• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Testers wanted for Android LF Film App

Terry Lee

Hey gang,

I just developed a little application for the android platform that I've been wanting for quite awhile. If you know me one of my camera beasts is 12x20, and I've hated hauling that beast around, setting it up, only to find that the image on the ground glass requires ANOTHER move of the beast!

So, I wrote a little android app that helps by displaying the camera preview and shows an approximate crop overlay for your film size and lens length.

The app also stores a list of your favorite film sizes and lenses.

Basically this allows me to walk around with my cell phone and find the "right spot" to set my beast for a given lens. It won't be perfect but it should be much closer than just eyeballing the scene.

ANYWAY I've been testing the app, but only have two devices, and thought I'd let folks on this forum have a look if you would like to play with it. It will be a free app, but it will have a little ad space on it. Don't expect to get rich off of it, but a few pennies will pay for more film ;-).

Your Requirements:

-Android device running 4.0 and greater with a camera
-Knowledge of installing/uninstalling an app by hand
-willing to give it a quick test
-don't hold me responsible for any issues or gotcha's that might happen on your device. (this is alpha code!)

If you are interested in playing with the app, drop me a PM with your email and I'll drop you a copy.

I'll be getting it on the Play store in the very near future and running a beta program thru there as well.

No plans in the short term for the app on iOS, sorry....That MIGHT change if I can find a platform to develop on however.....

Any other ideas for smartphone field apps feel free to toss them over, I love to nerd ;-)

Thanks!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hey gang,

I just developed a little application for the android platform that I've been wanting for quite awhile. If you know me one of my camera beasts is 12x20, and I've hated hauling that beast around, setting it up, only to find that the image on the ground glass requires ANOTHER move of the beast!

What a great idea.

I have a number of LF cameras to test it on, but alas no Android phone. I'll ask in my family whether there's one that's not used!

Asher

Terry Lee

You ought to post on the Large Format Photography Forum too. I bet you get a few testers there for sure.

Doug

Thanks Doug!

I will do that as well, wanted to get everyone on OPF a first crack ;-)

The app is in the Beta testing mode on the Play store. If you want to play with it, you don't even have to be a LF guy!

If you PM me your email address I'll add you to my Google Tester's group and you can download the app and have a go at it. App should be available later this afternoon. I do have a couple more tweaks to make on the app, but it is basically done. Really need testing on various devices out there before I put it out live, so if you have an android anything and want to give it a quick test, I'd appreciate it!

The app will actually work with any image sensor size, it isn't limited to LF, you could plug in your favorite sensor size/lens combination and have a run with it.....

RedBox.jpg

Terry Lee

App is now available for Beta testers on the Play store!

Quick way to join, just request to be added on the Beta testers Google Group, there is a link on the welcome page, allows you to opt in and select your device to install it on....

Let me know if you have any issues....it will be in Beta test mode a couple of weeks.

Terry Lee

Version .91 is now in Beta, has a couple of minor bug fixes/enhancements. Major add was a Bellows Exposure Calculator, just to help with my math while in the field. Will still run thru Beta testing for another week or more, join up if you would like to play!

Terry Lee

Final version is now in the Beta testing section of the store! Unless any major issues are found, it will go into production early next week!

Thanks again to all the Beta testers, there has been some great and very useful feedback!

Terry Lee

App is now on the Play store!

Big thanks to all the Beta testers!

The app is now Live on the Play store! Feel free to give it a download and play with it, even if your are not a large format guy!

Download it here!

Enjoy!

Terry Lee

LOL well once the ad revenue from this app allows me to buy the Mac gear....well in other words I won't be doing one any time soon! The good news is I'm pushing a buddy of mine to do an iOS version, if he can grab some free time he just might do it! OR if anyone on here wants to tackle a version feel free to reach out to me, I'd be happy to share the tricks!