• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Confirmation of video issues on boot MBP and boot camp

Paul Caldwell

After reading someone's blog on their issues they were having with the MBP and XP/boot camp, it confirmed to me that the problems I have been having are mainly video.

My main repeating issue was that I was coming up on the main XP screen, and as the machine started to load the icon's in the systray (happens when your start up is run), the machine would either lock, or reboot.

After more research, I finally realized that here is where the "brightness" icon is being loaded in your systray during start up. When my machine would freeze it was when this particular item was being loaded. It would cause me to freeze about 1 out of every 3 boots or returns from hibernation.

I purchased a tool to edit my start up and took the brightness icon out. So far I am coming up clean. However from what I can tell, you have to have this loaded to adjust the brightness on the LCD. It's located in
Windows==System32==brightness.exe. I have found that when I kick off the exe the same problem will happen, so IMO it definately has something to do with the brightness.exe and the display driver/XP.

This means for now hibernation is not an alternative as you can close down the brightness.exe from your sys tray once it's open (at least I can't find a way to), and if you come back up from hibernation and the brightness icon is loaded, bang, you will have the same issue.

I report this on a 17" MBP, with the latest Apple firmware loaded, Microsoft XP, SP2. 1GB of ram.

Paul C.