View Single Post
Old July 14th, 2009, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart_van_der_Wolf View Post
The verticals were vertical because I placed the camera back vertical (parallel to the box edges). No other post processing was done to correct for keystoning.
well, then distortion is really low! I opend your image in PS and verified it.

Quote:
I have the Ec-S groundglass in my camera, so the viewfinder is a bit darker when using a lens like this f/3.5 . It is however very accurate and allows to judge the tilted sharpnes (and I've AF microadjusted the lens, so I get a focus confirmation (beep) if the focusposition is covered by one of the AF sensors). It can beused like that when not shooting from a tripod. However, when shooting with a tripod, Live View is so much more accurate that I use that a lot. Shooting tethered is of course another option which also offers a larger preview.
Yes, I'd think that livewiew and microadjustement are a big help in these situations, when precision is required.

Quote:
Yes, that's a perfect tool to get inside the streets of a scale model or inside a building if the roof is removed. The TS-E 24mm is too bulky for that (82mm filter diameter! The Pola filter was expensive), and it's a staight shooter, not at 90 degrees without a mirror. Might be an interesting DIY experiment, constructing a (front surface) mirror gizmo.
I don't want to make that out of the TSE. But I rather triy to understand, how this lens can be used for model shots or close-ups.

Quote:
Yes the tilt, but also the deconvolution sharpening. I used more sharpening than needed at f/8 or wider, to compensate for the diffraction at the pixel level. At a 300 PPI output size, it would be hard to see the difference between f/11 and f/16 (apart from the DOF gain) in a print. But when planning for larger output, the trade-off becomes more difficult.
The difference 11 vs 16 looked bigger than usual.
I know deconvolution sharpening from RAW Developer, and use it a lot. I agree, the end format plays a important role in sharpening.

Quote:
Better! This lens (just like it's 17mm sibling) also allows to choose between parallel or crossed (or an angle in between) Shifts and Tilts without screwdriver.....
Thats great: if on location you have to switch from portrait orientation to landscape....
Quote:
Indeed. It's a very versatile lens, offering many creative possibilities in addition to its technical problem solving ones (just like a view camera, but in a smaller package). It is expensive and heavy though. Bart
Did you already tried to get te NNP? Is it at the front ot in the middle of the lens?
Might be important - my 14-24 has the NNP pretty at the front - it would require a special, aka longer panohead.