when the French team wins...
If they do tonight I'll have a bad sleep!
Well, we're close to 8:00 PM here, let's have a look on the TV....
PS good match yesterday for Germany !

Anita Saunders

Match over, and Italy wins. Good on them, they deserve it.

I'm gutted though, as Zidane was my only football interest (yes I'm afraid I'm a woman), and what an embarrasing exit he made considering he is retiring. Everyone will remember his bad behaviour instead of what a good footballer he was. :(

Rob.Martin

Zidane & Stupidity

This is not uncommon, for someone on their way out, who really isn;t thinking straight to do something stupid. Too bad for him, as you say. But at least he's remembered.. hehe
Rob

LittleG. said:
Match over, and Italy wins. Good on them, they deserve it.

I'm gutted though, as Zidane was my only football interest (yes I'm afraid I'm a woman), and what an embarrasing exit he made considering he is retiring. Everyone will remember his bad behaviour instead of what a good footballer he was. :(

nicolas claris

Lot of people talked about him as a god.
Everyone has seen the Italian guy saying something in his back, we can imagine which insult (racism, his mother...).
Zidane did react.
He's a man.
I prefer that.

LittleG don't cry, better (easier) love a man than a god!

Dierk Haasis

pro member
Considering I've been watching football for the first time in 32 years - strange how my last interset was another WC in Germany - this year was a minor let-down. Yes, spirits where high and everything surrounding the sport itself was more than just nice. But playing? Wow, how many teams played the same boring system of standing 11 players high in front of their own goal. Very few showed what football is about: shooting goals, playing fast forward.

Surely Italy isn't a bad team, France's wasn't probably the best in the tournament (as wasn't Italy) but yesterday they were much more enjoyable than Italy. "Strategic playing" may be effective, especially if you have got a superb goalie like Italy, but it's boooooooooooooring.

It is sad that Zizou went the way he went, as a pro with lots of experience he shouldn't have gone for Matterazzi [?] that openly in the last minutes of the match. At least it wasn't his fault France lost out, more a problem of too little too late by the trainer. And this goal keeper, Barthez, ... is the substitute worse or why didn't he play?

Patriotism, in general and in sports, is something people who know me won't expect from me, I see myself as a word citizen; and I usually applaud the better [not necessarily the most economic] team. Still, I am surely not the only one finding Saturday's match much more interesting, both temas really played. Only France did so in the final - and they should have won.*

*There's a catch, Italy now is the second most successful team behind Brazil (put in second place and Germany should still be a little better). Another catch: Now, Germany can say, "we only lost to the best team in the world ...".

Stan Jirman

As much as I don't care for soccer / football (or most other sports, for that matter), I wholeheartedly agree with you, Dierk. France played the far better game and I was disappointed that it went to penalties; Zizou should have scored that shot in overtime, and it would have been all good. Alas, as a friend put it, then the French would have been unbearable :)

It seemed to me (from the little bit of watching at work) that this year there was too much strategy and too little risk taking by pretty much all the teams. It was probably more of a "team" sport than when Team Maradonna buried everyone, but as you say, boooooring.

Dierk Haasis

pro member
Stan Jirman said:
[...] there was too much strategy and too little risk taking by pretty much all the teams.

Well, at least one team showed how football teams can be teams, good tactitians and play beautiful football going forth. Look at Brazil, lots of brilliant individual players [OK, this year they weren't that brilliant] but no team.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I watched the Germany v. Italy game in Munich in an Italian Pizza-German beer restaurant.

I was impressed by the great enthusiasm of the German audience and the goodwill to the Italians. At the end of the match when the Italians won in a surprise in overtime after a match of zero scores, the Italian owners brought out a ginoromous bottle of champagne, a Magnum, and the stuff flowed to everyone!

Apart from a small scuffle accross the street between several teens with opposing colors (which the police diffused in 20 seconds), everyone was so friendly and generous to the Italians.

Later, in the Munich subway, celebrating Italians kids were surounded by flag waving Germans painted in the German colors, and there was zero hostility, just fun and clowning.

Football has become a means of people expressinng their progress in respecting each other.

We're not there yet, but at least I see a great improvement in the behavior of young Europeans and this is a delight!

Asher

Jeff Donovan

Nicholas,

He is a man, but he's also a professional athlete playing in one of the most important games of his career and he is the captain of his team.

The Italian accomplished exactly what he set out to do. He got France's best player kicked out of the game. Zidane should be ashamed for giving him the satisfaction of succeeding.

Dierk Haasis

pro member
Jeff Donovan said:
Zidane should be ashamed for giving him the satisfaction of succeeding.

He obviously was [my interpretation of his body language when he left and did not come back] and is. He did apologise to the viewers and his team this week. I find his explanation of what happens much more believable than Materazzi's; while Zizou wouldn't lose anything admitting to an overreaction to a minor insult, Materazzi and Italy may lose the championship if M really did use the strong insults reported.

It is unfortunate enough that many top teams (Italy included) win on a strategic, defensive game. To use insults to get others banned adds nothing to the game, just shows that too much money and chess is involved. As Asher reports, the fans all over Germany were nice, friendly, generous and had fun even in seeing their own team lose. Would have been nice if the players had had the same countenance.

Let's make fun of it (note that I did not do the spoofs, only gathered them together). See how the Germans, the Italians, the French, the US Americans and people in Hongkong saw it - and what really happened!

nicolas claris

2 days ago Zidane did apologize in TV show to "all children and all educators in the world" and that his behavior was bad.
He also explained that the Italian did tell him some things about the honor of his mother and sister that he couldn't during a TV show.
He apologized again and said that the problem is that his reaction has been "punished" but not the action that created his reaction.
It was a question of honor for him,he said "I apologize, but no, I couldn't accept the wording and no I do n ot regret".

Sorry for being "politically incorrect", but I fully agree.
This is also not a bad thing to show to all the peopleS of the world that there are some things that cannot be accepted and that need reaction, but this become on another level which IMHO is OT...

StuartRae

At least Zidane's action was honest, if ill-advised. Unlike some other behaviour which involved cheating and unsporting behaviour.

Mentioning no names or nationalities, but players rushing towards the referee waving imaginery cards; players applauding the referee when he dismiised an oppoment; and a leading striker falling to the ground clutching his face when the replay showed he had not been touched.

These are the actions for which we should apologise to our children.

Stuart

Asher Kelman

StuartRae said:
At least Zidane's action was honest, if ill-advised. Unlike some other behaviour which involved cheating and unsporting behaviour.

Mentioning no names or nationalities, but players rushing towards the referee waving imaginery cards; players applauding the referee when he dismiised an oppoment; and a leading striker falling to the ground clutching his face when the replay showed he had not been touched.

These are the actions for which we should apologise to our children.

Stuart

What I thought was really funny was the repeated comic behavior of certain Italian players when they had contact with a German player and went to the ground rolling with agony. Then when no yellow card was issued, they dusted off and cheerfully went back to play as if nothing had happened!

I heard an interview with the Spanish archirtect of the football games. He admitted that part of the game of winning is the theatrics, he had a name for it, which is part of the bargaining with the refereee.

The idea it seems is to go for every edge feasable.

Asher

StuartRae

What I thought was really funny

As with so many things in life, laughter is the best answer to such antics.

Otherwise we might all explode with rage and righteous indignation while sitting in our armchairs.

Asher Kelman

Nicolas Claris said:
2 days ago Zidane did apologize in TV show to "all children and all educators in the world" and that his behavior was bad.
He also explained that the Italian did tell him some things about the honor of his mother and sister that he couldn't during a TV show.
He apologized again and said that the problem is that his reaction has been "punished" but not the action that created his reaction.
It was a question of honor for him,he said "I apologize, but no, I couldn't accept the wording and no I do n ot regret".

Sorry for being "politically incorrect", but I fully agree.
This is also not a bad thing to show to all the peopleS of the world that there are some things that cannot be accepted and that need reaction, but this become on another level which IMHO is OT...

I felt that it was not at all surprising that someone reacted like that!

Sometimes one feels one has to do what is "right" and accept the natural consequences of doing so.

I feel that the trigger was probably the last of a series designed to make the French player too angry to play as well as he does normally at the least and if possible to get him red-carded. The Italian won but in the end, perhaps not!

Asher

Jeff Donovan

Zidane

I actually found what he did one of the dumber things I've seen an athlete do.

You're in the biggest game of your career, the last professional game you will ever play, and you let yourself get ejected because some Italian makes fun of your mother?

At some point you have to put the self aside and do what is best for your team. Zidane was unable to do that.

I'm waiting for the NFL as well, though I'll be in Japan for most of the season. Don't know how many games I'm going to get to see.

Asher Kelman

Another point of View!

Jeff Donovan said:
I actually found what he did one of the dumber things I've seen an athlete do.

You're in the biggest game of your career, the last professional game you will ever play, and you let yourself get ejected because some Italian makes fun of your mother?

At some point you have to put the self aside and do what is best for your team. Zidane was unable to do that.

I'm waiting for the NFL as well, though I'll be in Japan for most of the season. Don't know how many games I'm going to get to see.

Jeff,

The easiest thing for the player to accept the glory, button up the anger, as many insulted people have to do, and go out in glory with a future of lucritive endorsements.

He rises up against insults and rebels, throwing money, rank and social acceptance to the winds to confront allegedly racist remarks.

I'm not saying he is right. However, I do believe his gut instincts did more for him than money.

Asher

Gary Ayala

Asher Kelman said:
Jeff,

The easiest thing for the player to accept the glory, button up the anger, as many insulted people have to do, and go out in glory with a future of lucritive endorsements.

He rises up against insults and rebels, throwing money, rank and social acceptance to the winds to confront allegedly racist remarks.

I'm not saying he is right. However, I do believe his gut instincts did more for him than money.

Asher

What happened to Zidane is the oldest trick in the book. And sadly enough he fell for it.

After participating in organized sports through college and beyond ... gotta tell you that hearing insults from the other team is normal (to the point of boredom). The other opposing teams, from high school level and up is attacking you mentally and physically.

Being on the sidelines at professional venues one hears the repartee and sees the consequences (an elbow in basketball, inside pitch in baseball, the late hit football) at nearly every game.

Lou Brock speaks of being "mentally tough" being as important as "physically tough".

Unfortunately, in the biggest match in the biggest arena that Zidane has played ... he fell for the dumbest, oldest trick ... a verbal insult

He let his team down, his country down and worst of all ... himself. There are some dumb things you do in life that you would do again in similar circumstances to make a point ... Zidane's action was so stupid that dollars to doughnuts, if he had those ten seconds again he'd just keep on walking. This time the path would lead to glory not humiliation. Zidane's head butting had nothing to to do with pride or rising up to confront racist remarks ... at that very moment of confrontation ... he was nothing more than a dumbass.

As for the wait ... college football is my calling ... not as smooth as the NFL ... but played with a lot more heart.

Ray West

interesting, comparing this thread to the mel gibson one....

What surprises me is that two footballers (a breed not noted for intellectual powers), were capable of
conversing when from countries with different languages.

Best wishes,

Ray

Asher Kelman

On the good side, the games have given pleasure to millions of people worldwide, some fans only for the past months!

The friendly way fans from Italy were treated in Germany and the way the games were hosted has shown the country to be ready for the 21st Century. I am so impressed and I can't say how much joy there is seening so many thousands of people cheering, yelling, being enthusiastic and displaying with a joy not arrogant their respective flags. We've come a long way.

At least it shows what people can do with the right upbringing and circumstances!

Asher

Asher Kelman

Harvey Moore said:
Asher,

What does this mean ?

harvey
Harvey,

It means we have made great progress in our civilization.

Flags sometimes have represented the sheer awesome power of authoritarian states. People blindlly saluting them, sometimes for fascistic regimes which devalued life.

Today I'm sure, that the young Germans, French and Italians waving flags have good will, friendship and a sense of optimism on their minds.

This, (more than architecture, The Louvre, The Tate, Towers, Castles, broad boulevards, magnificent rivers and stunning landscapes,) was the most enjoyable part of my visit to Europe.

Of course, respect for a nation's flag means a lot and is understandable. However, the young people have embraced their national symbols and so taken flag waving away from the marketing symbolism of extreme right wing elements.

Asher

Last edited: