• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Relative Speeds, Boot Camp vs Parrellels

Paul Caldwell

I originally stayed away from Parrallels based on my experience with "Virtual PC", the older virtual environment for Windows with mac.

What are people seeing as far as processing speeds.

I was reading over the installation manual and I saw that you obviously can't give all your ram to the XP environment (Virtual) with Parrallels. I guess you could go to around 1.5GB max without harming the mac environment.

I also saw that Apple is now touting Parrallels on their main site.

Thanks
Paul c.

Stan Jirman

Paul Caldwell said:
I was reading over the installation manual and I saw that you obviously can't give all your ram to the XP environment (Virtual) with Parrallels. I guess you could go to around 1.5GB max without harming the mac environment.

That depends what you mean by "hurting". My normal workflow requires a number of memory hungry apps, and even with my 4GB RAM I am still paging (more is on the way). If you then give Parallels 1.5Gs, you've lost pretty much half of it.

Not to mention of course the slight problem that even the newest pre-release requires that you have at most 3.5GB RAM in your machine, which is pretty hillarious given that there aren't any 256M chips for the MacPro (to give you a 512M ending figure). So I'd have to remove RAM out of my machine (or use a boot option to virtually strip it) just so that I can run yet another ravenous app? I don't think so.

They need to put their act together, or hopefully VMWare will kick their butt when they come out with theirs. Thankfully I don't really need to run Windows, and for the little bit that I do I have VirtPC on my Powerbook, or XP (native) on my MacPro.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Stan,

Explain XP running Native? How does that work? I have a number of G4 Powerbooks but haven't upgraded yet.

(I know 2 weeks after I do, Apple will double hte capability of their PB Pro line!

Asher

Cem_Usakligil

Asher Kelman said:
Stan,

Explain XP running Native? How does that work? ..
I assume Stan was referring to running XP on a Mac by means of Boot Camp (which is a dual-boot scheme) whereby only XP is running on the machine (i.e. no virtual machines involved).
I'm sure Stan will correct me if I'm wrong <smile>

Cheers,

Cem

Stan Jirman

Cem Usakligil said:
I assume Stan was referring to running XP on a Mac by means of Boot Camp (which is a dual-boot scheme) whereby only XP is running on the machine (i.e. no virtual machines involved).
I'm sure Stan will correct me if I'm wrong <smile>

Yup, that's exactly correct. Strictly speaking you don't need boot camp if you know your way with Unix utilities (that's how I have 4 boot partitions on my MP, where XP is just one of them). Boot Camp just adds convenience and some drivers which to a good part you could get elsewhere, too, or which you don't absolutely need.

Paul Caldwell

Parrellels

Stan, then as the ram requirement is 3.5 GB, a Macbook pro is out of the question anyway? As you can only get up to 2GB on that. I missed the ram requirement.

Paul

Stan Jirman

You missed the point: 3.5GB is the *MAXIMUM*. As such, you have no problems with a MB(P), but I have problems with my 4GB+ MacPro.