View Single Post
Old July 12th, 2016, 07:51 AM

Our new Asus PA248Q display unit ("monitor") arrived late yesterday afternoon (2016.07.11) (we are at the very end of our UPS delivery route).

It is lovely!

In reviews, note is always taken of its very nice stand. It provides of course for tilting the screen, but also for "twisting" the unit from side to side (not sure exactly what that is for but it works very smoothly). The stand has a telescoping column, allowing the unit's height above the desk to be changed. This functionality seems to include a spring counterbalance, and there is no "latch".

Finally, the screen can be rotated to a "portrait" orientation, typically of interest when composing newspaper pages and the like. There is no provision for automatically advising the display adapter of this, so changes there and in applications would have to be done manually.

In the estimable German computer equipment review site "PRAD" (to which Michael Nagel kindly referred us), in its extensive review of this machine, the reviewer (Damian Köb) commented that the vertical movement was "jerky" or some such, but I do not find that in our copy.

The screen of this machine is substantially larger than that of the old faithful ViewSonic unit it replaced, a "24-inch class" screen (the ViewSonic machine was "20 inch"). The screen dimensions are about 20.4 in × 12.75 in (aspect ratio of 16:10, just as for the ViewSonic). The native resolution is 1920 px × 1200 px.

I am in no position to judge the accuracy of the machine's color rendering (more on that later), but everything looks wonderful!

It does not exhibit in the slightest the Color shift" of text being scrolled that was exhibited by two earlier candidates to replace the original ViewSonic machine (both lower-cost ViewSonic models. (This may have been a result of those machines' response times coupled with the use of the ClearType system on the computer. But I did not have this with the original ViewSonic machine, with a similar speed rating, and the new Asus machine has an even slightly response time rating.)

I ran a full calibration and profiling run on the machine with my Spyder3 Elite system. The report at completion indicated excellent conformity to the sRGB primaries and a very small delta E (residual color error) value (although I did not write that down nor print out the report).

The PRAD review was critical of a nonlinearity in tonal response in the "Custom" mode (I have to yet figure out exactly what that is), but as a result the reviewer rated the machine only "satisfactory" ("satisfying" is the literal translation) rather than, perhaps, "good", "very good", or "even excellent". Hopefully, whatever that shortcoming is, it is alleviated by the population of the machine's LUT (look up table) by the calibration process I did.
The rather more costly Asus PA249Q - thought to be the successor to the highly-rated PA246Q, now discontinued - was also found by Herr Köb to have this same deficiency, and was similarly rated "satisfying".
In any case, for the moment, I am indeed "satisfied".

The machine has a nice set of small clearly marked, easy to operate but unobtrusive buttons on the lower part of the right bezel. Actually, one of them is a little "joystick" (reminiscent of those on laptop keyboards, but smaller) that is used to navigate the on-screen menu system. I still have to probe its goodies.

Two of the buttons are "customizable", and an be programmed to bring up various menu items. By default they bring up setting panels for contrast and brightness.

The machine has brightness to spare. At the moment, it is calibrated on the basis of a full white screen luminance of 140 cd/m^2, and to do that, I has to set the machine brightness to 34 on a 0-100 scale! That brightness works well for me during both daylight and nighttime environments.

The machine has an extensive set of input connectors, rather clearly marked and fairly easy to use.

One input route is USB3, and as a follow on, the machine has four USB output ports mounted on its left edge, where they could be used as utility ports in one's operation.

Interestingly enough, along the bevels of the bezel immediately (adjacent to the screen proper) on the bottom and right edges are "ruler" scales in cm. (They are unobtrusive, and many users would not even notice them.)

We we of course be learning more about this machine over the time to come, and I will report any remarkable findings here.

I'll post a photo of the machine in situ as soon as I clean up the mess around it.

In any case, so far, I am delighted.

Best regards,

Doug