• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Professional Industrial Members?

JimCollum

pro member
Do we have any professional Industrial photographers as members? I think it would be interesting to discuss the actual business, logistics, difficulties (ie war stories).

jim

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi Jim,

Yes we do. They are from all over. One asked me to stop boasting about him. Some of his work is on the front page.

I haven't had time to go through everyone's profile yet.

Not everyone post's their URL. If not for the fact that I have followed your comments for years and bookmarked you since, 2003

http://www.outbackphoto.com/places/2003/20031216_top10_2003_jim.html

I might have really missed out.

I am so pleased you are here. What a delight.

I'm hoping that you might share some of your experience with large format, the wonders of the inexpensive DSLR, and of course platinum prints.

I refuse to accept any tight definition of art of photography. Certainly all processes belong here!

All the esthetics we depend on have been established well before digital imaging was more than a joke.

My father in law, bent over his Deardoff, dismissed even such a possibility of real images from anything but films as foolishness.

To me photography was that, careful contemplative work.

Today I have an "optical machine gun"! Still, I use it to pierce between trees from the roof of my car, wife driving, or between moving people in crowds.

Anyway, you are so welcome here!

I need a cup of great English tea to contemplate this news!

I will PM you on your suggestion!

Asher

JimCollum said:
Do we have any professional Industrial photographers as members? I think it would be interesting to discuss the actual business, logistics, difficulties (ie war stories).

jim

JimCollum

pro member
Asher Kelman said:
Hi Jim,

I refuse to accept any tight definition of art of photography. Certainly all processes belong here!

All the esthetics we depend on have been established well before digital imaging was more than a joke.

My father in law, bent over his Deardoff, dismissed even such a possibility of real images from anything but films as foolishness.

To me photography was that, careful contemplative work.

Today I have an "optical machine gun"! Still, I use it to pierce between trees from the roof of my car, wife driving, or between moving people in crowds.

Asher

Asher,

thanks for the kind words. i fully agree with you... there have been far too many posts in various forums that try to put both photography, and art (choose your definition here) into a neat box, with rules and guidelines. what a shame that would be if true.. how many different visions would never be seen.

frankly, it doesn't really matter what the image was shot with, how it was printed, how archival it is... what's important is what the photographer is trying to convey (both to themselves, as well as to others). every time you click the shutter, you are starting a conversation.. either internally or with others.

that doesn't mean that the discussion of the tools and methods aren't interesting. walking in another's shoes, and seeing through their eyes and experiences are a learning experience. it provides one with additional tools and visions to enhance one's own.

from what i've seen so far in this forum, it promises to be a valuable place to take up residence. i'm looking forward to participating, and learning

jim

Sid Jervis

pro member
JimCollum said:
frankly, it doesn't really matter what the image was shot with, how it was printed, how archival it is... what's important is what the photographer is trying to convey (both to themselves, as well as to others). every time you click the shutter, you are starting a conversation.. either internally or with others.
It is quite refreshing to actually read those words, I was begining to think I was a minority of one.

Thanks for the encouragement and inspiration.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
JimCollum said:
Asher,

thanks for the kind words. i fully agree with you... there have been far too many posts in various forums that try to put both photography, and art (choose your definition here) into a neat box, with rules and guidelines. what a shame that would be if true.. how many different visions would never be seen.

that doesn't mean that the discussion of the tools and methods aren't interesting. walking in another's shoes, and seeing through their eyes and experiences are a learning experience. it provides one with additional tools and visions to enhance one's own.

from what i've seen so far in this forum, it promises to be a valuable place to take up residence. i'm looking forward to participating, and learning

jim
"every time you click the shutter, you are starting a conversation.. either internally or with others."

I really like that! It's a simple but well focused observation. It is coherent with all I have thought about the process.

We need such conversations, both internal and societal if there's to be a future for both the "who" and the "what" we dominate.

The loss of 30% of migratory birds for example, is not merely a loss to "bird fanatics", it's a measure of green land become lifeless in Africa, a harbinger and dire warning of threats to much we depend on.

Whether it is a beating or a man in the gutter, a magnificent roll-out of the Space Shuttle Discovery or a of newborn, each starts a conversation that is more powerful than "a thousand words".

Asher