• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Blossoming Sakura and Snowy Mountains

We're getting another unusually cold winter here in SoCal. Yet some of the locals cannot accustom to the changes so quickly and persist in their routines. Men wear shorts and T-shirts and some cherry bushes are blossoming.

I saw this picture in my rear view mirror and I was so attracted to it that I simply had to get my gear and come back for a few shots...

1: IMG_6177:

250125821-XXL.jpg

2: IMG_6181:

250125907-XL.jpg

3: IMG_6182:

250126009-XL.jpg

More here: http://nik.smugmug.com/gallery/4270945

Technicalities:
Canon 40D, EF 100-400 IS USM, EF 70-200/2.8 IS USM.
The mountains are Upper Ojaj area.

Enjoy!

Shane Carter

Well I have no experience in this kind of shooting but here are my comments. :) I like the second one best. Nice balance right and left and the background mountains seem more like part of the composition that in the other two. Exposure is great. I'm wondering what it would look like if you stopped down and put it all in focus. Did you try that too? What were you going for my using the shallow DOF? Thanks and great shooting!

Well I have no experience in this kind of shooting but here are my comments. :) I like the second one best. Nice balance right and left and the background mountains seem more like part of the composition that in the other two. Exposure is great. I'm wondering what it would look like if you stopped down and put it all in focus. Did you try that too? What were you going for my using the shallow DOF? Thanks and great shooting!
Shane,
thank you for your comments!
For some reason I totally didn't feel like stopping down. I only wanted to have enough DOF that it would be clear it's the mountains and not the clouds, otherwise I wanted to focus exclusively on the flowers.

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
Snow...

Well, just home from a concert in Hollywierd and it's 42 (F) - get your California Snow while it lasts. Only 6 more weeks of winter with snow predicted tomorrow.

Nik - I like the symbolism. You are good at that in your images.

...I'm wondering what it would look like if you stopped down and put it all in focus. Did you try that too? ...
Since you've asked... :)
I got a few extra minutes this morning and decided to take another shot from the same point. Sun was still fairly low and right behind my back, which created a different mood.
Here's a few shots with a greater DOF.

1: IMG_6198:

251380845-XL.jpg

2: IMG_6199:

251380989-XL.jpg

The rest is still here: http://nik.smugmug.com/gallery/4270945