• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

New editors, new noun

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Actually, Don, I do like DUM for the RAW image since that's what it is!

Great idea!

One ingests the DUM images and enters them into the DAM system and then it's just a matter of dimping them with a DIMP to store the final images in the DAM system and your done! Or, as the British say, "Bob's your uncle!"

Asher

Asher Kelman

Nikolai Sklobovsky said:
You meant: Digitally Uniformly Manipulated Binary, DUMB? ;-)
No Nikolai,

Don't think like that. Dum is spelled D U M, just like RUM is R U M

There is no B. Where did you find that aweful B?

No, Don got it right the first time. You see, we say DUM, but mean dumb file. This is a sort of finger to the so-called purists who would believe that what comes out of the camera is somehow real and what one does from then on is artificial.

So I like DUM, it is what it is and represents images right out of the camera, a sort of mish-mash of virtual celluloid garnished from the last 100 years.

It is not yet anything and could be something. It is now speechless. Tomorrow it will speak to us.

Don is a genius!!

I wish I had thought of it first!

Asher

Don Lashier

This is starting to sound like verb conjugation. Perhaps we ought to merge with the grammar thread.

I dim, you dam, he/she/it dum.

- DL

Mary Bull

This fine post welcome to the (so far) longest thread at OPF--as in, Move it on over!

Don Lashier said:
This is starting to sound like verb conjugation. Perhaps we ought to merge with the grammar thread.

I dim, you dam, he/she/it dum.

- DL
I be dim
you be dam
he/she/it be dum

Petr Kohout

Sorry for I am going to be little serious :).

I would like to thank to all who contributed in this very important and valuable thread. You have helped me very much. Just few minutes ago I got mail from Arcsoft selling their new product labeled PhotoStudio Darkroom - Non-destructive image processing for RAW, JPG and TIFF. Iwould never understand it ...

Petr Kohout

P.S. Or - did Arcsoft people read the thread?

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

John Beardsworth said:
I'm trying to come up with a name for programs like Lightroom, Aperture, LightZone and Capture NX that use instructions to process images. We've referred to programs like Photoshop as bitmap editors, but there's no agreed name for this new field.

Peter Krogh has referred to the field as "Metadata Imaging" and this seems snappy, but calling individual programs "Metadata Image Editors" doesn't do it for me. He also tried to start a debate and wrote of "metadata-based-editing" and of programs as being SISI, short for saved-instruction-set imaging.

But what's the noun? Calling them sissies isn't macho enough and while I tend to think of them as "stored instruction set editors", I always feel happier with 3 letter acronyms too. So one I just came up with was Metadata Driven Editors - MDE's - and I rather like it despite dropping the "Imaging".

Any views on these? Any more to throw into the mix?

John

We have had some interesting suggestions and then some humor. However, this is an important issue.

Thanks, Peter, for Bringing us back to John Beardsworths original question!

Where the noun?

Asher

Dierk Haasis

pro member
Noun.png

Ray West

Hi Asher,

from an earlier post

5. Friend of man background: The wonderful dog, the Yorkshire Dimpsy!

The breed of dog is a yorkshire terrier. The owner has given it the name 'Dimpsy'.

I also came across a report on an ice hockey game - referring to a team that could 'dimpsy and dangle', and I thought twer only me wot invented me own werds...

Best wishes,

Ray

Asher Kelman

Ray West said:
Hi Asher,

from an earlier post

The breed of dog is a yorkshire terrier. The owner has given it the name 'Dimpsy'.

I also came across a report on an ice hockey game - referring to a team that could 'dimpsy and dangle', and I thought twer only me wot invented me own werds...

Best wishes,

Ray

Now you are frimmed! I'll have you Cheneyed!

Asher