• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

This is what I did today...

janet Smith

pro member
IMG_0015ss.jpg

So nice to have some colour back in the garden!!! Both 5D 100mm 2.8 macro lens, daffodils f9 1/125

IMG_0032ss001.jpg

Gerbera f13 1/13

It's been a beautiful sunny, unusually warm day here today about 14C, very unusual for February, which inspired me to get out and photograph the first daffodils open in my garden. The Gerbera was in some flowers I was kindly given today. Made a nice change to do some flower photography today, a welcome break from processing all the snowy landscpaes I'm still wading through from Glencoe, brightened my day up, I hope they do yours.....

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Janet,

Very different from your landscapes in Scotland, for sure!

I'm rushing out, so a quick question. What's with the hyper-saturated hard edged petal in the upper right?

Can you look at how you have sharpened and maybe selectively diminish the power of this yellow ribbon as IMHO it detract from the main subject?

Or do you want it there?

Asher

janet Smith

pro member
. What's with the hyper-saturated hard edged petal in the upper right?

Can you look at how you have sharpened and maybe selectively diminish the power of this yellow ribbon as IMHO it detract from the main subject?

Hi Asher

The daffodil in question has a stronger coloured "trumpet" which I think is the section you are mentioning, now you've pointed it out to me I see what you mean, I'll take another look at this.

Please feel free to edit and repost if you'd like to.....

Shane Carter

I like them! Only nit, would be nice to have a little more DOF on the first one. Just enough to get all the leading flower in focus and blur the rest. Great colors, wow!

janet Smith

pro member
I like them! Only nit, would be nice to have a little more DOF on the first one. Just enough to get all the leading flower in focus and blur the rest. Great colors, wow!

Hi Shane

Thank you, I think I was carried away with the beautiful day yesterday, it's been so grey here, in fact it is again today, foggy, grey damp & frosty! So here's another shot of colour......

IMG_0004clean.jpg

I took loads yesterday, spent ages laid on the grass getting muddy, but really enjoyed myself!

Shane Carter

I like this second daffodil more, well done!

This flower holds a special place in my memories...my grandfather loved these and we had them everywhere for his funeral...a really, really good man. Thanks for sharing. :)

janet Smith

pro member
You have somehow captured the light and the crispness, the image conveys a very vivid atmosphere to me

Hi David

Music to my ears, thank you, I try so hard to capture the light, I dash out into the garden as soon as a nice bit of light happens, everything else has to stop.....

Yes my absolute favourite lens is the 100mm f2.8 macro lens, it tends to live on my camera unless I'm in Scotland.

Here's another couple taken recently same 5D + 100mm, hope you like them....

IMG_0013ss.jpg

IMG_0007ssA001.jpg

StuartRae

Hi Jan,

Beautiful images, especially the second daffodil.

For me, the first signs of Spring are the little yellow celandines that appear early to mid February, but that's probably because they're the only flowers that seem to grow in my garden :) In fact I was out there this morning taking advantage of the sunshine and shooting a few of them.

Regards,

Stuart

janet Smith

pro member
For me, the first signs of Spring are the little yellow celandines that appear early to mid February.... In fact I was out there this morning taking advantage of the sunshine and shooting a few of them

Hi Stuart

Thank you for the nice comments, it's lovely to see the snowdrops and first flowers coming through isn't it, I love Celandines so delicate, could you show us some of your photographs?

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi Guys,

The pictures speak for themselves. Beauty is evident in one glance. however, there's more. you do that in your photograph.

Framing this in a milieu adds a lot more still. Could you provide the plant genus and species if you can find it easily so one can search for the picture. Just an idea for the future. What do you think of that? Not always but when it seems right.

This is especially important with wild or rare flowers or even lesser know blooms; a case in point, the gentle inverted white flower above. Then, perhaps one might consider adding rarity, growth habitat, pollination, herbs or other interesting tidbits, so that it is not merely a pretty flower or even a great photograph.

Some species only appear after a fire, other depend on pollinators that may not arrive at the right season because of climate shifts.

It's good to get to know what we are photographing! Just some things to consider. You decide.

Asher

janet Smith

pro member
This is especially important with wild or rare flowers or even lesser know blooms; a case in point, the gentle inverted white flower above. .....It's good to get to know what we are photographing! Just some things to consider. You decide.Asher

Hi Asher

How remiss of me, of course they don't grow everywhere! The small white flowers are Snowdrops - Galanthus Nivalis, amongst the first flowers here in the UK appearing in January/February sometimes peeping out through snow, often they grow in shade at the base of trees or can occur on river banks in the Yorkshire Dales. I love them they are about 12cm tall from base to tip, delicate, only around for a few weeks.

The pink flower is a Gerbera, this one was given to me in a bouquet and would not grow in my garden at this time of year, in fact I don't think it would ever grow outside here.

Good idea about giving more information Asher, I will when I can, but I must confess I don't always know full species information...

StuartRae

Hi Jan,

I love Celandines so delicate, could you show us some of your photographs?

Here are a few from yesterday. Not as beautiful as your daffs, but still a hope for Spring. Most of the flowers were still closed or semi-closed after a sharp overnight frost, and those that were open were a bit past their best.

All with 350D and EF-S 60mm f/2.8 macro, tripod and MLU.

This one has just about had it, and has started to lose the surface of the petals and show the pale green underside. The white patches are places where the pigment has been entirely lost.
f5.6, 1/500 sec, ISO 200.

IMG_1421-01.jpg

This one's in better nick, and was just beginning to open.
f5.6, 1/125, ISO 200

IMG_1428-01.jpg

And this one's fully open but just beginning to fade in a few places.
f5.6, 1/80, ISO 200

IMG_1431-01.jpg

And finally, for Asher, here's a link to its habits.

Regards,

Stuart

janet Smith

pro member
Hi Stuart

Gorgeous, they have to be difficult to photograph, they're so tiny and flat to the ground, you've done well to get the separation from their background, I'm glad you posted these, they're just about my favourite flower so unpretentious and a welcome shot of colour in the midst of all the grey, lovely.....

StuartRae

Hi Jan,

Gorgeous, they have to be difficult to photograph........

Pleased you liked them. Yes, they are a bit difficult to photograph, not least because of the white marks on the petals which look like blown highlights. I would have liked to get a bit closer to them, but the tripod was as low as I could get it. I suppose this is where a 100mm has its advantages, although the 1.6 crop factor helps a bit. I tried shots at several apertures, and f5.6 was the best compromise between DOF and background.

they're just about my favourite flower.....

What I hadn't realised that they were also Wordworth's favourite flowers. I'll try to get a shot of the Celandine carved on his gravestone when I'm up there in April.

Regards,

Stuart

janet Smith

pro member
What I hadn't realised that they were also Wordworth's favourite flowers. I'll try to get a shot of the Celandine carved on his gravestone when I'm up there in April

I look forward to seeing it, I'll go in search of Celandine's myself in the next few days...