• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Challenge: Beautiful Cultural Milestones from Baptisms to Barmitzvas.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
We seem to talk about what is wrong with religious practices. However, there is beauty in the communities wrapping their arms around families in the big steps and stages in our lives. These are also times when people cross barriers and share the joy and the festivities of ceremonies.

There is a large spectrum of affiliation and belief. Here we want to show photographs of the beauty that decorates much of human cultural identity and values.

Asher

Doug Kerr

The consecration of the Episcopal Bishop of New Hampshire

Hi, Asher,

So, who is going to go first?

C'est moi.

My apologies for the delay in response, but we have been off-the-air for a couple of days owing to failure of our DSL modem.

I'm sorry to not have a piece of my own work to contribute, but I think this well fulfills the premises of your invitation.

Here we see a lovely scene from the consecration (in November, 2003) of V. Gene Robinson as Episcopal Bishop of New Hampshire.

consecration.jpg

Robinson wore a stole and chasuble specially designed and made for the occasion. It was reportedly accessorized by an innovation in consecration vestments, a bulletproof vest, intended to defend against any attempt to assassinate the Bishop, considered a distinct possibility in light of the controversy surrounding the event.

Robinson has been for some while openly in a homosexual partnership. His election as Bishop (by the Diocese of New Hampshire, clergy and lay alike, through its established system of democratic governance), and its subsequent ratification by the national Episcopal church (clergy and lay alike, through its established system of democratic governance) is deemed so outrageous by arch-conservative elements within the church that it has fomented potential schism of the Episcopal Church, and perhaps of the worldwide Anglican Communion of which it a part as well.

Oy vay is mir!

My apologies for the dimensions of the image and its possible effect on the formatting of the message text. I was of course unable to provide a downsized version of the image, as I do not have the rights to it, and have only linked to its site of publication.

Asher Kelman

Thanks so much Doug!

But where did the magnificent picture come from?

Also is there a total vanishing of rites of passage? Did they stop baptisms, bat mitzvas? Is everyone just living together? Is everybody here just photographing flowers?

Asher

Doug Kerr

Hi, Asher,

Thanks so much Doug!

But where did the magnificent picture come from?

Sorry, I forgot to give credit. It is from the Web site of the Episcopal Diocese of New Hampshire. They gave no credit to the photographer.

Best regards,

Doug

Mike Shimwell

Also is there a total vanishing of rites of passage? Did they stop baptisms, bat mitzvas? Is everyone just living together? Is everybody here just photographing flowers?

Asher

Asher, I think that there is a fall in the use of rites of passage - certainly here in the very secular UK. Whilst my religious views do not require anything in the way of ceremony, I see great human value in the rites that form a part of our (various) cultural identity(ies). Not so much a divisive thing as allowing people a place to call home - giving each of us our identity within our community.

Sadly, the most relevant area I get to photograph at present are weddings, many of which I fear have lost much of their significance as rights of passage within our culture, and have become instead a celebration of the participants' aggrandising self image. To whit, I shot a wedding where, as she approached the door to her married life, the bride was concerned about whether 'her' bay trees had been placed outside the doors of the function room... I know I shouldn't judge, but the perspective did seem a bit distorted to me.

Back to my first paragraph - it seems that in the UK we have many social issues that, at least in part, stem from the lack of any coherent cultural identity and value set. (perhaps you should moe this post to the 'copntroversial forum:))

Mike

Asher Kelman

Mike,

Humans go for ceremony and it's not so much that the concept vanishes rather that we replace one with another. In the '60s when conventions was turned on it's head, the new was decorative freely with flowers, new hairstyles and fabrics. These really to make the folks identify and identifiable in their new culture. Ceremonies were mass festivals, sit-ins and meditation in naked in tubs in the mountains. But they were ceremonial just the same. However it takes time and obsessional rule keepers to sustain customs and build in important motifs and details. There usually is some desire for exclusivity. There just wasn't enough pressure on the flower children to continue although they did contribute tolerant values to our society.

There are still thousand of flourishing cultural and ethic groups all over the planet that still follow tradition, even as people melt into the amalgam of modernity.

Graduation form high school or college is one such rite of passage!

Still, the other ceremonies can be really beautiful and supportive.

Asher

Mike Shimwell

Mike,

Humans go for ceremony and it's not so much that the concept vanishes rather that we replace one with another. In the '60s when conventions was turned on it's head, the new was decorative freely with flowers, new hairstyles and fabrics. These really to make the folks identify and identifiable in their new culture. Ceremonies were mass festivals, sit-ins and meditation in naked in tubs in the mountains. But they were ceremonial just the same. However it takes time and obsessional rule keepers to sustain customs and build in important motifs and details. There usually is some desire for exclusivity. There just wasn't enough pressure on the flower children to continue although they did contribute tolerant values to our society.

There are still thousand of flourishing cultural and ethic groups all over the planet that still follow tradition, even as people melt into the amalgam of modernity.

Graduation form high school or college is one such rite of passage!

Still, the other ceremonies can be really beautiful and supportive.

Asher

Asher

I agree with what you are saying. We invent endless ceremonies at all sorts of levels, whether to replace or to add to the existing:) I think your comment about the need for time to allow rites to become embedded in very true - most of our historical rites evolved over extended periods, although the level of obsessional rule keepers imposing compliance may have varied? Attempting to create new rites deliberately is not easy in today's fast moving (western, as opposed to the many other cultures which you rightly remember) culture and that too may be a reason that the flower children, by and large, haven't continued- though as you say they have left a legacy of tolerance.

My comments were particularly framed with respect to UK culture, where even graduation from high school is less celebrated (I believe) than in the US. Certainly, I cannot imagine 'wedding style' shots of attendees at UK school leaving parties.

Perhaps a part of the question that arises here is whether the rites that are in use are becoming more exclusive and separating generations or sections of society rather than binding them together? I don't feel confident to really answer that fully! But I do agree the rites are often beautiful and suportive.

Mike

Mike Shimwell

Hi Asher,

we just had a 'coming of age' rite last night:) Out oldest daughter lost her second front tooth - and then commenced negotiations on how much the tooth fairy should leave.. odd that I should think of this conversation!

Anyway a couple of pics - 5D, 50 1.4 at 2.8 iso 800, natural window light. The second is a bit soft, but I like it anyway. I hope you don't mind that they're not of an actual rite, but they certainly formed a part of the process for Hannah.

Mike

2566553221_12bd5d27e8_o.jpg

2566553351_33394e5a3f_o.jpg