• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

google -earth, etc.

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
First post:
crw_0346.jpg = Le Havre (at least the pilot boat!)
_mg_3256_3.jpg = Antwerpen (Belgium)
crw_0349.jpg = Le Havre (at least the pilot boat!)

Second post:
crw_0347.jpg = Le Havre (at least the pilot boat!)
mg_3465.jpg = Le Havre (France)
mg_3272.jpg = Hamburg?
mg_3256.jpg = Antwerpen (Belgium)
mg_3343.jpg = Brugges (Belgium) La Venise du Nord! - If not, then Amsterdam

Ray West

Pictures as below:-

First group, going down,

1) Pilot cutter, Le Havre
2) Fire boat, Rotterdam
3) Airbus factory? - Hamburg
4) Rotterdam
5) Rotterdam
6) The Swan, (local name for the Erasmus bridge) Rotterdam
7) Pilot cutter, Le Havre

second group, from left to right

1) Pilot cutter, Le Havre,
2) Le Havre - world heritage site
3) Copenhagen - little mermaid
4) Oslo
5) The Swan
6) The Swan (Did the architect of the telecom building to the left really come from Pisa?)
7) Rotterdam
8) the tour bus says it all...

I had gone into more detail, but we had a power cut, I have lost my beautifully composed, photo tour information pack, so if you want to know more, you'll have to try google. ;-(

Best wishes,

Ray

Mary Bull

For my own personal score, I judge 2 correct guesses out of 15 ain't bad, for an untraveled old lady.

I should have put View/Zoom in Opera up to 200, and then I would have had "Le Havre" in my sights on the cutter in the second group, and a score of 3 out of 15. <grin>

I'm giving myself credit for Copenhagen (The Little Mermaid), even though I had seen so many fine sculptures in images of Hamburg, that I was only sure on a scale of 1-10 at about 9.

And I was spot on about the Hamburg factory.

Off to Google "cruises."

Thanks a mil for the enjoyable mini-tour.

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Well
I got all "Le Havre" after all. That's make 4, a little better (but not that much) of the "old Lady" ;;-)
The tour bus of the last pic makes me sick! How can I have missed that!
On the right side of the Hotel there's a pannel with "entrée" written on it, I couldn't believe this could be written in French in another place of Belgium (well, south part of it!) and this was not looking like Switzerland to...
The other town, I don't know so don't feel that ashamed.

The lesson (good one!) is that we all should more carefully look at other's pics!
Thanks Ray

Ray West

Well, I'm glad you enjoyed them. Thanks for playing. I have plenty more, but I think it would be a bit unfair? to pose more questions.

I was surprised at the size and location of 'the little mermaid. All the images I have seen made it look entirely different than in reality, artistic licence I suppose. I also kind of feel sorry for Le Havre. The bit that has the W H site, looks the same as the buildings we've been smashing down over here, part of the post ww2 rehousing schemes that went wrong. Of course, I don't live there, but it does look a bit drab and well worn.
The photo of the Airbus factory (I think), on the Elbe at Hamburg, surprising how the 'almost uv' goal post lights up the water. I see Dierk has a similar night shot of a waterside location. Thinking about it, the photo I have is unique, I think it would be well nigh impossible to capture the same image, from the same location, before the goal posts are removed. That shot was handheld, too, like all of them, pure luck.

The New York Hotel, was, I believe one of the places that folk stayed when leaving Europe to settle in America, back in early 1900's. There were a number of similar buildings in Rotterdam.

Oh, one more snap. This one really worries me, and I'm not talking about the sensor dust..http://www.yertiz.com/images/zeebruge/

Best wishes, Ray

Mary Bull

Ray West said:
...I have plenty more, but I think it would be a bit unfair? to pose more questions.

Given the answering capabilities of this set of posting viewers, you may have the right take on it. However, speaking only for myself, I could and would enjoy looking at as many as you would have the time to show.

The photo of the Airbus factory (I think), on the Elbe at Hamburg, surprising how the 'almost uv' goal post lights up the water. I see Dierk has a similar night shot of a waterside location. Thinking about it, the photo I have is unique, I think it would be well nigh impossible to capture the same image, from the same location, before the goal posts are removed. That shot was handheld, too, like all of them, pure luck.

Perhaps you'll do something further with it?

If you had the time to visit Dierk's new gallery, there are quite a few more with that same uv effect. To me, all magically beautiful. (To save your searching, here's a link:
http://www.write4u.de/ --click on the image to see the rest of the Blue Goals gallery.)

The New York Hotel, was, I believe one of the places that folk stayed when leaving Europe to settle in America, back in early 1900's. There were a number of similar buildings in Rotterdam.

Extremely interesting info.

Oh, one more snap. This one really worries me, and I'm not talking about the sensor dust..http://www.yertiz.com/images/zeebruge/

It has a magical look--maybe fairy dust, as in Tinker Bell (Disney style)?

Best wishes always,
Mary

Ray West

3 more

I thought, bearing in mind a couple of other threads, that I could post three more. All straight/crooked from the camera, of course.

The first is a blurry piano player from Brooklyn who tells 'jokes?'
The second is a passageway.
the third is the backside of the 'Hotel New York', puts it in a different context cf the previous images of that building.

http://www.yertiz.com/images/three%20more/

Best wishes,

Ray

Mary Bull

I enjoyed all three immensely.
I *know* I should recognize that blurry piano player who tells jokes. But the name just won't surface.

Mary
<not much better at guessing games than at picture games! But gamely hanging in.>

Dierk Haasis

pro member
Mary Bull said:
http://www.write4u.de

Although this domain still works, may I point out that my official one is:
www.DH2Publishing.info.

And another point about Google Earth [and Maps with the right server]. Get yourself a logging GPS receiver, like Wintec's WBT-100, set it's auto-logging feature suitably, and take it with you on your photographic safari. When back, connect it to your computer, donwload th tracking data from the device, convert them to KMZ files and import them to Google Earth.

Even with a non-GPS-aware camera you can now easily locate your shots not just in time but place, too!

Mary Bull

i did know about the new address, Dierk, and I'm sorry that I didn't put it here instead of the old one.

It's just that when I bookmarked your home page, the old domain was in the Opera field for the website address, and I clicked on that bookmark to bring it up. I've been enjoying the beautiful Blue Goals panorama there, and enjoying the fact that you made it clickable to bring up the entire gallery.

So I did a quick copy-and-paste from the Opera web-address field and put it here.
Thanks for making the correction. I'll be more careful in the future.

Mary

Todd Frederick

Getting back to Google Earth, I now use it to locate wedding venues. A paper map is Ok, but Google Earth lets me see the landmarks I need to look for when hunting for the church!