• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

And the lens says "Leica"

Doug Kerr

R00256-01-S800.jpg

Douglas A. Kerr: Cold 'n' Hot

Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS100
f/3.6, 1/30 sec, ISO 1600
13.6 mm (37.4 mm ff35 equivalent)

The shot shows my "evening snack", in this case comprising some delicious ice cream and a nice cup of coffee (Carla has a special one-cup coffee maker she uses for this nightly event, as the regular coffee maker doesn't seem to do well with a "one-cup" order.)

This is the first "published" shot from our new camera (arrived just yesterday), a Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS100. This is a lovely easily-pocketable camera with a 20.1 MPx, "one inch" sensor (2.75×, in one way of looking at it). It has a permanent 25-250 mm ff35 equivalent, f/2.8-5.9, Leica-branded lens.

This is the latest step in our program of "downsizing" our camera arsenal. This is in part motivated by the fact that I don't get around as readily as I once did, and walk with a cane, so the schleppage of even our beloved Panasonic FX1000 can become problematical for a lot of adventures.

In fact, we have for some while been well-served in that regard by our Canon PowerShot G16, but I wanted something with an EVF, a larger sensor, and a lens with a greater range of focal lengths.

I opted for the version of the ZS100 with what Panasonic calls the "silver" livery, which is actually a very nice two-tone silver-gray with a prominent red accent. We see it here in a manufacturers' shot, with the lens extended (to its minimum focal length position):

1452019041000_1213207.jpg

Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS100​

As with the G16, the lens retracts almost fully into the body, and has an integral "eyelid" to protect it when the camera is in my pocket.

We had looked into the successor model, the ZS200. It is said to have a better EVF, and has a lens with a larger zoom ratio (but that would have almost certainly led to further compromises in optical performance).

The EVF in this machine is really quite nice, however. It is located in the opera-left corner, so (when using the right eye on it) this avoids the problem of noseprints in the display panel. Panasonic, by the way, calls this organ a "Live View Finder"; I wonder what other kinds there are. (Although I did have a camera once with a dead viewfinder.)

The display panel, bu the way, is touch-sensitive, which turns out to be very nice for such things as relocating the focus point and even navigating the menu system.

Many reviews of this machine have commented that the images are a bit soft in some cases. We'll see how that works out here.

In any case, it is a lovely machine, and I'm well pleased to have it. It was, by the way, an anniversary present from Carla.

Best regards,

Doug

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
R00256-01-S800.jpg

Douglas A. Kerr: Cold 'n' Hot

Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS100
f/3.6, 1/30 sec, ISO 1600
13.6 mm (37.4 mm ff35 equivalent)

The shot shows my "evening snack", in this case comprising some delicious ice cream and a nice cup of coffee (Carla has a special one-cup coffee maker she uses for this nightly event, as the regular coffee maker doesn't seem to do well with a "one-cup" order.)

Interesting composition. If you were already famous for photography, this printed 10 ft high would be admired by all as an anti-heroic, demonstration of your disdain for both “arbitrary” or “some-rule-based” composition. Folk would listen intently as the curators voice on the rented museum headphones explained how this work opened new vistas to other photographers who followed in your footsteps. Then I an my elk would be totally convinced we knew a lot more than those who didn’t have the fortune to get the fewctickets available for the last day of your 50 year retrospective. Honestly, this one picture, with the right famous name, could indeed have folk lining up to understand the inobvious but mundane view of your “Night Snack!”

On a different note entirely, Doug, it seems you’re “Right-Handed” as immediately I thought, how am I supposed to use that spoon and take a sip of coffee!

....and BTW, you take coffee to guarantee you’ll wake up to pee? I try to take no caffeine after about 6 pm or I end up working until 3:00 am!

This is the first "published" shot from our new camera (arrived just yesterday), a Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS100. This is a lovely easily-pocketable camera with a 20.1 MPx, "one inch" sensor (2.75×, in one way of looking at it). It has a permanent 25-250 mm ff35 equivalent, f/2.8-5.9, Leica-branded lens.

I agree, this is a superb choice and perfect as the one camera to travel with. I tend to carry a small Ricoh GR and return for any formal landscape shots with a MF camera before sunset.

1452019041000_1213207.jpg

Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS100​

As with the G16, the lens retracts almost fully into the body, and has an integral "eyelid" to protect it when the camera is in my pocket.

We had looked into the successor model, the ZS200. It is said to have a better EVF, and has a lens with a larger zoom ratio (but that would have almost certainly led to further compromises in optical performance).

The EVF in this machine is really quite nice, however. It is located in the opera-left corner, so (when using the right eye on it) this avoids the problem of noseprints in the display panel. Panasonic, by the way, calls this organ a "Live View Finder"; I wonder what other kinds there are. (Although I did have a camera once with a dead viewfinder.)

The display panel, bu the way, is touch-sensitive, which turns out to be very nice for such things as relocating the focus point and even navigating the menu system.

Many reviews of this machine have commented that the images are a bit soft in some cases. We'll see how that works out here.

In any case, it is a lovely machine, and I'm well pleased to have it. It was, by the way, an anniversary present from Carla.

Best regards,

Doug

Congrats on your anniversary and this present from your amazingly photogenic and sociable Carla! We all wish you many more years of partnership, joy and clicking at smiles, swimsuits, (or not, and sunsets!

Doug Kerr

Hi, Asher,

Congrats on your anniversary and this present from your amazingly photogenic and sociable Carla! We all wish you many more years of partnership l, joy and travel despite the challenges we elder humans gather in our journeys here!

I am so fortunate to have this wonderful woman in my life, and so grateful for the wonderful experiences we have every day together.

She is a busy girl. She just finished piecing the top of a small quilt to be a gift to her son. She had over 15 years ago made quilts for almost everybody in the family, but for some reason his didn't ever come fully to fruition. So she decided she needed to do it now.

We no longer have a quilting machine (we shed our last one when we moved to New Mexico) so she will have phase of the job done by a woman here in Alamogordo who is extremely skilled. (She quilted another quilt Carla did a few months ago).

And now after a bit of a hiatus she has picked up writing the third volume of a trilogy, an extended historical novel loosely based on the life and travels of a few of her Cherokee ancestors. We self-publish these works, doing all the formatting and layout of the interior, and adapting the cover art, which so far has all been done by others, to deliver a "camera-ready" package to the actual printer (Lulu.com). But for this one we will do the cover art ourselves.

But early in August she will go to New Orleans to the annual international convention of the Red Hat Society. (I don't go to those with her anymore, in part because the travel is getting tough for me). When she gets back there will be a one-day gap, and then we leave for North Texas where her kids will be holding a gigantic party for Carla's 80th birthday (actually rather a family reunion).

When we get back, she has about a one week turnaround before she leaves for South Dakota to attend a regional Red Hat Society function.

These young chicks can wear an old geezer's ass out!

We have a meeting tonight, final preparations by our theater company for a improvisational murder mystery evening to be held (tomorrow night) sponsored by the city at the Civic Center. Carla and I play characters not-too-loosely based on Thurston Howell IIII and his wife "Lovey" in "Gilligan's Island".

Then, the next morning, she will go with her Red Hat Society chapter for a shopping and lunch expedition to a historic area in a nearly city.

This past Monday she got up at 2:15 in the morning to drive one of her friends and his son to El Paso where here son would catch a plane to Europe, where he works. She did the same (not quite that early) about 10 days earlier when the son flew in.

Best regards,

Doug

Peter Dexter

I had a Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 which came out in 2013. I chose it because it was the camera Leica rebadged as it's own point and shoot offering. It was an impressive little package at the time though the images it produced weren't top drawer. It died completely in 2017 despite suffering no accidents so not a camera you would plan on leaving to your next of kin.

Doug Kerr

Hi, Peter,

I had a Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 which came out in 2013. I chose it because it was the camera Leica rebadged as it's own point and shoot offering. It was an impressive little package at the time though the images it produced weren't top drawer. It died completely in 2017 despite suffering no accidents so not a camera you would plan on leaving to your next of kin.

Nice to hear of your own experiences with a Lumix.

Best regards,

Doug

Asher Kelman

The enemy of these cameras is dust that jams the retractable lens! So, if one has a possibility. Try to keep it in a purse or case or plastic bag. The latter is a good idea to have anyway when one is coming in from the cold in winter time. That way any condensation will be excluded from the camera!

Asher

Doug Kerr

Hi, Asher,

The enemy of these cameras is dust that jams the retractable lens!

The last time we had a failure of that general type was when Carla spilled a Piña Colada into her purse, where she had her G16.

It is really the eyelids that are the most vulnerable.

So, if one has a possibility. Try to keep it in a purse or case or plastic bag.

Very prudent, but I'm afraid that this doesn't fit too well into my modus operandi.

"Excuse me, my dear, but would you mind holding that pose, with your blouse gaping open, while I whip it out of my sporran."​

The latter is a good idea to have anyway when one is coming in from the cold in winter time. That way any condensation will be excluded from the camera!

I will certainly keep that in mind if I move to someplace where it is cold in winter. and where there is any moisture in the air to condense. Here, in the hole in North America's meteorological doughnut, the only temperature that gets real low is the dew point.

We do of course get rain. My system shows 3.43" so far this year, but this is just the beginning of the rainy season. We are on track to get perhaps 9.5" for the year. It mostly comes at night, per the Arthurian dictum.

Thanks.

Best regards,

Doug

Robert Watcher

Hi, Asher,

Very prudent, but I'm afraid that this doesn't fit too well into my modus operandi.

Doug

Your comments and Asher’s suggestion got me thinking !!!

Making use of my wife’s purse (being that is a willing participant), works very well for me when I just feel like wearing a t-shirt and jeans (pockets to small and tight to fit anything more than my iPhone) when walking downtown and around the city.

Anne always has her shoulder strap flat purse on her, because it looks good and holds her credit card pouch, smart phone or iPad mini. You would never know she had a full interchangeable lens camera in there - my Olympus EM10 w/ 14-42mm kit lens - for when I come across something and want to take a shot. She would be totally content with this little Lumix you have. LOL.

BTW that Lumix is a very pretty little camera.

See if you can figure out which pic is the purse with and without the camera in it.

ABE3E709-818D-4E8C-BDD3-A893B1A5A69E.jpg

CF71AF74-D224-4485-8D3F-A795ED81E343.jpg

6834787F-832B-4175-91CC-616DEB504705.jpg

Asher Kelman

Robert,

That is one handsome camera bag! I love the design! I would think that the camera is in picture # 1, but that is just my best guess as it looks so damn flat! ??

ABE3E709-818D-4E8C-BDD3-A893B1A5A69E.jpg

CF71AF74-D224-4485-8D3F-A795ED81E343.jpg

6834787F-832B-4175-91CC-616DEB504705.jpg

Doesn’t grab as much attention as a camera bag advertising valuable easily sold gear!

Asher

Robert Watcher

Robert,

That is one handsome camera bag! I love the design! I would think that the camera is in picture # 1, but that is just my best guess as it looks so damn flat! ??

Doesn’t grab as much attention as a camera bag advertising valuable easily sold gear!

Asher

It’s not a camera bag. It’s my wife’s purse - lol. She’s just kind enough to throw my camera in there when I don’t feel like taking my backpack with me or walking around with a camera in my hand, when we are going out for supper, situations like that —- being she always has her purse with her. Camera is in pic one.

Jerome Marot

There is a wealth of non-photographic bags available for women and for men. If one searches a bit, there are also inserts of somewhat standard sizes. Here is one:

thumbnailimage.aspx

Combining the two produces an inconspicuous camera bag.

Jerome Marot

"Excuse me, my dear, but would you mind holding that pose, with your blouse gaping open, while I whip it out of my sporran."

I don't remember seeing the resulting picture posted here. Did you take it with the new or with the old camera? ?​

Doug Kerr

Hi, Jerome,

I don't remember seeing the resulting picture posted here. Did you take it with the new or with the old camera? ?

I'm sorry, I actually missed that shot while I was taking my camera out of the gallon plastic bag.

Best regards,

Doug