• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Need help please..

fahim mohammed

I am stuck! Need help in 101 form urgently.

Set-up

I have my latest iMac set-up running OSX 10.8.4
I am running CS6-ACR Bridge on it.

I bought an external WD 3T hard-disk for general b/u purposes. Copying image folders ( and their sub-folders ) from the machine HD and additional external ones.

I have formatted it for Mac OSX file system. But not using it with Time Machine or for routine auto b/u.

Problem:

Whenever I try to drag and drop a folder from one external hd to the new 3T HD I get the following error:

" You can’t copy “.BridgeCachet” because it has the same name as another item on the destination volume, and that volume doesn’t distinguish between upper- and lowercase letters in filenames. ".

Obviously I cannot go to each folder and erase the hidden .file
Guess it is created by Bridge when I use it to process images in a folder.

Every folder I try to copy comes up with the same error message.

Request:

Any suggestions as to how I might resolve this issue.

Thank you all in anticipation.

p.s I have tried to purge all cache thumbnails and previews stored from the Bridge preferences. But zippo!

Jerome Marot

If you want to see hidden files in the finder, open terminal and type:
defaults write com.apple.Finder AppleShowAllFiles YES

Then, you restart the finder (e.g. using "force quit").

When you are finished deleting the hidden file causing trouble, you'll type:
defaults write com.apple.Finder AppleShowAllFiles NO

(You can do the same with OS X tinker tools like Deeper.)

If you do not want bridge to write the hidden files everywhere, you uncheck "Automatically export cache to folders when possible" in the Bridge preferences, under "cache". Bridge will then manage its cache database in your home library (which will lead to other problems if you have many pictures).

fahim mohammed

Jerome, grateful for your help.

I shall try what you suggest ( after finishing dinner..having a pizza supreme as I type. ).

Shall let you know the results.

Once again my profound thanks.

fahim mohammed

A follow-up on this..

Jerome, displaying the hidden files and deleting them seems to have solved the problem.
Thank you so very much.

It did mean that I would have had to search/erase file in each folder. ( I had the Bridge Preferences for cache ' unchecked '.

Another method that someone recommended and I am trying now ( seems to be working so far!! )
was to get the source and target disks to both be either case sensitive/insensitive. This seems not to require erasing any hidden files in the folders that contain them.

Also I have learnt that one needs to be careful if the disk was previously on the NTFS file format.

Jerome, thank you once again and best regards.